Margaret Thatcher dies at 87

Margaret Thatcher dead

Subject of the Viva Hate song " Margaret on the Guillotine" has died today
British Prime Minister from 1979 until 1990 (?)
Morrissey also infamously wished her demise in the Brighton bombing of 1984
Wonder if we'll get comment on True to You?

Yeah, Thatcher f***ed the kids cos she took away the free milk, woo f***ing right on!

No, the whole milk for school children thing was pretty minor. There were other, more significant, things. They were, on balance, terrible.

As many others have posted songs about hating Thatcher I had to add mine:

Kitchens of Distinction "Margaret's injection":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfcM1c6LgAM

The best of the lot when it comes to anti-Thatcher songs if you ask me. But I will never celebrate or feel glad when someone dies.

Yeah, Thatcher f***ed the kids cos she took away the free milk, woo f***ing right on!

No, Savile f***ed the kids, Thatcher just sent him a thank-you letter for organising a party for them, She never knew he was on the dark side, Nobody did. not Esther Rantzen, not the BBC, not the police, nobody knew, nobody in any of her Tory cabinets knew.....WAIT!

For all the hatred, the snipes and the wise cracks, facts state,
1. she was democratically elected.
2. she was re-elected twice.
3. she was not democratically ousted from power by the public, but through internal politics of the conservative party.
4. she was the first and only female prime minister (to date).

iffy factish facts,
1. she was suposed to be hated, even before coming to power, but was elected and re-elected twice, when the country had the oppertunity to boot her out.
2. it was evident at the time, that the country saw her as a lesser evil, than the left wing politicians, union, and council leaders of the time.
3. she was probably to blame for the rise of watered down, noncommital politics we have today.
4. she empowered people/families to buy there own/buy council houses, and f***ed up the next generation with a housing crisis.
5. was pro nuclear weapons, but so have all the other leaders since, labour and tory.
6. privatised all the nationalised companies, which have not been reversed, with the exception of the odd bank or two.

just a few thoughts amongst all the rhetoric.
most politicians are wankers alive or dead.

3. she was not democratically ousted from power by the public, but through internal politics of the conservative party.

True, she was thrown out by her party, rather than the electorate, but then we also permit MPs to make all manner of laws without recourse to public opinion. That's how representative democracy/elective dictatorship works. Keep in mind that the electorate were still sufficiently supportive of the Conservatives, post-Thatcher, to re-elect them in 1992.

3. she was probably to blame for the rise of watered down, noncommital politics we have today.

The idea that contemporary British politics lacks conviction or ideology is overplayed. Yes, the Labour party abandoned all of its ideals and, post-1994, has no clue what it's actually for, largely as a result of Thatcherism and the New Right, but the Conservatives remain as committed to their ideology as they were in 1979.

She's only been in hell 12 hours and she's already shut down 6 furnaces

Best comment thus far; perfect! As an American, I will refuse to comment on the politics of another nation, as this seems to get us in trouble. I do, however, have an understanding of geography, history, and global politics. Unfortunately, many Americans do not, which is extremely embarrassing to those who do. Even if you have knowledge of another nation's political past, it is best not to impose a viewpoint because having an awareness of the situation is completely different than actually living through the experience. I think this topic is best left to the Brits to discuss. On that note, I have always wondered if the term "British" is offensive since there are different cultures involved? Do you support the philosophy of a "united kingdom" or would each country prefer to retain its own identity? I am not trying to be inflammatory; I am seriously curious about this issue.

Best comment thus far; perfect! As an American, I will refuse to comment on the politics of another nation, as this seems to get us in trouble. I do, however, have an understanding of geography, history, and global politics. Unfortunately, many Americans do not, which is extremely embarrassing to those who do. Even if you have knowledge of another nation's political past, it is best not to impose a viewpoint because having an awareness of the situation is completely different than actually living through the experience. I think this topic is best left to the Brits to discuss. On that note, I have always wondered if the term "British" is offensive since there are different cultures involved? Do you support the philosophy of a "united kingdom" or would each country prefer to retain its own identity? I am not trying to be inflammatory; I am seriously curious about this issue.

It's too convoluted to explain without writing a huge thesis. I was trying to explain to !Viva Hate! but gave up because, even though I've studied it extensively and live here, I can't make much sense of it. My solution is to completely bin the whole received opinion and start from the basics. There's 2 islands geographically with various political tribes and cultural tribes who over centuries have remixed themselves into a bizarre melting pot. Most of the people on the island of Ireland long ago had enough of some of the Norman Tory Whores campaigns of mass murder and broke away, but their own leaders turned out to be bonkers as well, so there's a huge Irish presence on the island of Britain for economic refugee reasons. The 'United Kingdom' concept is to do with one 'royal' family and a bunch of in-bred aristocrats trying to run the place since 1066. "British" means what you want it to mean, depending on your underlying ideological perspective, but if you were born or live on the island of Britain you are, to some extent. currently British. If you live on or were born on the island of Ireland you are, to varying degrees, Irish. There are places like the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands who are something else altoghether and they get really angry if they're called 'just British'. The Nazis invaded the Channel Islands so lots of Brits don't like the idea of recognising them as it means accepting we were under his thumb even slightly. Also, they are posh ponces and closer to France than Britain and full of snooty tax exile banksters. A lot of the seriously crazy people from these islands left/escaped/were expelled to American and the Antipodes. In America, they were finally free to be completely nutso and form the Tea Party in Appalachia whilst watching Fox News in their double-wide mobile,etc. We're glad those types pissed off, as we're now increasingly agnostic or atheist. Only Queen Elizarbeast 11's personality stop the Disunited Kingdom disintegrating, when her loopy son Charles takes over, it will all kick off as he'd have us all back with a scythe in the fields. Danny Boyle managed to single-handedly destroy the United Kingdom by naming his Olympic Opening Ceremony "Isles Of Wonder". It was the single most revolutionary art terrorist event ever to happen here, it was for us, we didn't give a damn what the rest of the world thought. We (or some of us) went all over the world enslaving other people, now complain cuz some of their kids have turned up to make London the most exciting (and expensive) place on the planet. That's why I know loads of Yanks who love it here despite the taxes and the weather (and they love not facing bankruptcy if they get appendicitis, etc).

The funniest comment on Thatcher's death was on Twitter by someone called "Diana.In Heaven" who tweeted: "No, she's not here!"

I am seriously curious about America as they might destroy the world like the Brits tried to do. This article from Joe Bageant is really, really good. In describing America he provides an extraordinary insight into the history and culture of these Isles of Wonder, a culture which,as far as I can see, is the most influential in history, for good and for ill. The whole mess started here, so it's plausible that the solutions might also emerge from this absolutely bonkers melting-pot cauldron of wet islands off the North West coast of Europa. Or from America. Same place, mostly..

http://www.dailypaul.com/133101/how-the-scots-irish-screwed-up-america

Interesting as usual, BB. I can't say I agree with much of it, but that's half the fun.

but if you were born or live on the island of Britain you are, to some extent. currently British.

By this you mean legally.

If you live on or were born on the island of Ireland you are, to varying degrees, Irish.

And, of course, British depending on which part.

----------------------

I was watching some of the celebrations of her death this morning, in Glasgow and Brixton, and was struck by the youth if some of the partygoers, many of whom couldn't have been alive at the time Thatcher left office. We've certainly seen the extreme left in its true colours in the last 24 hours. Miliband must be shaking his head in disbelief.

Whether people like it or not the unions had to be dealt with. They had been infiltrated by extremists including Militant amongst others and that could not continue. Dealing with the threat of the extreme fascist left was not left exclusively to Thatcher. Indeed, Neil Kinnock's speech at the Labour Conference in October 1985 expelling Militant was his finest hour. I concede that wasn't hard as he had so few, but the Labour Party itself knew that cancer had to be excised.

If it hadn't been Labour would have withered away to nothing, and the chances are the people would have turned to whatever the mainstream liberal party would currently been calling itself. The SDP presumably.

All politicians tend to be a hotchpotch of good and bad. Blair, minimum wage but Iraq, Thatcher, putting the unions back in their box but the Poll Tax, Reagan, the economy but Iran Contra, Clinton, jobs, and errr... blow jobs. (Only in America could getting sucked off by a woman be considered beyond the pale. In France they'd have given him the Presidency for life).

My point is a career like that of Margaret Thatcher cannot be distilled into black and white, whatever your prejudices might scream. It's rather more complicated than that.

Thatcher left office twenty-three years ago. For thirteen of those years Labour were in office. They chose not to roll back her policies. That speaks volumes.

Personal anecdotal evidence suggests most people who were born in Scotland or Wales regard themselves as Scottish or Welsh first, British second. The English are rather more confused about the whole England/ Britain conundrum for a variety of historical, political and cultural reasons and that's before you even start to talk about second or third generation immigrant folks. Scotland and to a lesser degree Wales have a stronger national and cultural identity compared to England.

Addressing Maggie explicitly the fact that the Tories as a political force hardly exist anymore in Scotland, Wales and the North of England (apart from the odd idiosyncrasy) tell you how divisive a Prime Minister she was.
The final ignominy will be when the Scots vote for independence in 2014, under the auspices of a Conservative Government.

Maggie the avowed Patriot presided directly and indirectly over isolationist relations with Europe, the selling off of gas and electricity supplies to the highest foreign bidder (ironically enough in some instances to companies controlled by the French state or with strong Russian or Chinese interests) the end of a manufacturing base in the UK which any strong economy requires to be a global force, the creation of a new category of class, the underclass and, quite possibly, 25 years after the end of her Premiership the end of the Act of the Union. What a f***ing patriot.

(And that's without mentioning her tacit support of apartheid Souh Africa and dodgy dictators)

I have to say that the tributes and obituaries in the national media have been far from fawning to her (apart from the usual suspects) which has surprised me quite a lot. I'll give her her dues though as a politician she would have wiped the floor with the non-entities we currently get to choose from our wonderful democracy.

Last edited:
Thatcher's legacy in Wales.

Large swathes of Wales are poorer than parts of Bulgaria, Romania and Poland and four-and-a-half times less prosperous than central London, according to latest official figures.

The European Union (EU) statistics also reveal the UK has Europe’s highest inequality of wealth in Europe.

The figures, issued by the EU’s statistical information body Eurostat, show Gross Domestic Product (GDP) throughout the EU for 2010 and the value of goods and services produced within each country per head of population.

Taking 100 as the EU average across all 27 member states, Wales as a whole had a GDP per head of 81. But while East Wales managed to hit the 100 average, West Wales and the Valleys languished at 70, the lowest figure in the UK. The highest, for Inner London, was 328.

At 70, West Wales and the Valleys was poorer than parts of Bulgaria, Romania and Poland, and than the whole of the Czech Republic (80), Slovenia (84) and Slovakia (84) – all countries that were part of the East European Communist bloc that collapsed more than 20 years ago.

Plaid Treasury spokesman Jonathan Edwards said: “These shocking figures confirm that once again the British State is the most unequal in terms of wealth in the whole of Europe.

Wales Online http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...ania-and-poland-91466-33131774/#ixzz2PxDRmDGJ

@Johnny Barleycorn & @Bluebirds.

Excellent comments. We're not here to agree or be nice, this isn't the House of Commons or House of Fraudz. And certainly not here to kiss Moz's international playboy arse, even if in his ravings, he imagine the Audience worship him, etc. He's just the focus for the evening, like any other lapdancer/singer inna da club. This site long ago became something that was only tangentially about him, he's starting to realise his Audience are far more interesting than his 'fans'. Or him...welcome to your learning curve, Mr almost-but not quite-a 'Star'..LOL!

The kids who weren't born? They're living with the neoliberal legacy. Only a total plank would say that Britain in the 70s didn't need ECT to turn it around. The tragedy is we got Thatcher AND Scargill, then Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron and Clegg. 30 years on we're out of gas and oil whilst American is planning to go it alone (again!) and leave us to deal with Putin and the ECB alone. But that's no problemo. "cometh the hour, cometh the man/woman/intersex being". It's not Farage, he's too enamoured of his own jokes and hasn't got the Alpha-Male pheremones, nor has Ed Milliband, who can't make up his mind whether to ditch the neoliberal new labour crap, tone it down, or actually go back to the roots of the Saxon/Celtic Army and put the sword to the corrupt Norman Overlords who've trashed this place since 1066. This is such an amazing vortex of a place, can't imagine why anyone with the choice would dream of living anywhere else, so Moz bottling it in 92 and running away to L.A. was just totally lame cop-out. I hope he comes back and sharpens his scalpel. London's over, it's just international trash now. He spoke once of moving to Kent, and he was right, it's places like Hastings and Margate where the new art terrorist action is. But nearly everyone is chasing the tail of Bristol, Manchester and whereever else was hip a decade or two ago. It doesn't work like that folks. We're in an arc through Mercia from Brum to Hereford to Stoke to Notts. Mostly economics and politics but might find time to put on a show.

Money's great fun, but chasing 'extreme wealth' is an absolute crime against The Tribal Code, that's what Normans do and we put them to the sword, have done since 1066. It's a build up to 2066 for us: the 1000 year Reich of the Royals will come crashing down. We won't live to see it but our children will. We're Brummies and we're Villans and Zulu Warriors. Thatcher fcuk'd with us and soon it's payback time. We want HS2 but not the snivelling coward culture of the Home Counties. If the Scots piss off, we've got a real battle on your hands to stop the descent into right-wing monetarist callousness. But our graves were opened recently on Cannock Chase, our gold was found and we are Mercia Rising. We have alliances with other tribes but only the Brummies blitzed to fcuk by the Lufftwaffe have the sheer bollocks to set it all off. No-one can stop us now. It might get LOUD!

http://www.staffordshirehoard.org.uk/

I'm pleased and relieved there were no riots last night. She deserved a quiet respectful funeral in Grantham, not a circus. She made it very clear she did not want public money spent on her funeral, but Cameron and his clowns won't respect that, she's no longer a human being, she's an icon for them to use for propaganda purposes. It's a serious provocation and I've been asked to organise a 'spectacular' but I'm so closely monitored it's probably already kyboshed just by folk inviting me in on it. Massive Attack are going to mash up Manchester this summer. Moz really needs to up his game if he still wants to be a player 'going forward' [sic]. There'll always be room for him in the squad, but if he don't stop the diva nonsense, he's back on the bench until he stops being a wanker. Swedes are up for it, too. Big time! they swarm here for the Premier and then decamp to Berlin to mash up reality and say "Fcuk yu Brits we do doom metal, doom movies and doom detectives, we wanna a piece of it, too!" And we say "all our problems come from one of your rogue tribes who you threw out of Scandinavia and who set up shop in 'France', only to fcuk with us in 1066. ok, make amends, join the mash up 'save the world or blow it up' party from 2012 to 2021. Like us, sounds like you're full of fire..lol!"

"liberals giving me a nerve itch!"

https://soundcloud.com/theknife/full-of-fire

I've been MIA, in Jake Sulley cryogenic sleep for a long time, a 'sleeper' but i've been 'activated' by the Tribe. And I'm up for it too. I hope Moz doesn't bottle it, lots of dreams riding on him not turning out to be a wazzock. We'll see. It's either revolution or slavery. Thatcher's death and the appropriation of it by others, is a very potent catalyst, but hopefully action that means something, not silly riots.

The wonder of yesterday was that The Daily Telegraph had to close every single comment thread to stop the protestors storming the 'Maggie was our hero' consensus. It was much worse than the Jubilee, much more offensive. Her funeral will be a circus and I expect fireworks. The disrespect is from those within her circle and outside who have decided to stage a propaganda 'bread and circus' event. Big mistake.

https://twitter.com/DianaInHeaven

As a woman I thought at long last a woman leader who had the opportunity to do great good for womankind. But she threw it all away!!!
Thatcher was, I am afraid to say an evil person. She ruined this country and we are now living with her legacy years later.

All republican bitter bastards that no nufin but to starve themselves then blame others that they die lol stupid only a taig cud blame sum1 else for them starving themselves lol

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom