Morrissey on the death of Margaret Thatcher, the press - statement at TTY

Margaret Thatcher - true-to-you.net
9 April 2013

The difficulty with giving a comment on Margaret Thatcher's death to the British tabloids is that, no matter how calmly and measuredly you speak, the comment must be reported as an "outburst" or an "explosive attack" if your view is not pro-establishment. If you reference "the Malvinas", it will be switched to "the Falklands", and your "Thatcher" will be softened to a "Maggie." This is generally how things are structured in a non-democratic society. Thatcher's name must be protected not because of all the wrong that she had done, but because the people around her allowed her to do it, and therefore any criticism of Thatcher throws a dangerously absurd light on the entire machinery of British politics. Thatcher was not a strong or formidable leader. She simply did not give a shit about people, and this coarseness has been neatly transformed into bravery by the British press who are attempting to re-write history in order to protect patriotism. As a result, any opposing view is stifled or ridiculed, whereas we must all endure the obligatory praise for Thatcher from David Cameron without any suggestion from the BBC that his praise just might be an outburst of pro-Thatcher extremism from someone whose praise might possibly protect his own current interests. The fact that Thatcher ignited the British public into street-riots, violent demonstrations and a social disorder previously unseen in British history is completely ignored by David Cameron in 2013. In truth, of course, no British politician has ever been more despised by the British people than Margaret Thatcher. Thatcher's funeral on Wednesday will be heavily policed for fear that the British tax-payer will want to finally express their view of Thatcher. They are certain to be tear-gassed out of sight by the police.

United Kingdom? Syria? China? What's the difference?

Morrissey
9 April 2013

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: From the Horse's mouth - TTY - Morrissey on the death of Margaret Thatcher, the p

Well... All we ever asked was, "did you have a good day?" :(

:tears:

Why do dead people always matter so much, I'll never know...And isn't a person dying just another step closer to death for everybody else, after all?

Re: From the Horse's mouth - TTY - Morrissey on the death of Margaret Thatcher, the p

Wonderfully put as alway Moz. We respect & agree with your views.
Love that he swore in it "give a shit" Go mozzer!
I am glad we have heard his real opinion.

It was reading really well and then his hyperbole goes into overdrive for the sign-off. Even if tear gas is deployed it won't be akin to China or Syria where people would face the prospect of being killed for protesting against a state/ ceremonial political event.

I can't wait till next Wednesday I hope the shit is going to hit the fan.

It was reading really well and then his hyperbole goes into overdrive for the sign-off.

I agree completely.

I once watched a Super Bowl celebration tear gassed by police. I don't think it's hyperbole.

It was reading really well and then his hyperbole goes into overdrive for the sign-off. Even if tear gas is deployed it won't be akin to China or Syria where people would face the prospect of being killed for protesting against a state/ ceremonial political event.

I can't wait till next Wednesday I hope the shit is going to hit the fan.

Even though I completely agree with Morrissey about Thatcher, you're correct about the hyperbole, Bluebirds. It so often diminishes his point.

Having said that, "She simply did not give a shit about people"... the man can be an absolute jewel of expression.

Margaret Thatcher > What a wank you are Morrissey...What exactly have you done for country sir? The answer is nothing...1979 genius your country was on the verge of becoming a third world country.

God he's good.

I once watched a Super Bowl celebration tear gassed by police. I don't think it's hyperbole.

Not using tear gas -- that may very well happen. The point that it's akin to China or Syria can be deemed hyperbole. Expressing yourself in those places can come with much harsher consequences. I suppose Morrissey's point may well be that there should be no consequences for public protestation, in which case a bit more finesse expressing that may buoy his point rather than derail it somewhat.

Comparing potential police brutality in Westminster with the brutality meted out at democratic protests in China is. Do you need a modern history lesson?

that was a nice read, thanks :thumb:
and yeah, a little hyperbolic, as others have said :o
still, I agree with about 99% of it :straightface:

"United Kingdom? Syria? China? What's the difference?"

Go on the frontline with the FSA or start a student demo in Guangzhou, you ludicrous old man.

I think you'll see the difference within approximately two minutes.

Of course, he could not keep his mouth shut. Notice that if someone does not hold his point of view, he or she is ridiculed and out down.

Buy, he must be correct, he is Morrissey.

He is now a disgruntled old man with no relevance.

I thought v this v was brilliantly worded, it really spoke to me:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/09/russell-brand-margaret-thatcher

give that man a State funeral!!! (no not now:rolleyes:)

Have a nice day Rushel.:thumb:

PS/ the shards bit had me... in stitches
and the "both boring and boring" : OooooOooooh!

Last edited:
Morrissey said something quasi-political and didn't completely embarass himself. In fact, I am rather proud to be a Moz fan after that statement.

It's a good day.

I read it on AYNIM. :blushing:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom