Morrissey on the death of Margaret Thatcher, the press - statement at TTY

Margaret Thatcher - true-to-you.net
9 April 2013

The difficulty with giving a comment on Margaret Thatcher's death to the British tabloids is that, no matter how calmly and measuredly you speak, the comment must be reported as an "outburst" or an "explosive attack" if your view is not pro-establishment. If you reference "the Malvinas", it will be switched to "the Falklands", and your "Thatcher" will be softened to a "Maggie." This is generally how things are structured in a non-democratic society. Thatcher's name must be protected not because of all the wrong that she had done, but because the people around her allowed her to do it, and therefore any criticism of Thatcher throws a dangerously absurd light on the entire machinery of British politics. Thatcher was not a strong or formidable leader. She simply did not give a shit about people, and this coarseness has been neatly transformed into bravery by the British press who are attempting to re-write history in order to protect patriotism. As a result, any opposing view is stifled or ridiculed, whereas we must all endure the obligatory praise for Thatcher from David Cameron without any suggestion from the BBC that his praise just might be an outburst of pro-Thatcher extremism from someone whose praise might possibly protect his own current interests. The fact that Thatcher ignited the British public into street-riots, violent demonstrations and a social disorder previously unseen in British history is completely ignored by David Cameron in 2013. In truth, of course, no British politician has ever been more despised by the British people than Margaret Thatcher. Thatcher's funeral on Wednesday will be heavily policed for fear that the British tax-payer will want to finally express their view of Thatcher. They are certain to be tear-gassed out of sight by the police.

United Kingdom? Syria? China? What's the difference?

Morrissey
9 April 2013

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Morrissey on the death of Margaret Thatcher, the press - statement at TT

There is no war on the poor, there is war on the lazy f***ers who suck from the public teat when they could get work. Unfortunately the innocent get caught in the crossfire. The government want to get the crooks and fraudsters off the public payroll, as do a majority of the public. Now, if you want to argue that they're going around it in any governments usual clodhopping one-size-fits-all fashion, I'd agree with you, but the basic desire is sound.

You're right to say there "is no war on the poor", as such, but the the idea that the Coalition Government's policy on "welfare" is geared simply toward reducing fraudulent claims and weeding out "lazy f***ers" is a gross misrepresentation of what they're actually trying to do. The most recently published data (for 2011/'12) showed that benefit overpayments arising from fraudulent claims amount to no more than 0.7% of the annual expenditure on social security; that's a mere 0.2% of all public spending. In each of the three years preceding that, the annual figure was 0.8%, and in the year before that, it was just 0.6%. (Data available here.) I agree that the Government should aim to minimise fraud, but the general public has a vastly inflated notion of how much fraud there is - research last year showed that, on average, people thought more than a quarter of expenditure on social security was a consequence of on fraudulent claims - and both Cameron/Clegg, and the New Labour administrations before them, were happy to capitalise on this ignorance and demonise benefit recipients as "scroungers" in a bid to soften-up public opinion in readiness for benefit cuts. Surprise, surprise, it worked!

(Incidentally, it's worth pointing out that Coalition policy on social security is no more than a continuation of New Labour's pre-2010 project. Blair's "welfare" policy, it should be added, was far more radical than anything attempted by Thatcher in this area... ...but this is getting away from the point.)

Philpott revelled in his infamy, as sociopaths often do, but the point put forward by Osborne, Cameron and the Mail that he was in some way a product of the welfare system holds some water. Working people cannot raise seventeen children. The sums don't add up without benefits. He used them and his vile women and should have been stopped years ago.

Philpott isn't representative of most social security recipients: 85.9% of them have no more than two kids; 97.6% have no more than three.

Some people do milk the system, we all know that. It seems it is with the word "some" confusion sets in. Say that some nurses, some teachers, some public sector workers need to get a grip and you are immediately met with cries of "Well, I'm a nurse/teacher/whatever and I'm not like that!" Well, we aren't talking about you then, are we? Shut up.

You're being disingenuous. It really tests credulity to assert that when someone like George Osborne talks in vague terms about the welfare state "subsidising lifestyles like that" of Mick Philpott, that they aren't insinuating and trying to instil the belief that moral depravity is, at the very least, common among people on benefits. This is how you start a moral panic among an uninformed public.

Let's dispense with the uncertainty, however, and be quite specific: the "some" people that you're referring to who "milk the system" equates, on average, with about a half of one per cent of social security expenditure (see above).

If Philpott had been dealt with when he was showing off on national television over the best part of a decade the likelihood is those children might well still be alive. It is shameful they were let down in such a way.

You could choose look at it that way if you were ideologically inclined to do so ... or you could say, if the local Social Services department had intervened effectively in this case to tackle the prolonged and ongoing domestic abuse in the household, then those children might still be alive.

No-one in their right mind wants the needy to go without. If those defrauding the system were weeded out those in real need could have more. A bloke of my acquaintance, now in his early thirties, has not worked in eight years since he was caught drink driving while working as a delivery driver. He's fit and well, but has been able up until now to claim DLA amongst other things. This is in the Thames Valley. it isn't in any way an unemployment blackspot.

There is nothing physically or mentally wrong with him beyond his inability to extricate himself from under the weight of his duvet in the morning. He knows the benefits system inside and out, and supplements his income by selling small amounts of skunk. He is now concerned he will have to come off DLA and get a job. Well woop-de-f***ing-do.

Yeah, yeah, everybody seems to know some ne'er-do-well who's on the fiddle. In my job, I hear this shit week in and week out. If he's actually claiming DLA fraudulently, just report him. The telephone no. is 0800 854 440.

I'm not entirely sure if Beveridge had people like him in mind when the welfare state was created. I suspect not. Don't blame the government for the current welfare situation, blame people like him, who steal from the public purse and take money from the sick and disabled. It's high time their gravy train hit the buffers.

Nope, Beveridge didn't have people like your allegedly lead-swinging acquaintance in mind. Having said that, however, Beveridge didn't have genuinely ill or disabled people in mind either, such was his lack of insight into disablement and its consequences. That's why benefits intended to compensate disabled people for their higher cost of living weren't invented until three full decades after publication of his Report.

Re: From the Horse's mouth - TTY - Morrissey on the death of Margaret Thatcher, the p

i don't see the point of the personal abuse.

neither do I. how tasteless, when everyone else here is so polite. and especially directed at 'anonymous'. how will they cope with everyone knowing BrummieBoy gave them an online facial? ...call the police! arrest BrummieBoy for abuse, under the category of 'others'. are you the same 'anonymous' who was subjected to abuse? or another one leaping to defend the other 'anonymous' who you've no idea where or who they are? unless you're a mod and also 'anonymous'? who knows? or cares? not me!

Re: From the Horse's mouth - TTY - Morrissey on the death of Margaret Thatcher, the p

"Genius eviseration"? I would hardly call it that. Reads more like some crazy lunatic blithering.

that's exaclty what it is, and i love that you are feeling it, babe! would you like a plate of milk?

Re: Article: Morrissey on the death of Margaret Thatcher, the press - statement at TT

It's not just the Rothschild family. It is also the Rockefeller family who are an American industrial, political and banking family that made one of the world's largest fortunes in the oil business during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, with John D. Rockefeller and his brother William Rockefeller primarily through 'Standard Oil'.

There are other elite families who are involved in this. The Illuminati bloodlines. The Royal family network across the world is also involved. David Icke has a new book out which is worth a read.

David Icke was the first to expose Jimmy Savile remember.

Is 'Hooky' on here Peter Hook? Are you really David Icke?
I'm not interested in David Icke's books, DVDs, Newsletters or his website. I doubt David Icke or Peter Hook would come on here.

What David Icke says about the Royal family changing shape to become 'lizards' and the 'moon matrix' stuff about the moon being a giant 'spaceship' with people inside it or aliens inside it is all rubbish.

Probably 70% of what David Icke says is true he was right about the Jimmy Savile case, but the rest is all rubbish. David Icke is into the New Age religion and he uses his strange spiritual ideas to confuse and worry people. I don't think he is mad. I think he is very clever and has made a lot of money.

It's not just the Rothschild family. It is also the Rockefeller family who are an American industrial, political and banking family that made one of the world's largest fortunes in the oil business during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, with John D. Rockefeller and his brother William Rockefeller primarily through 'Standard Oil'.

There are other elite families who are involved in this. The Illuminati bloodlines. They Royal family network across the world is involved. David Icke has a new book out which is worth a read.

David Icke was the first to expose Jimmy Savile remember.

Is 'Hooky' on here Peter Hook? Are you really David Icke?

Did the cognitive impairment happen at birth or sometime later? I'd be anonymous as well if posting that hogwash.

I read a book by David Icke. THen I got freaked out a bit and dismissed him, but I think he's onto some things without having the education to put the pieces completely together and filling in the gaps with the science fiction movies of his youth. I didn't know he exposed Jimmy Savile.

The most recently published data (for 2011/'12) showed that benefit overpayments arising from fraudulent claims amount to no more than 0.7% of the annual expenditure on social security; that's a mere 0.2% of all public spending.

My friend's brother worked with the benefit fraud investigation team in the DSS in Wavertree, Liverpool (early noughties). He said the majority of people caught cheating were doing very occasional, very low-paid casual work on the black economy or were bridging the gap between unemployment and employment. The number of people who were 'milking the system' to give themselves a higher standard of living than people in work was negligible. So the kind of scrounger the likes of the Daily Mail would have us believe is slouching on every other sofa in the land, represents just a small proportion of that 0.7%.

Unfortunately, certain self-serving sections of the media have grasped the public's ear and are shrieking into it daily.

Morrissey is right: "Repeated and repeated, words strengthen."

My friend's brother worked with the benefit fraud investigation team in the DSS in Wavertree, Liverpool (early noughties). He said the majority of people caught cheating were doing very occasional, very low-paid casual work on the black economy or were bridging the gap between unemployment and employment. The number of people who were 'milking the system' to give themselves a higher standard of living than people in work was negligible. So the kind of scrounger the likes of the Daily Mail would have us believe is slouching on every other sofa in the land, represents just a small proportion of that 0.7%.

Unfortunately, certain self-serving sections of the media have grasped the public's ear and are shrieking into it daily.

Morrissey is right: "Repeated and repeated, words strengthen."

I think this angle is more the brain child of the current government. The media just likes to way it sounds.

I think this angle is more the brain child of the current government. The media just likes to way it sounds.

It began under New Labour when they started to popularise the myth that social security fraud was rife among claimants, running publicity campaigns to target "benefit thieves". The Coalition have just picked up where the other lot left off. The vilification of claimants by the popular press is nothing new either. Papers like The Sun, the Daily Express and the Daily Mail used to print scaremongering headlines about "lazy single mothers" as a matter of routine in the 1980s.

"Let's pick and choose the parts of David Icke that don't freak us out too much and label those parts TRUE. The rest we'll ignore and laugh off."

You're right to say there "is no war on the poor", as such, but the the idea that the Coalition Government's policy on "welfare" is geared simply toward reducing fraudulent claims and weeding out "lazy f***ers" is a gross misrepresentation of what they're actually trying to do. The most recently published data (for 2011/'12) showed that benefit overpayments arising from fraudulent claims amount to no more than 0.7% of the annual expenditure on social security; that's a mere 0.2% of all public spending. In each of the three years preceding that, the annual figure was 0.8%, and in the year before that, it was just 0.6%. (Data available here.) I agree that the Government should aim to minimise fraud, but the general public has a vastly inflated notion of how much fraud there is - research last year showed that, on average, people thought more than a quarter of expenditure on social security was a consequence of on fraudulent claims - and both Cameron/Clegg, and the New Labour administrations before them, were happy to capitalise on this ignorance and demonise benefit recipients as "scroungers" in a bid to soften-up public opinion in readiness for benefit cuts. Surprise, surprise, it worked!

Didn't want to quote the whole post but loved all of it.

In Australia ( admittedly a few years ago now , so don't hold me to it) , welfare fraud was estimated at $AU300 million a year. White collar tax avoidance/evasion was estimated at $AU10 billion a year ...

Last edited:

Didn't want to quote the whole post but loved all of it.

In Australia ( admittedly a few years ago now , so don't hold me to it) , welfare fraud was estimated at $AU300 million a year. White collar tax evasion was estimated at $AU10 billion a year ...

Thanks for the compliment :)

Yeah, the tax situation is similar here. At the end of last year, a UK Parliamentary committee reported a shortfall in tax revenue (because of tax evasion [illegal] and tax avoidance [legal]) amounting to £32.2 billion in the year 2010/'11.

The Public Account Committee concluded that...

The hearings we held showed that international companies are able to exploit national and international tax structures to minimise corporation tax on the economic activity they conduct in the UK. The outcome is that they do not pay their fair share. We believe that this practice is widespread and that HMRC is not taking sufficiently aggressive action to assess and collect the appropriate amount of corporation tax from these multinationals. If companies do not pay their fair share of tax, other taxpayers have to pay more. Both HMRC and corporate taxpayers are failing to meet the legitimate public expectations from the tax system.

Although, as a loss to the public purse, unpaid tax was almost twenty-seven times greater than that lost through benefit fraud, you can guess which story garners greater ongoing coverage in the press (and we can see which issue causes people to vent their spleen on Internet message boards). Funny that.

I read a book by David Icke. THen I got freaked out a bit and dismissed him, but I think he's onto some things without having the education to put the pieces completely together and filling in the gaps with the science fiction movies of his youth. I didn't know he exposed Jimmy Savile.
I don't think it's the science fiction movies of David Icke's youth but more modern movies like 'The Matrix'. Hollywood and movies are just a fantasy world. David Icke has a point about high level pedophilia, MK Ultra and Satanic ritual abuse but a lot of the rest of what he writes about is hogwash. The New Age religion frightens me. David Icke seems to be anti the British education system, the Royal family and Christians. I don't think he has let his lack of formal education hold him back with the amount of books he has written.

Thats right "England is mine and it owes me a living" ! Well England gave you a good living so stop avoiding the taxman by living outside the country and pay up like the "working class" have to do otherwise just admit you are as Conservative as Mrs Thatcher ! Or is there no such thing as society ?
Double standards or what ? Like to have a say but don't wanna paye.

we'll let you know
This is why I see Morrissey as a hypocrite. David Icke and Morrissey are both rich men. I'm not sure Morrissey even votes anymore. Morrissey is not an unemployed 'man of the people' anymore. Manchester is a Labour heartland but the racist, right-wing BNP party is also growing in the North of England. These are very strange times we are living in.

He didnt expose Savile. Half of BBC Television Centre knew what was going on, it was an open secret amongst the glitterati. And as for shouting out about it Jerry Sadowitz exposed him in the late 80s/ early 90s but obviously Sadowitz doesn't believe in personality cults.

I'm only suggesting people shouldn't believe Icke is the new Messiah. He's not. Vulnerable people do like to believe his conspiracy theories tough, it helps fill in the gaps in their imaginations.

This is why I see Morrissey as a hypocrite. David Icke and Morrissey are both rich men. I'm not sure Morrissey even votes anymore. Morrissey is not an unemployed 'man of the people' anymore. Manchester is a Labour heartland but the racist, right-wing BNP party is also growing in the North of England. These are very strange times we are living in.
If Morrissey is a hypocrite for living abroad. Then isn't Andy Rourke also a hypocrite for living in New York? Andy Rourke is living in New York to avoid the taxman and is no better than Morrissey. The way I see it these celebrities are all as bad as each other.

Morrissey is probably living it up in the South of France now as we speak laughing his head off.

I always assumed tax dodgers lived in tax havens rather than countries where they have to pay tax.

I always assumed tax dodgers lived in tax havens rather than countries where they have to pay tax.
Southern Ireland is a tax haven if you are an artist/writer/musician and Morrissey has spent quite a bit of time there.

If Morrissey is a hypocrite for living abroad. Then isn't Andy Rourke also a hypocrite for living in New York? Andy Rourke is living in New York to avoid the taxman and is no better than Morrissey. The way I see it these celebrities are all as bad as each other.

Morrissey is probably living it up in the South of France now as we speak laughing his head off.
Morrissey left the UK for LA and attained American citizenship, to avoid paying the money awarded to Mike Joyce in the High Court. Morrissey also signed over all his UK properties to his family so that they could not be seized in lieu of said non-payment. I'm on Morrissey's side over the court case.

As for Andy Rourke debt problems maybe the reason he moved to New York. I heard he has had some debt problems in the past. I know rich people have off shore accounts to avoid paying tax and Swiss bank accounts. But I doubt Andy Rourke is on that level of wealth.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom