Fiona Dodwell: "How Morrissey outran The Smiths (and why his critics will never admit it)" (February 18, 2021)

1_rVMgi2j7_fn70rcypLXkLg.jpeg

How Morrissey outran The Smiths (and why his critics will never admit it)

Excerpt:

"There’s an emergence of voices rising from the rotting grave of political correctness lately, in a feeble attempt to somehow make Morrissey’s art into nothing more than a shadow of The Smiths. In reality though, to many, he was the beating heart of the much-loved 80s quartet and unlike his bandmates, he became so much more.
There are many voices online using the tired old trope, “I won’t listen to Morrissey because I don’t agree with his views, but I’ll always have The Smiths.” If this sentiment were limited only to the dull echo chambers of anonymous social media users, it might not be so bad. Yet it does not stop there."

Regards,
FWD.

Now linked to by Central:

Anne Marie Dorothy Waters (born 24 August 1977) is a far-right politician in the United Kingdom. She is the founder and leader of the anti-Islam party For Britain. She is also the director of Sharia Watch UK, an organisation launched in April 2014. In January 2016, Waters launched Pegida UK in conjunction with activist Tommy Robinson and far-right politician Paul Weston.

Speaking during a live session on BBC 6 Music, Morrissey told an audience at London’s Maida Vale studios: “I was very surprised the other day, it was very interesting to me to see Anne Marie Waters become the head of UKIP.

“Oh no, sorry, she didn’t. The voting was rigged. Sorry, I forgot.”

And she was in the Labour Party for 10 years.

The National Secular Society.

& a charity for Muslim apostates.

She was a gay rights campaigner, a feminist & a vegan.

The whole persona of the Smiths/Morrissey was based on empathy, emotional intelligence, compassion, anti-violence, thoughtfulness, sensitivity etc. So for Morrissey to then urge everyone to vote for the far right, well, it's almost surprising he's hung on to any kind of a fanbase at all.
It would be like Cliff Richard telling his fans he's an atheist, or Jimmy Somerville that he's homophobic. It couldn't have been more damaging.

If you looked at who he was interested in & why - it makes sense.

There's negativity and there's criticality and it's foolish to conflate the two. I mean, who or what does it benefit to be "positive" in the occasionally sycophantic manner of yours? Perhaps some people are here to be two-dimensional cheerleaders and some are here only to spread toxicity, but I think it's safe to assume that the majority of this community logs on for the prospect of interesting discussion.

I like you, Ket. But I've seen you come into threads about Morrissey's politics countless times with your moral relativism routine or even more recently the A-Z threads where you seem to discourage the age-old music nerd proclivity for ranking and categorizing an artist's work. I think you'd prefer if we all just knelt down and prayed to Morrissey without any nuance or scrutiny in mind. I can't imagine anything more intellectually-bereft on a fansite.

It may inspire severe nausea, but I actually like to read an articulate explanation as to why someone prefers "Jim Jim Falls" over "Now My Heart is Full." Just as I find it thought-provoking to read @Amy's criticisms of Morrissey's modern persona and creative output alongside @Nerak's pathological need to explain away every one of his questionable soundbites.

So, when you ask "why bother" it's for the simple reason that people generally post on messageboards as a way to organize their thoughts about a particular topic while bouncing ideas off of other people. Which is beneficial to the author, at the very least.

The flack he gets is bollocks.

It's also a sign of how crap our press is & as I have to deal with them every day, I have a particular interest.

If you looked at who he was interested in & why - it makes sense.
Only if you think he's genuinely foolish enough to think, "Oh, she's gay, Irish and vegan, that's enough for me to excuse all the other lunacy and pretend not to see it." He's not an idiot & even if he were, it's no defence.

There's negativity and there's criticality and it's foolish to conflate the two.

I’m taking about being continually negative which I feel is more harmful than gushing fanaticism or
the expression of love for the artists work and it’s importance to the individual.
I mean, who or what does it benefit to be "positive" in the occasionally sycophantic manner of yours?

You know you might get some answers from me if you didn’t resort
to insults.

Perhaps some people are here to be two-dimensional cheerleaders and some are here only to spread toxicity,

Yes, but we’re not here to talk about you. See, I can insult you too.

but I think it's safe to assume that the majority of this community logs on for the prospect of interesting discussion.
Yes they should then find plenty of interesting discussion, as long as they skip your posts. Sorry, I couldn’t resist.
I like you, Ket.

Aw :love:

But I've seen you come into threads about Morrissey's politics countless times with your moral relativism routine or even more recently the A-Z threads where you seem to discourage the age-old music nerd proclivity for ranking and categorizing an artist's work.

Wait, but I thought you said people come to this site for interesting discussion?
I think you'd prefer if we all just knelt down and prayed to Morrissey without any nuance or scrutiny in mind.
Why? just so you mozbots could come down heavy on me when I make a post judging Morrissey’s behavior as if I never did or said anything wrong in my own life?
I can't imagine anything more intellectually-bereft on a fansite.
Thanks for reminding us all that this is a fan site, unfortunately, all kind of riff-raff are allowed to post.

It may inspire severe nausea, but I actually like to read an articulate explanation as to why someone prefers "Jim Jim Falls" over "Now My Heart is Full." Just as I find it thought-provoking to read @Amy's criticisms of Morrissey's modern persona and creative output alongside @Nerak's pathological need to explain away every one of his questionable soundbites.

Don’t you think it may be Amy’s ‘pathological need to’ post criticisms of Morrissey's modern persona and creative output? In the same way that you assume that it’s Nerak’s ‘pathological need to explain away every one of his questionable soundbites.’ ???

carry on ‘doctor’. Lol.
So, when you ask "why bother" it's for the simple reason that people generally post on messageboards as a way to organize their thoughts about a particular topic while bouncing ideas off of other people. Which is beneficial to the author, at the very least.

Well they’ve been bouncing the same ball of hate back in forth to each other for years and years and years now, having a good ol’time! Seems to be a very ‘beneficial’ game, with no goal in sight! Lol.

btw your post should receive a thumbs up from the usual suspects,
but maybe that’s one of the reasons you made the post in the first place. ;)

I’m taking about being continually negative which I feel is more harmful than gushing fanaticism or
the expression of love for the artists work and it’s importance to the individual.

You know you might get some answers from me if you didn’t resort
to insults.

Yes, but we’re not here to talk about you. See, I can insult you too.

Yes they should then find plenty of interesting discussion, as long as they skip your posts. Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Aw :love:

Wait, but I thought you said people come to this site for interesting discussion?

Why? just so you mozbots could come down heavy on me when I make a post judging Morrissey’s behavior as if I never did or said anything wrong in my own life?

Thanks for reminding us all that this is a fan site, unfortunately, all kind of riff-raff are allowed to post.

Don’t you think it may be Amy’s ‘pathological need to’ post criticisms of Morrissey's modern persona and creative output? In the same way that you assume that it’s Nerak’s ‘pathological need to explain away every one of his questionable soundbites.’ ???

carry on ‘doctor’. Lol.

Well they’ve been bouncing the same ball of hate back in forth to each other for years and years and years now, having a good ol’time! Seems to be a very ‘beneficial’ game, with no goal in sight! Lol.

btw your post should receive a thumbs up from the usual suspects,
but maybe that’s one of the reasons you made the post in the first place. ;)
Yawn. A predictably defensive load of bullshit. Sorry babe, but your contributions typically have about as much as depth as Vegan Cro’s. Gushing fanaticism and relentless negativity are two ends of the exact same spectrum, one isn’t any more valuable than the other.

Yawn. A predictably defensive load of bullshit. Sorry babe, but your contributions typically have about as much as depth as Vegan Cro’s. Gushing fanaticism and relentless negativity are two ends of the exact same spectrum, one isn’t any more valuable than the other.

Awesome dude! :thumb: good come back!

Expect the usual suspects to thumbs up your post. Yawn.

There's negativity and there's criticality and it's foolish to conflate the two. I mean, who or what does it benefit to be "positive" in the occasionally sycophantic manner of yours? Perhaps some people are here to be two-dimensional cheerleaders and some are here only to spread toxicity, but I think it's safe to assume that the majority of this community logs on for the prospect of interesting discussion.

I like you, Ket. But I've seen you come into threads about Morrissey's politics countless times with your moral relativism routine or even more recently the A-Z threads where you seem to discourage the age-old music nerd proclivity for ranking and categorizing an artist's work. I think you'd prefer if we all just knelt down and prayed to Morrissey without any nuance or scrutiny in mind. I can't imagine anything more intellectually-bereft on a fansite.

:)

you log in for interesting discussion.:confused:
with who? the dumb butcher?:lbf:
with his galaxies of bishops:lbf:

The whole persona of the Smiths/Morrissey was based on empathy, emotional intelligence, compassion, anti-violence, thoughtfulness, sensitivity etc. So for Morrissey to then urge everyone to vote for the far right, well, it's almost surprising he's hung on to any kind of a fanbase at all.
It would be like Cliff Richard telling his fans he's an atheist, or Jimmy Somerville that he's homophobic. It couldn't have been more damaging.

And yet, he condones violence on those that are violent to animals.
Explain that?
Is it because he feels so strongly about an animals rights that he
would rather be called a hypocrite
or even damage his public image in
order that justice be done for animals?

What a strange and contrary fella our Morrissey is, no? Turn a blind eye if he felt it served a purpose that was more important to him than being
understood by the public or his fans.

:cool:

Johnny Marr is not friends with Peter Hook. Johnny Marr is friends with Bernard Sumner. Bernard Sumner and Peter Hook are not friends. Neither Peter Hook nor Bernard Sumner are friends with Morrissey. Johnny Marr is also friends with Stephen Morris and Gillian Gilbert. Stephen Morris and Gillian Gilbert are not friends with Peter Hook, but they are friends with Bernard Sumner. Johnny Marr worked on a Charlatans album with Stephen Morris. Tim Burgess is friends with Johnny Marr and Stephen Morris. Is Tim Burgess friendly with Morrissey? Status unknown, but doubtful.
Tim Burgess doesn't like Morrissey. Politically they are polar opposites. They are like chalk and cheese.

🧐
Great punk rock comeback 😴
spectrum? the butcher should sign you up to write some of his posts😐

Explain that?

What a strange and contrary fella our Morrissey is, no? Turn a blind eye if he felt it served a purpose that was more important to him than being

We need to make sure no one thinks about this too deeply or conjures up any opinion whatsoever! Just accept it for what it is with the utmost intellectually-devoid neutrality! Morrissey is the best! He’s a total legend! All of his songs are his best song and every single album is number one! No scrutinizing please! Case closed! No more discussion! :thumb::thumb:(y):highfive::clap:

We need to make sure no one thinks about this too deeply or conjures up any opinion whatsoever! Just accept it for what it is with the utmost intellectually-devoid neutrality! Morrissey is the best! He’s a total legend! All of his songs are his best song and every single album is number one! No scrutinizing please! Case closed! No more discussion! :thumb::thumb:(y):highfive::clap:
:rolleyes:
who is "we"? :straightface:
skinny? surface? that dimwit Melvin the Polish troll?
William the Conqueror?:crazy:

Explain that?

He is called a hypocrite because he is. He condones violence on those that are violent to animals (you stated this) - yet for decades he wore leather shoes, for example. Leather of animal beings who were cruelly murdered then he put their skins on his feet.

I can't wait you or Nerak jump to "explain" it isn't what it seems, in fact, Morrissey helped the animal cause by wearing leather :).

He is called a hypocrite because he is. He condones violence on those that are violent to animals (you stated this) - yet for decades he wore leather shoes, for example. Leather of animal beings who were cruelly murdered then he put their skins on his feet.

I can't wait you or Nerak jump to "explain" it isn't what it seems, in fact, Morrissey helped the animal cause by wearing leather :).
:rolleyes:

what a coincidence, you popping in at this precise time.😐
arent you suppose to have interesting discussions with BGVelcro yet.....:mad:
the trolls seem to have trolling timers in them.:blushing:

Politically you lot don't know your arse from your elbow.
Tim Burgess called Morrissey a "gammon" on Twitter back in 2018.

The Tweet is still there if you want to look it up Tim Burgess said "The irony of Morrissey being a gammon."

Tim Burgess doesn't like Morrissey and he doesn't want to be associated with his politics. They are polar opposites politically. You are mistaken if you think Tim Burgess is friends with Morrissey. I'm not claiming to be an expert on politics. I was just trying to point out that Tim Burgess doesn't like Morrissey. For what it is worth I like Morrissey and it was wrong of Tim Burgess to say what he said.

Nothing to explain.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Anyway, I already said that he was a strange and contrary fella.

:tiphat:

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom