Fiona Dodwell: "Your Arsenal: Revisiting Morrissey’s Iconic Album" (July 27, 2021)

Your Arsenal: Revisiting Morrissey’s Iconic Album

Revisiting Morrissey’s Your Arsenal As It Turns 29
When Morrissey parted ways with fellow band members of The Smiths in 1987, few could’ve predicted in which direction his music career would go. Would the solo Morrissey “sound” be vastly different from the iconic band? Few doubted that Morrissey’s unique blend of onstage charisma, vocal style and witty, raw lyrics were integral to the overall appeal of The Smiths — yet there was still the question of how he was going to carve out his own place, as he stood facing his future as a solo artist.

Regards,
FWD.

Different, as in unquestioning propaganda of a sort that would make Kim Jong-un wince?

It may just be a rumor, but I heard that Fiona is actually writing the liner notes for Bonfire !

we can all only hope that this is true
:pray: :cool:

It may just be a rumor, but I heard that Fiona is actually writing the liner notes for Bonfire !

we can all only hope this is true
:pray: :cool:
Are you just yanking chains and busting balls or do you genuinely like Fiona’s writing? Serious question. I think she’s a bit overbearing, but ultimately I don’t mind her. I don’t have to read her stuff.

Ket Unleashed. :popcorn:

:)

Yes very possible that Fiona, a great journalist, may write the liner notes for Bonfire.(y)

this is a current list of those who wont be asked:

Skinny and "surface"
ban bud
Melvin
the idiotic trifecta of moz nuts, old and sucks. moroons on the dole.
McMuffin Guzzler
the Cvnteneer, :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:
FC and the liquor rat, robocop
the little cloud that trolled, 'johnny ray'

all rejected.:hammer:

Phew! I'm glad this "think piece" rescued such a vastly underappreciated album from the dustbin of history. :straightface:

Fiona may not be an incredible writer, but nobody needs to be one to have a blog and publish whatever one feels like.

Sometimes, I'm bit critical of something she says in her articles on Morrissey, and sometimes I'm not. This time I'm not.

Whenever Fiona writes about Morrissey, she reminds and/or presents her readers the great artist that Morrissey actually is, and that's enough for me.

If I could, I'd do that for him as well.

Because you know... love.

may i suggest:

Why Every Morrissey Album Matters by Fiona Dodwell

just get it over with, fiona.

Aw, where is the fun in that ?

Nope. She will write about every record! one by one, slowly so slowly, stretching it out over the next few years.

She likes to watch you all squirm !

:p:cool:

Just for the record, no pun intended, she's not the one posting this article here.
She writes for 'medium.com' or The Riff from what I can ascertain. I assume FWD retrieved it and posted it here as it was considered to be of interest.
Fair point, but she’s been anointed by Morrissey himself (as she was charged with the responsibility of writing liner notes for This is Morrissey). So, given she’s accepted the role of a representative, and she’s not doing a good job of it, I think it’s reasonable to point out the short-comings. And (perhaps more pointedly) through the suggestion, wonder what it really is in her repertoire that Morrissey finds so admirable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair point, but she’s been anointed by Morrissey himself (as she was charged with the responsibility of writing liner notes for This is Morrissey). So, given she’s accepted the role of a representative, and she’s not doing a good job of it, I think it’s fair to point out the short-comings. And (perhaps more pointedly) through suggestion, wonder what it really is in her repertoire that Morrissey finds so admirable.
Try faxing Moz & see what he has to say, for a definitive answer on it...

Fair point, but she’s been anointed by Morrissey himself (as she was charged with the responsibility of writing liner notes for This is Morrissey). So, given she’s accepted the role of a representative, and she’s not doing a good job of it, I think it’s fair to point out the short-comings. And (perhaps more pointedly) through the suggestion,

wonder what it really is in her repertoire that Morrissey finds so admirable.

that someone bothers to be nice at all, I’d wager

It is Moz news but personally I am getting fed up seeing her "reminders" about great Moz albums. We knew Your Arsenal was great the day we first heard it and don't need reminding or a "reappraisal". Maybe she should look to the future a bit more, or just live in the present. Those Dodwell pieces are only of value to people who barely know Moz's music, so why bother?

Everything is so polarised these days. Love/Hate. I miss the InBetween Days when a piece about Moz could be informative, positive, funny, AND contain the odd barbed comment.

Chill out. Nobody is making you read it.

She writes like she has and knows the history. She hadn’t even heard of it two years ago and she’s now telling everyone why we love it. Next she will be telling us it’s underrated. Oh, hang on. Insufferable woman

Great album and god bless Our Price x

Harsh.

Just for the record, no pun intended, she's not the one posting this article here.
She writes for 'medium.com' or The Riff from what I can ascertain. I assume FWD retrieved it and posted it here as it was considered to be of interest.
Writing “for” medium.com is like writing “for” livejournal.com. It’s a blog site.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom