Post Millennial / Fiona Dodwell: "Morrissey and the misguided outrage of his critics" (August 29, 2021)

mozz-vegas.png

Morrissey and the misguided outrage of his critics

This never-ending quest to undermine one of the most important singer/songwriters of our time tells us much more about the way society is shaping itself into spineless mediocrity.

You know the drill.
Regards,
FWD.

Update - August 30, 2021:
Now a Central post.

Does anyone else think posts/reviews (use the word lightly) really undermine morrissey and his actual talent? There's not one single artist ever that has remained 100% throughout their career and that's ok. The latter years always tend to be worse than the early years but what's wrong with that?

Exactly. I don't think his more divisive views are doing him any favours but no-one sells big units forever. There are much bigger artists, million sellers like the Manic Street Preachers, that barely sell much of anything now.

If you look at her Twitter appearance, where she often seems insecure and looking for affection and appreciation, you really wonder what she is thinking to achieve it through such blog entries. After all, she was not on the guest list for Vegas.
She's a talentless nobody who has managed to ever-so-slightly increase the engagement of her "content" by writing the same article about Morrissey and "cancel culture" over and over again for a handful of other delusional, low-IQ Morrissey sycophants. I'm sure she thinks she's found a winning formula.

She's a talentless nobody who has managed to ever-so-slightly increase the engagement of her "content" by writing the same article about Morrissey and "cancel culture" over and over again for a handful of other delusional, low-IQ Morrissey sycophants. I'm sure she thinks she's found a winning formula.
It's amazing how many remaining fans LIKE or comment on Twitter. It seems to be enough to encourage her to keep repeating "Cancel culture" etc. On a side note, you can guess that the headwinds here in the forum are getting to her but these (we) are all people who have no idea and don't understand Morrissey.

It's amazing how many remaining fans LIKE or comment on Twitter. It seems to be enough to encourage her to keep repeating "Cancel culture" etc. On a side note, you can guess that the headwinds here in the forum are getting to her but these (we) are all people who have no idea and don't understand Morrissey.
From what I've seen, they just seem like sad obsessives who cling to this idea of Morrissey as the perpetual victim. For a while, I didn't even believe that Fiona was a real person. I figured she was another "John Riggers" i.e. Sam or someone similar posing as an objective third party. The alternative actually makes it worse.

:lbf:

I see, Fiona, a respected journalist who contributes to several distinguished blogs is nobody but
velcro and dmitri are some sort of superstars in the field of punk rock but known by nobody

o_O

they should get together with FC and the 2 Igors and make a unknown supergroup
for the pensioner set, maybe call themselves Ye Olde Drama Llamas and set
up on twitter:hammer:

Well I think Fiona would be a good mentor for Rifkies upcoming
Ahem.. book.

From what I've seen, they just seem like sad obsessives who cling to this idea of Morrissey as the perpetual victim. For a while, I didn't even believe that Fiona was a real person. I figured she was another "John Riggers" i.e. Sam or someone similar posing as an objective third party. The alternative actually makes it worse.
It’s usually the new lot who emerged from under the sod in the last 5-10 years.

Exactly. I don't think his more divisive views are doing him any favours but no-one sells big units forever. There are much bigger artists, million sellers like the Manic Street Preachers, that barely sell much of anything now.

Record sales alone are no measure of a career. And advancing years do not inevitability mean that artists lose their attraction. Some stars gain added polish and lustre.

The greatest of greats appropriate unfortunate later happenstance for their own mythology—Elvis for instance. Others, like Neil Diamond, work with the right people and create material that’s appropriate for the winter of their career and so peak again. Some others, like Dolly Parton, anticipate that it’s going to get harder and redouble their effort. Some more, such as Frankie Valli and Bryan Ferry, simply plunder their outstanding back catalogue and invest in top notch stage-support to create the most electric nights imaginable. Others, still, reform their old bands and come back sharper than ever (The Stone Roses).

Morrissey’s best years could easily be ahead of him. The only barrier is Morrissey. Much hinges on Bonfire, Dog was a great omen. It’s his to f*** up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk about lazy and sloppy. She gets a basic fact wrong in the 2nd sentence! "as part of a replacement for Slipknot, who has canceled their appearance". It is clearly and correctly stated in the article that she is responding to that it was Nine Inch Nails who canceled. Morrissey and Slipknot were the replacements. FFS!

Record sales alone are no measure of a career. And advancing years do not inevitability mean that artists lose their attraction. Some stars gain added polish and lustre.

The greatest of greats appropriate unfortunate later happenstance for their own mythology—Elvis for instance. Others, like Neil Diamond, work with the right people and create material that’s appropriate for the winter of their career and so peak again. Some others, like Dolly Parton, anticipate that it’s going to get harder and redouble their effort. Some more, such as Frankie Valli and Bryan Ferry, simply plunder their outstanding back catalogue and invest in top notch stage-support to create the most electric nights imaginable. Others, still, reform their old bands and come back sharper than ever (The Stone Roses).

Morrissey’s best years could easily be ahead of him. The only barrier is Morrissey. Much hinges on Bonfire, Dog was a great omen. It’s his to f*** up.
Bob Dylan scored his first #1 Billboard single at the age of 79 with a 17-minute song about JFK's assassination. He still baffles and delights with a perpetually shifting style of performance, even as he's slowed down and shifted gears into a more static setlist than years passed. If the willpower is there, then nothing is out of the question. Morrissey is a spring chicken in comparison, but seems too consumed with self-pity to just move on and do anything interesting.

A much better song by a 79 year old is this one, by Petula Clark:

If Morrissey (a) lives that long and (b) is putting out music that good in his late 70s, I'll be very happy.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom