A Taste Of Honey

Jukebox Jury

Retired
The above play is on now at Manchester's Royal Exchange Theatre, using the picture below as its advert.
The preview says that the play will be using Manchester music as a soundtrack from Northern Soul to Morrissey!
http://www.citylife.co.uk/theatre_dance/news/11535_ex_corrie_sally_in_a_taste_of_honey

Jukebox Jury
23t11g7.jpg

I'm afraid modernisation approach is rather put me off to see the play.

When the play was written Buzzcocks, Joy Division, The Smiths etc didn't exist.

I'd rather watch excellent Tony Richardson's film again.

The typography and the poster itself are beautiful.

Bees make honey.

May this day forever be known as 'A Taste of Honey Day'. :eek:

I went to Oxfam because my sister locked me out the house, and there amongst the Irish Folk Music CDs and the man who smelt of poo there was a paperback copy of A Taste of Honey. It is now sitting upon my desk. :)

I went down to the Royal Exchange today - those posters are all over the place :)

They are selling small versions of the poter (About A3 sized, I think) for £3 - very good quality print with an interesting image on the back - looks like old fashioned wall paper.

Not sure if they are available mailorder - but if any non Manchester fan were interested I might consider buying a batch and selling them on at cost (+P&P).

Let me know.

Dave

saw taste of honey at royal exchange saturday
indeed fab posters using salford lads club AND 4 smiths songs used!!
will not spoil it for you
& other manchester/salford-ish music & dancing!
a fantastic production with excellent cast
if you turn up on the day of the performance for a cheap banquette seat
you get to sit on a 'brick wall' or 'battered sofa' almost part of the set
also programme has interesting morrissey section too

saw taste of honey at royal exchange saturday
indeed fab posters using salford lads club AND 4 smiths songs used!!
will not spoil it for you
& other manchester/salford-ish music & dancing!
a fantastic production with excellent cast
if you turn up on the day of the performance for a cheap banquette seat
you get to sit on a 'brick wall' or 'battered sofa' almost part of the set
also programme has interesting morrissey section too

The Royal Exchange banquette seats can be an absolute bargain, or a cringeworthy nightmare. When I was younger, I used to take full advantage of them. As you say, you are basically part of the set. If it's a good production, this can be great. When it's bad, it's awful. The cast can see the whites of your eyes, so there is no hiding how you feel. After the interval they are often empty. I once had an actor roll her eyes at me, right after she had just belted out a "showstopper" song that died on it's arse. As I relocated to a nearby pub instead of returning for the second part, I couldn't get that look out of my head. My Catholic guilt panged me all night. 16 years later, I'm still recalling it!

I've organised a trip to see this production, on Thursday night. I'm not actually going myself, as I will be "on call". So far I have heard some very mixed reviews, so I am waiting to see what a trusted few of them say on Friday, before I make a decision.

The concept sounds quite interesting; obviously many of the iconic Manchester bands were not around at the same buit still it may be good to see with this new music put into the play; it would be combining two clasic pieces of art which may well work out very well...or it could be a total f***ing disaster!

Love PTxx.

The above play is on now at Manchester's Royal Exchange Theatre, using the picture below as its advert.
The preview says that the play will be using Manchester music as a soundtrack from Northern Soul to Morrissey!
http://www.citylife.co.uk/theatre_dance/news/11535_ex_corrie_sally_in_a_taste_of_honey

Jukebox Jury
23t11g7.jpg

Oh no, it's got Sally Lindsey in it!! She's awful. The production team have obviously gone for a Smiths-related approach to cash-in which is unfortunate and unecessary as the play is fantastic and well-known enough in its own right to get bums on seats anyway.

Don't understand the inclusion of Buzzcocks etc. Again, cashing in. The 1961 film would put it to shame, methinks.

Don't understand the inclusion of Buzzcocks etc. Again, cashing in. The 1961 film would put it to shame, methinks.

Buzzcocks wouldn't be so bad as they're brilliant, sentimental songs but last Saturday anyway, they used The Ting Tings :o.

Also, anybody who's seen it ... do you know the name of Smokey Robinson (?) song that Jimmy sang the start of? :confused:

Oh no, it's got Sally Lindsey in it!! She's awful. The production team have obviously gone for a Smiths-related approach to cash-in which is unfortunate and unecessary as the play is fantastic and well-known enough in its own right to get bums on seats anyway.

well it's worked as it is now completely sold out
returns only
no banquettes either

well it's worked as it is now completely sold out
returns only
no banquettes either

I'm slightly miffed as I have bought tickets for Wednesday 3rd December..... on the basis that City are playing Paris St Germain the following day..... only the game is on the Wednesday now:tears:
Looks like I shall have Grim sending me text messages throughout the show:(

Jukebox Jury

I'm slightly miffed as I have bought tickets for Wednesday 3rd December..... on the basis that City are playing Paris St Germain the following day..... only the game is on the Wednesday now:tears:

Jukebox Jury

If you'd rather go to the match, I'll take your tickets off your hands!

Seriously...when I tried getting tickets there were only singles left...not much fun if you want to go with your significant other :(

Oh, arse.

uhhhh

Jukebox Jury

I hate people using mobile phone during the film / play is on!

If you're going to see the play, switch off your mobile and show some respect to your fellow audience!!!

Back
Top Bottom