Who is Carol...any ideas?

orson made an interesting clue
he guess its about kirsty mac coll..mccrisckson did go following that further in that thread
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=94826&highlight=carol

i have also read clues it could be about a fan wanting
to take suicide:"black earth upon her casket fell"

orson welles:
Kirsty MacColl? Obviously there is the musical style which is heavily reminiscent of her last album, Tropical Brainstorm. Then the light lyrical style itself with phrases like "pasty face of mine" reminds me of her own songwriting. Then there are the strange bird-like effects which echo the musical break in Ask, which she sang backing vocals on, of course. Clearly the song is about seeing someone for the last time before they die ("black earth upon the casket fell...") and the synthetic sea sounds at the end could be taken as a reference to the way Kirsty died - when nobody came "to the rescue". I know she wasn't born in 1975, but that doesn't have to be taken literally as birth - it could mean she was musically born, or such like. Even the name Carol is not a million miles away from Kirsty and has connotations of songs and carol, er, singers. Anyway, I could be wrong - it's just a thought that occurred to me!
mc rickson:
So.
Clearly, the name "Carol" can be taken out of her full name, Kirsty Anna Maccoll

Quote:
Kirsty Anna MacColl
Carol
Taking these letters out leaves

Quote:
Kisty Anna Mcl
with which, after tireless work, I worked out into the proverbial:

Quote:
KAM is any ltnc
which translates into:

"Kirsty Anna MacColl is any light that never ceases."

So, as you can see, WLISTC is, indeed, about Kirsty MacColl. It's a touching tribute by our loving Moz to, as I'm sure many of us will agree, a light that never ceases.

jesuisbryony-
Then the light lyrical style itself with phrases like "pasty face of mine" reminds me of her own songwriting.
"Hammered a smile..." could have easily fitted in Fifteen Minutes.
Quote:
I know she wasn't born in 1975, but that doesn't have to be taken literally as birth - it could mean she was musically born, or such like.
I think she was in her original band as Mandy Doubt in about 1977 so, that's a bit off too.

Last edited:
Kristeen Young. At least, I hope so. She was born in 1975, she has a pasty face, and I'm sure she's as good as dead to Morrissey.

Kristeen Young. At least, I hope so. She was born in 1975, she has a pasty face, and I'm sure she's as good as dead to Morrissey.

:lbf: Nice one.

:lbf: And also :bow:

It wouldn't be the first time that Morrissey wishes death upon somebody. Ow.

My former therapist, named Carol, has her office located on Carroll street. :) Now I'm going to some lady named Mary Ann also on Carroll street, but I always get a Spanish riff in my head when I leave the appointments after looking at the street sign. I like mc rickson's theory. I bet he has a good band.

OMG, now that I think of it, Carol was born in 1975 too. I remember asking her and being sad that my therapist was younger than me who I was pouring out all these delusions too. But she didn't have a pasty face, she wore tons of make-up so there's really no connection...unless she wore pasties on her nipples underneath her blouse. Hmmmmmmm.

Last edited:
Maybe it's Julia. Don't know that her face is particularly pasty, though.

:lbf: And also :bow:

It wouldn't be the first time that Morrissey wishes death upon somebody. Ow.

Oh come off it! What a horrible thing to say. How do you guys keep up hatred for someone for so long? It's beyond me. Even joking about Moz wishing Kristen was dead is bad taste.

After thinking about it and listening again (and again) I have to go with the Kristeen theory. I definitely don't think he wishes her any harm -- it's more like she self-sabotaged/buried herself with her ways.

Assuming it is about Kristeen, perhaps the hollering/howling during the spaghetti western bridge in the song is the sound of a native Indian's war cry. Kristeen descends from the Apache tribe, apparently.

Her human theremin vocals then follow in the very next track.

Have I gone too far?

I like to think it's THIS Carol:

And wasn't he into Cathy Comes Home and Poor Cow ?

This pic would have made a great Smiths cover too .

Sadly,she died at the age of 50. :(

Back
Top Bottom