My encounter with Morrissey

A great story indeed! Thanks for sharing. It was nice to meet you yesterday, however briefly. Couldn't have happened to a more nicer person. :)

A great story indeed! Thanks for sharing. It was nice to meet you yesterday, however briefly. Couldn't have happened to a more nicer person. :)

Thanks. Don't know about the nice person -part tough, but sometimes life delivers just what you ask for. Not often but sometimes.

Never mind, I still managed to get the right book out of the library. :p

Interesting that you say this, because I remember that at the Hyde Park concert last year I envisioned meeting Morrissey at a stage door somewhere. Without me waiting there though, which is something I cannot bring myself to do. No idea how that was supposed to come about then. But in Rotterdam I just walked past the stage door on the way back to the hotel after the aftershow party when Arturo was giving directions up the stairs to somebody invisible. The moment he saw me and took his walki talki and I couldn't hear anymore what he was saying, something inside of me told me within a split second that it was all going to go terribly wrong if I stayed on and waited so I just walked on and Morrissey came out of the door a moment later when I had just reached the other side of the street. I have since renewed my wish to meeting Morrissey somewhere without Arturo or his PA within a radius of one mile. :D At least I have spoken to him in Oslo in the meantime. :p

That is peculiar. But so is life. What did you speak with him in Oslo if you don't mind me asking?

Edit. And of course the novel is titled THE BELL JAR and not THE JARR BELL. Oh, how sloppy of me.

THE BAR is JELLous you got to meet him on a boat in the sunshine when I'm stuck here overseeing all these houses. :p:rolleyes:

Actually your story is nice, refreshing to read.

Great story Wozzer, it must have been so exciting for you! Can you remember yet whether Moz was wearing shorts and sneakers like Boz?
It sounds like Mozzer's female companion is a bit of a dragon, being sarcastic and trying to keep you away from him...I'm glad you persevered and managed to get your autograph.

To be fair Morrissey's staff must have to put up with people bothering him all the time and I expect a lot of them aren't as respectful or sensitive. It's understandable that they might get protective sometimes. In fact, it's probably part of their job to be the ones who deflect fans, because Morrissey can't do it without pissing people off.

To be fair Morrissey's staff must have to put up with people bothering him all the time and I expect a lot of them aren't as respectful or sensitive. It's understandable that they might get protective sometimes. In fact, it's probably part of their job to be the ones who deflect fans, because Morrissey can't do it without pissing people off.
Yes. I'll bet he has it all worked out with her. She has to say something unpleasant so that he can either agree or say no no, it's fine this time.

I don't know if it's true, but I have been told more than once that he enjoys meeting one to three of us at a time, but crowds of us make him really nervous. Perhaps the trick is to get him alone -- Don't bring friends along.

*shrug*

Yes. I'll bet he has it all worked out with her. She has to say something unpleasant so that he can either agree or say no no, it's fine this time.

I don't know if it's true, but I have been told more than once that he enjoys meeting one to three of us at a time, but crowds of us make him really nervous. Perhaps the trick is to get him alone -- Don't bring friends along.

*shrug*

I think that's probably true. This makes me think of that post in the frink thread a while ago;

I met Morrissey "the day after" he cancelled his show in Pittsburgh in '91. We waited all night outside his hotel. Finally in the late morning, his security guy told us that Morrissey would sign for us but please don't run at him or make him nervous. This is the only decent pic I managed to take-- my hands were shaking and I was trying to get close to him. Great memory!

If I'm not terribly mistaken he wore the same clothes at the Tampere-gig next day. He was wearing sunglasses, that's at least one certain thing I can say abut his appearance. :lbf:/QUOTE]

ahh i dont recall seeing pics of tampere..so..a dark shirt ..or?.so he did wear the same clothes as on stage?
...did he have an jacket on?or was it THAT hot on that day up up north?:p
its sounds like the meeting went totally calm and be over very quick...
nice one...
i wonder how the job interview for morrissey will take place as manager etc..maybe they do practical tests like dealing with a bunch of quiffed fans who are in RL hired actors/tresses to play this part for that test for the job :lbf:
azt least they do have to have good music taste and no elton john record as this roadie guy<
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article3245740.ece
well who knows if soem parts of the story arent fictional i recall a post about the guy here that he wasnt really loyal to a certain other artist he was w working with

Last edited:
Great story, really. Am I reading it wrong (it's late here) or were you in fact on a boat for hours on end with Morrissey on some nearby deck? How far into the journey did you meet him, and after you met him did you go to the opposite corner of the vessel? See him when he got off (the boat)?

Great story, really. Am I reading it wrong (it's late here) or were you in fact on a boat for hours on end with Morrissey on some nearby deck? How far into the journey did you meet him, and after you met him did you go to the opposite corner of the vessel? See him when he got off (the boat)?

The boat left about seven am and arrived to Turku eight pm so I spent the whole day on the boat with Morrissey altough I only realised this around four o'clock when I saw Arturro. Then, like I described, I let him lead me to Morrissey on the outerdeck. After I got the autograph to my book I just hanged around the boat waiting it to get to the harbour. I didn't go to the outerdeck where Morrissey had been again in case he still was there and that, I believe, would have been awkward for us both. No sign of Morrissey when leaving the boat, he propably came off after most of the passengers had left the ship.

Wozzer and I were on our own.

Wozzer's encounter really makes me wonder if there really was no space for a bit more conversation, because this was a boat after all, not a plane. Or am I the only person who can relax and talk to people at the same time?

Well, being a rather shy person at certain situations the whole confrontation with Morrissey was anything but "relaxed" from my behalf. When he handed me the book back I honestly didn't no how to continue so I mentioned Tampere, thanked him and backed off. I was highly nervous. It's not exactly the same thing as talking to the cashier of your local drugstore, you know?

Oh, now you have replied to my post with the two "really"s. :o

Unless you meet the cashier on a boat while sunbathing and not in the local drugstore and the person next to cashier tells you that they actually just wanted to have their afternoon nap. ;)

I see your point, but the possibility was there that Morrissey could have had a very calming effect on you the moment you realized that he wouldn't bite you, unfortunately the PA tried to do instead, so that she ruined the calming effect.

Never mind the situation, Morrissey and the cashier are not equivalent.

But yes, maybe the whole thing would have gone down differently if there wouldn't been a table full of people sitting with him. Meet him alone in some desolate corridor on the vessel and who knows what would happen??

Last edited:
An encounter between a popstar and a fan can't really be relaxing by definition. It's an artificial and fraught situation probably for both parties.

An encounter between a popstar and a fan can't really be relaxing by definition. It's an artificial and fraught situation probably for both parties.

True. As much I would liked to address Morrissey-the-human-being the concept of Morrissey-the-pop-singer came in the way.

Do you remember the moment when the concept of Morrissey-the-pop-singer pushed the Morrissey-the-human-being concept away?

This happened right about as soon as I saw him.

As I just saw pictures of Morrissey in a cardigan I remembered that I had just put on my cardigan as I left the venue and this was part of the reason why I panicked inside. I have always worn them and don't do so because he does, like some people seem to just have discovered nail polish or patterned shirts for themselves because of him. And they are very handy if you go to a concert, because you can so easily knod them around the hip. This was true Silke as I was standing there, totally practical. And this "Oh my god, oh my god, this is going to look so ridiculous" ran though my mind. Idiot, I should have just quickly taken the cardigan off. :crazy: :laughing:

I'm just glad I didn't wear my Morrissey t-shirt when I ran in to him. That would have been quite awkward.

Back
Top Bottom