My Meeting with Morrissey

Cowshed

Underclass
Under pressure from Virgil Tracey, I have to write a report of last night…

Yesterday afternoon I headed down to the free gig at Proud in Camden. There were 5 or 6 bands on the bill, including Doll and the Kicks, who I had heard on the Janice Long/Morrissey interview show. I quite liked the song, so thought I’d check them out.
One of the first bands on said “we’ve heard Morrissey is due down later”, to which I just dismissed. I figured they had heard that Morrissey likes Doll and the Kicks and jumped to that conclusion. Once that band finished, the stage manager said that Morrissey WAS due to come down. The nervous energy from hearing that made me jump up and out of my chair and wander around the place in excitement. Then I noticed one of the booths had been cordoned off with a “Reserved” message on it. It was true!
The trouble was, this was 4.30pm, and he wasn’t expected until 9pm. That was a long time to kill, not to mention the poor bands I had to sit through. And plenty of time to stew over what I’d do!
So to zoom forward a few hours…
At almost 9pm on the dot I saw a small congregation at the door. I spotted Boz and his wife instantly, then Janice Long, before I caught sight of Morrissey. He was flanked at the back by two other people (Jennifer and errr….Jake). They went through to their booth and a girl brought some drinks in for them. They couldn’t have been in there for more than 5 minutes before Doll and the Kicks started. Morrissey stood to the left of the stage and was probably more into Doll than anyone else there.
Once Doll finished, Morrissey et al went straight to their closed off and curtained off booth. I saw a couple songs of the next band, but my mind was elsewhere, so I got a drink and lingered within a clear view of the booth. Lots of Grey Goose vodka was being brought in so I knew he was still in there.
At around 11 Morrissey emerged, with Janice, Jennifer and Jake. He walked through the main room and there was a great moment where someone sat down recognised him and Morrissey simply put his hand on the guys shoulder. Not a word between them was uttered, but there didn’t need to be.
I followed them through the door and I started a conversation with Janice because I was too nervous to speak to Morrissey himself. It was clear that while she considers Morrissey as a friend, she is also very wary about being around him and saying certain things to him. But a really nice lady nevertheless.
When they reached the road Morrissey had stopped talking, so I felt this was my chance to jump in without seeming too rude. I don’t recall too clearly how I attempted to open the communication but Jennifer said “no photographs”, in which Morrissey turned to me and said “I don’t want to appear in the Jewish or the Buddhist Gazette”. I shook his hand and told him how much meeting to him means to me. I imagine he hears that quite a bit, but he wasn’t blasé or dismissed it. It seemed that he was pleased that someone would say it to him. I then mentioned how much I was looking forward to February and he had a rather blank expression on his face, so I had to quickly say for Years of Refusal. A broad smile crossed his face and said “thank you”. I shook his hand once again and departed while Janice and Morrissey said their goodbyes.
I’m still on cloud nine, and telling the people I work with. They just don’t get it.

:):D:):D

Me too. :o Thanks for sharing it, it's a lovely story. I especially like the "blank expression on his face" when you mentioned February. :p

Lucky you! ;)

Yesterday afternoon I headed down to the free gig at Proud in Camden. There were 5 or 6 bands on the bill, including Doll and the Kicks, who I had heard on the Janice Long/Morrissey interview show. I quite liked the song, so thought I’d check them out.
One of the first bands on said “we’ve heard Morrissey is due down later”, to which I just dismissed. I figured they had heard that Morrissey likes Doll and the Kicks and jumped to that conclusion. Once that band finished, the stage manager said that Morrissey WAS due to come down. The nervous energy from hearing that made me jump up and out of my chair and wander around the place in excitement. Then I noticed one of the booths had been cordoned off with a “Reserved” message on it. It was true!
The trouble was, this was 4.30pm, and he wasn’t expected until 9pm. That was a long time to kill, not to mention the poor bands I had to sit through. And plenty of time to stew over what I’d do!
At almost 9pm on the dot I saw a small congregation at the door. I spotted Boz and his wife instantly, then Janice Long, before I caught sight of Morrissey. He was flanked at the back by two other people (Jennifer and errr….Jake). They went through to their booth and a girl brought some drinks in for them. They couldn’t have been in there for more than 5 minutes before Doll and the Kicks started. Morrissey stood to the left of the stage and was probably more into Doll than anyone else there.
Once Doll finished, Morrissey et al went straight to their closed off and curtained off booth. I saw a couple songs of the next band, but my mind was elsewhere, so I got a drink and lingered within a clear view of the booth. Lots of Grey Goose vodka was being brought in so I knew he was still in there.
At around 11 Morrissey emerged, with Janice, Jennifer and Jake. He walked through the main room and there was a great moment where someone sat down recognised him and Morrissey simply put his hand on the guys shoulder. Not a word between them was uttered, but there didn’t need to be.
I followed them through the door and I started a conversation with Janice because I was too nervous to speak to Morrissey himself. It was clear that while she considers Morrissey as a friend, she is also very wary about being around him and saying certain things to him. But a really nice lady nevertheless.
When they reached the road Morrissey had stopped talking, so I felt this was my chance to jump in without seeming too rude. I don’t recall too clearly how I attempted to open the communication but Jennifer said “no photographs”, in which Morrissey turned to me and said “I don’t want to appear in the Jewish or the Buddhist Gazette”. I shook his hand and told him how much meeting to him means to me. I imagine he hears that quite a bit, but he wasn’t blasé or dismissed it. It seemed that he was pleased that someone would say it to him. I then mentioned how much I was looking forward to February and he had a rather blank expression on his face, so I had to quickly say for Years of Refusal. A broad smile crossed his face and said “thank you”. I shook his hand once again and departed while Janice and Morrissey said their goodbyes.
I’m still on cloud nine, and telling the people I work with. They just don’t get it.

Wow, thanks for telling us your lovely story. :)

CONGRATS!! Right place at the right time. :) It seems like he (almost) went unnoticed (i.e. people gave him privacy/respect) which is very nice.

Great story, Cowshed. Have you been able to sleep? ;)

I then mentioned how much I was looking forward to February and he had a rather blank expression on his face, so I had to quickly say for Years of Refusal.
Hahaha he's goin' senile already! :D:p
Senility aside, grats! Musta really been a trip!

*swoon*

Hey, he had his "J" crew with him! Janice, Jennifer and Jake.

That's great:)

Pleased you had a good time, Cowshed! Thanks for sharing.:)

I was going to go, but I had a meeting in the evening. :(

So, how was the music?
And will they get a "support" slot? :cool:

Thanks for sharing that, Cowshed. Would love to see Doll as the support on the next tour. I think that KY's welcome is tired and worn out.

Congrats!!! :D

Thanks for telling your story in such detail. I love that Moz acknowledged the other person with a hand on his shoulder. Very sweet. :o

Last edited:
Thanks Cowshed - it's always a thrill to read these things.

I'm just wondering, how did Mozza look? How was he dressed? Was he wearing a sharp suit?

Would love to see Doll as the support on the next tour. I think that KY's welcome is tired and worn out.

My husband is MAD for Doll - he keeps hoping that they will be the support band, in which case we would probably include an extra show or two to our plans, should it be feasible.

Can't belive I missed all this for a f****** Labour Party meeting :mad: bo**ocks!

Well done again Mark, thanks for the texts as well, I loved it!!

OMG you lucky lucky thing you...

so sweet with the hand on the shoulder thing.. :)

but one thing nagging at me, J-A-K-E???
are you sure? and wtf?
*frets*

Yeah!!!! That is awesome!!! What a wonderful story!! Are you being serious when you say *Jake* was there???

I nearly didn't write Jake as I hoped people wouldn't dwell on it! I'm about 95% sure it was Jake. I've looked at the old threads on here and I think it was. I certainly thought it was at the time. When I get home I'll have a look at that small pic of Jake in Hot Press.

Wow! That is pretty big if it was him!

Lots of Grey Goose vodka was being brought in so I knew he was still in there.

This made me laugh, thanks. Good story.

When you say Moz was "into" Doll more than anyone else, can you describe his reaction or expression while watching them? He really still is that 12-year-old who went to see Bowie and T-Rex.

Tags
jake meet moz
Back
Top Bottom