'My Dearest Love' Discussion...

Christ, that is one FULL ON Morrissey song, in all respects. It's as if it was bottled at the end of the 80s and left to age into a fine vintage. A fantastic Morrissey/Whyte b-side.

And no complaints about Jerry Finn's production in this case, I take it??

Well stated. I have the very highest of hopes for the new album. Not that I didn't before. But now I'm even more excited.

Christ, that is one FULL ON Morrissey song, in all respects. It's as if it was bottled at the end of the 80s and left to age into a fine vintage. A fantastic Morrissey/Whyte b-side.

I have the very highest of hopes for the new album. Not that I didn't before. But now I'm even more excited.

Exactly how I feel. And yes what Comtesse, said a REAL Morrissey song. I died and went to heaven upon hearing it.

Last edited:
Let me just make sure I have this right, because it seems so ludicrous I must have got it wrong...

2000 years of civilisation and the only way to get the full release and ALL the B-sides is to steal them or buy a wax cylinder machine, and iTunes have only put up a studio and live version of AYNIM? Is that really where we are?

Don't let me ever hear the record company moaning about sales, please, or I may just blow a gasket. When exactly did the once simple task of "buying a record" become a treasure hunt devised by coked up marketing pseudo professionals? Idiotic beyond words. Scum of the earth. Filth. Excrement. Die. Die. DIE!

I thangyew.

OK, All nicked or appropriated illegally now. No money required. Was that the idea marketing morons?

Here's a thought... have a line, sit back and listen... I want you to open your tiny minds real wide now...

Two CD singles with all the tracks across both.

A ten inch vinyl picture sleeve with exclusive cover, perhaps coloured vinyl, - maybe two coloured vinyls even - but a strictly limited edition, again with all tracks.

And finally (here's the big one) MAKE SURE iTUNES HAVE ALL THE TRACKS AVAILABLE ON DOWNLOAD!

I love vinyl. It's beautiful. I love reel to reel and eight track too, but it's the 21st Century and many of us have moved on. As this is the "digital" age, why not get your damn fingers out?

Just heard 'My Dearest Love' in YouTube.
I adore it. It's beyond words.

Let me just make sure I have this right, because it seems so ludicrous I must have got it wrong...

2000 years of civilisation and the only way to get the full release and ALL the B-sides is to steal them or buy a wax cylinder machine, and iTunes have only put up a studio and live version of AYNIM? Is that really where we are?

Don't let me ever hear the record company moaning about sales, please, or I may just blow a gasket. When exactly did the once simple task of "buying a record" become a treasure hunt devised by coked up marketing pseudo professionals? Idiotic beyond words. Scum of the earth. Filth. Excrement. Die. Die. DIE!

I thangyew.

I gotta agree with you. This whole AYNIM exercise has been hopelessly ridiculous.

No worries though. After "Years of Refusal," I guarantee we will be treated to a compilation album so consumers can purchase the AYNIM and ROTT b-sides on one disc.:angry:

I think I'm really missing something with Morrissey of late. I don't really like "Children in Pieces" OR "My Dearest Love".

I'm glad you mentioned that Amy because... I kind of agree with you. I think "My Dearest Love" is excellent, by the way, but for me some of the sheen has rubbed off the Great Man recently. It's in no small part due to some of the tales I've heard here and elsewhere of the difficult nature he seems to revel in, combined with the lacklustre aspect to some of his recent releases. The Greatest Hits was just awful, felt every inch the corporate knock off it was, and was the sort of thing he once loathed with a passion I still possess. Contractual obligation or not he should have had more input, and if he did he should be ashamed of himself.

It's probably an unfair comparison in some ways but Morrissey and Nick Cave have sort of competed punch for punch for most of my record buying life and recently, perhaps through my own taste, and perhaps something else Cave is producing work that has a vibrancy Morrissey once possessed and now only occasionally revisits.

I'm never likely to find out the how difficult it is to get up and write a lyric knowing you have several million pounds in the bank but I wonder if the writing process for Morrissey is a chore or still the thrill it once was. You can't fault him out on the road but what about when he's on his own writing the lyrics and forging his ideas? Does he have that same hunger anymore? How could he have?

Yet I see the work Nick Cave still brings out and to me it has more bite, more... grrrrr... about it than Morrissey's recent offerings. His rock tracks are vicious, and his ballads are achingly beautiful, and, more to the point, consistently so. While Quarry was outstanding Ringleader was really quite poor imo. In that time Cave released "Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus", "Grinderman", and "Dig Lazarus Dig!!!"

Nick Cave has produced his solo magnum opus in "The Boatman's Call" and although Morrissey has come very close post Smiths the ONE album you can point to and say "that's the one" has, to my mind, yet to appear.

I'm very aware of his past brilliance and how that, of course, unfairly colours our view of his later works. Suedehead was magnificent but it wasn't This Charming Man, and All You Need Is Me is certainly no Suedehead, as we all know deep down inside.

In Morrissey case his familiarity hasn't yet bred my contempt but it means I expect standards of him I don't of others and when he fails to meet them the disappointment is magnified and poncing around someone's back garden with a selection of lithe young things (and Boz Boorer) isn't going to change that anytime soon, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
The current marketing plan prohibits a decent version, I'm afraid. Maybe next year.

The first two US singles of both Quarry and Ringleader had all the Bs combined, which was great. I think the reason it didn't happen in this case is because the singles were selling a Greatest Hits album, not an original. That's the only reason I can think of.

Definitely should've been a CD1/CD2 option and obviously downloads.

Bought the CD single, but had to d/l My Dearest for free. Sorry, Mozzer!

I thangyew.

The first two US singles of both Quarry and Ringleader had all the Bs combined, which was great. I think the reason it didn't happen in this case is because the singles were selling a Greatest Hits album, not an original. That's the only reason I can think of.

Definitely should've been a CD1/CD2 option and obviously downloads.

Bought the CD single, but had to d/l My Dearest for free. Sorry, Mozzer!

The sole purpose of a record company marketing department is to sell product. They have contrived, at some cost, and on high salaries, to make it as difficult as possible to buy the very thing they are selling. They think they are clever and have proved themselves to be the very opposite. They have cost their bosses, and the artist a considerable sum of money. If all these tracks were on download yesterday I and many other would have bought them.

The record company realise Morrissey fans are loyal like no other and decided to take advantage of it. They are a disgrace and no doubt get together with their friends from other marketing departments in other record companies and bemoan the state of the business oblivious to the fact it is they in no small part who cause the problem in the first place.

this song is giving me goosebumps!

Shame about the new "Children in pieces" though. I had high hopes for that song. Oh well I can still listen to the instrumental and sing the vocals myself :)

I must confess that I haven't liked "That's How People Grow Up", "Children in Pieces" or "Something is Squeezing My Skull" but I do adore "My Dearest Love".

It seems to be Morrissey's ultimate pastiche to the pop songs of the 1960s.

Lyrically it echoes something, that one could imagine, Samantha Jones, Cilla Black or Twinkle crooning.

I must confess that I haven't liked "That's How People Grow Up", "Children in Pieces" or "Something is Squeezing My Skull" but I do adore "My Dearest Love".

It seems to be Morrissey's ultimate pastiche to the pop songs of the 1960s.

Lyrically it echoes something, that one could imagine, Samantha Jones, Cilla Black or Twinkle crooning.

Would you add to that list, Samantha Fox?

Ditto your sentiments and high praise of nick Cave ! Now he IS a genius ! If anyone reading this does not know his music then I implore you to do so ! "boatmans call" was my first introduction other than the kylie duet and red right hand , and though it is not my favourite album it has real beauty.. and anyone who can get the line "This useless old f***er and his twinkling c***" into a song deserves applause. I think he has that similar misconception to Moz of being miserable , but some of his lyrics are hilarious ("babe i'm on fire") . The new album I think is the best thing he has released - I have not stopped playing it since release - its sexy , moody , threatening , lascivious and every other adjective I don't know . Plus .. plus.. and this is the main reason he should be worshipped .. is that he wears a mean moustache ! Oh and wrote the script for the australian outback western "the proposition" , and wrote it in about 3 weeks .. and its f***in brilliant ! I still like you Moz though .. just in case your upset .. The two irish dates will be my 22nd and 23rd time .. have only seen nick cave once .

Back
Top Bottom