James Maker & The Smiths

mozzette

This is the only photo I have seen of him on stage with them. Any more out there?
earliest.jpg

According to http://passionsjustlikemine.com James Maker was on stage with The Smiths only twice (4th Oct 1982 and 25th Jan 1983).
There aren't many photos of them I suppose.

this is the only one i have seen , i saw it a few years back - no conformation james was wearing white stilletos as the rummor went

He appeared three times on stage with the band, the first two gigs and then at St Austell, Cornwall (17/10/86) for a couple of songs.

The picture could not be at The Ritz where it was claimed he wore the stilletoes as Andy Rourke is in the picture and he wasn't in the band at the time of the Ritz gig. Looking at Andy's hair, I'd guess it was the St Austell gig this was taken at. Is that Craig Gannon's arm on the right hand side?

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
I know nowt about Maker, but from the pictures I've seen he was definitely an influence on Moz' fashion/hair. The diaphanous shirt predates Morrissey's "blouses" during the the Kill Uncle/Arsenal era, and I think Morrissey borrowed Maker's lumberjack-patterned shirt for Last of the Famous on TOTP

I personally don't find plaid shirts and stilettos an odd combination, becouse many lumber-jacks are known transvestites.

Of the two Morrissey has definitely aged better.

Back
Top Bottom