James Maker Interview In Morrissey Book

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I mean the clip with the James Maker interview.
Should have made that clearer :)

I recall reading this as well. He loved the movie "The Last Pictue Show" so, it make sense. James Dean also filmed "Giant" in Dallas, so this may have been of interest to him.

My theory that these visits to the US in the 70s may have had something to do with research with these books he was writing. As to how he got the money, he may have raised some of it from temp jobs but, I've read that he does have relatives in the US so, that may have paid his way. Not sure what part of the country they may have resided.

I suspected New Jersey, but that's northeast. :p

I thought I read somewhere that the photo of 17-year old Morrissey sunbathing was taken while visiting family in the states. (Can anyone confirm?) He did quite a bit of traveling in 1981, if this excerpt from another of the penpal letters is to be believed:

March 10 1981

Dear Robert (very strange)

Ah well, home is where the art is. I flew in from Philadelphia yesterday (but of course, dear!). Your glorious majestic letter arrived minutes before I left the unglorious unmajestic mid-west for fab "Philly" (as we young moderns call it). I'm going to New Jersey for the summer, but until, I'm nesting here in mah old little house living on fresh air and grass. Why don't you come and visit me?

the many faces of james maker..the very left is from 1976 ....havent seent it before this is around the time when james met morrissey

Nice photo of young James! Reminds me of those boys wearing high heels in the Interesting Drug video. :D

Last year on these forums someone had a letter allegedly written by Morrissey whilst visiting Texas.

See attached letter from 1981 that mentions Texas.

Tags
james maker pat reid
Back
Top Bottom