tell us about the last Film you saw

I think you get a glimpse of young Vicky's breasts and Alby's buttocks.
(but that could just be my memory playing tricks with me)
I liked it anyway.

It was lovely. I think the scene where they go to Ye Olde Piercing Shoppe to get his peen adorned fell on the cutting room floor though. :D Just kidding, I loved it. I must be PMSing because not only did all the cuddling scenes make me go :tears: but so did the preview for a movie about a dog that waits at a train station everyday for his dead master. I was a contained wreck before the movie even started.

but so did the preview for a movie about a dog that waits at a train station everyday for his dead master. I was a contained wreck before the movie even started.

ooh,that sounds right up my street.
Sounds like a rip off of Greyfriar's Bobby :tears:

ooh,that sounds right up my street.
Sounds like a rip off of Greyfriar's Bobby :tears:

hachiko_a_dogs_story_ver4.jpg

It may be, I don't know that title. I certainly was PMSing though, sorry TMI. :p

Yesterday I accidentally watched 'Breaking the Waves' again.
And once again I realised that I extremely dislike Mr. von Trier and his 'creative' work.

This is a movie I first saw over a year ago but I LOVE it so I'm gonna write about here. I LOVE Lars von Trier (really, really love him). He, along with Thomas Vinterberg, wrote the Dogme95 manifest which is genious. His latest film is called Antichrist and it's wonderful. It won one award (maybe more but I'm not sure) and was nominated for the Palme d'Or at Cannes film festival 2009 and it was one of the most controversial films ever at the festival, looking at the press conference from Cannes is really comical. One of the things von Trier was accused of after making Antichrist was being a antifeminist.

The plot is complicated to explain, one has really got to see it, but shortly it's about a couple whose very young son dies under tragical curcumstances which gets the mother into a mental institution and the father who is a therapist after a while wants to treat her with his own therapy. He comes to the conclusion that the only way for her to recover is for her to face what she's really afraid of and it turns out that her real fear revolves around a wood called Eden. So they go there and out there things start to happend. The movie explores among other thing nature and the historical view of the nature as being connected with female evil. The movie is also a great study in abjection and raises strong abjection in the viewer, the first time I saw the movie I at one point was about to throw up but then seriously had to rewind to see if she actually did what it looked like she did, a perfect example of abjection. One will either love it or hate it but everyone will deinitely feel something after having seen it, I personally think it's one of the best movies that has been made this last decade.

Here is the trailer:

Last edited by a moderator:
hachiko_a_dogs_story_ver4.jpg

It may be, I don't know that title. I certainly was PMSing though, sorry TMI. :p

I got this from Netflix like the day after it came out. BUY TISSUES.

Over the Holiday Weekend I went to see three films in one day.
'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning' and 'The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner' showing as an Alan Sillitoe memorial double-bill, followed a few hours later with a 'Fight Club' chaser.
I suppose you could say they were all 'young men in existential crisis' movies with forty years and an Atlantic Ocean separating them. All immensely enjoyable, and some surprising connections between, ones I hadn't thought about prior to the screenings. All three films feature their heros physically harming themselves as expression of inner angst. In fact the opening section of 'Saturday..' includes Albert Finney deliberately throwing himself down a flight of stairs, whilst drunk, unseen from public gaze. He lands at the foot of the stairs with a look of virtual ecstacy on his bloodied face. Cut to the final 'confrontation' between the narrator and Tyler Durden in 'Fight Club' where the same act occurs. I could go on, but if you get a chance, check it out. It's quite a cool triple bill.
Despite being an admirer of Morrissey for some 20 years or more, I had never actually seen one scene of 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning'. What an excellent film. It still holds true today, and hasn't dated in the slightest. Razor sharp writing, and you believed every flicker in Finney's eyes. Bravura performance.

I watched...

st3391rocky-horror-picture-show-posters.jpg

for the first time the other day. So much fun, and I'm going to see it on stage in a few weeks. :D

I saw that last Saturday on the big screen, so many people went all out dressing up and everyone was up dancing and singing and getting interactive (throwing rice/confetti/toilet paper etc). It was great :thumb:.

Alice in Wonderland - the new Johnny Depp version.

It's a typical Tim Burton film with typical Danny Elfman music - but I like their style, so thumbs up from me.

Also, Barbara Windsor was the voice of the doormouse. Kept expecting her to say 'get outta my pub!'

'Cracked Actor - A Film About David Bowie' (BBC Colour, 1975)

'Did You Hear About The Morgans' - Terrible, truly terrible. But I'm just not in the mood to watch 'proper' films at the moment...

200px-Outofmyleague.jpg

I saw She's Out Of My League last night. It's a well-trodden story of how the skinny, unattractive, geeky type lad wins the heart of a stunningly attractive girl. Jay Baruchel stars as Kirk, the nice, but geeky kid who works in a dead end job in airport security, one day Molly, played by Alice Eve, loses her phone whilst checking in on Kirk's shift. Molly invites him to dinner to say thanks, and here begins the romance. It's pretty preictable stuff, but it works. This is down to the good cast and direction, throw in some funny scenes and an incredibly attractive leading lady, and you could do a lot worse with your 104 minutes. Worth seeing.

'The Secret Diaries Of Miss Anne Lister',
Lesbian love in 19th century Yorkshire, beautifully acted by the very gifted Maxine Peake.
Her diaries were part written in code which remained so for nigh on 150 years after her death in 1840.
Plenty of stolen kisses/moments as you'd expect due to society's ignorance and/or abhorrence of lesbianism in such era's.
51rz3KT0EzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Splice:

It's very, very Cronenberg, with just a dash of David Lynch.

Splice is smart, well-written, and a little deeper than your average slimy creature-feature. If only the director had been a little less conventional, this could have been a great film. As it is it's an enjoyably twisted, (intentionally) depressing new take on the Frankenstein metaphor.

Adrien Brody is fantastic, and the creature is very well-realized. Go see it only if you're in the right mood, because it's very, very dark.

Last edited by a moderator:
There Will Be Blood - critically acclaimed, and obviously a well made film. didn't really get it though, left me cold and just found it pretty boring. about a ruthless oil prospector played by daniel-day lewis who was very good in this film. like i said, well made film, with great acting performances, but i just didn't like it.

Sex and the City 2. It was over the top, vulgar and superficial. I loved it!!! :D
have you watched the tv series before? -it is million times better than the film(s)-i was disapointed by the film but like the tv series:...funny , quick, entertaining...(minus the clothes gucci manolo talk which i couldnt care less its a great tv series

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom