Marketing Morrissey's Rumpus

Vauxhall95

I Know It's Over...
I’ve been reflecting upon Morrissey’s arse quite a bit lately. As a fan for over fifteen years, I appreciate the humor, and play on his previous album’s title, “Your Arsenal.” I’m wondering though, if the whole idea of a Greatest Hits album is to attract the casual fan and introduce them to an artist’s catalog, if perhaps, maybe placing a photo of Morrissey’s arse in the linear notes was the optimum way to proceed? Perhaps his arse could have waited for the next studio album to introduce itself? It has patiently waited over a decade to introduce itself.

Just to clarify, I’m pro-arse, I’m just thinking it might not be the best time to show the world the sun does indeed shine from his behind.

What say ye?:confused:

*anti-arse* :mad: I was never here... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how/if the arse will help introduce him to the casual fan. I think the opposite is true. Only the diehards want anything to do with it. People will buy it -casual or not- for the songs but the fanatics want it for the photo.

And yeah, it could've waited. Till I got to his place anyway ;)

*anti-arse* :mad: I was never here... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how/if the arse will help introduce him to the casual fan. I think the opposite is true. Only the diehards want anything to do with it. People will buy it -casual or not- for the songs but the fanatics want it for the photo.

And yeah, it could've waited. Till I got to his place anyway ;)

Happy Valentine's Day!

Yes, the arse just seems oddly out of place on this album. I believe it should have been an "arseless" album.

Look just be grateful you have his arse.:D

The posession of this picture has greatly improved my mood for the last three days.

I just wished that i could get him to roll over in the pic.;):horny:

His next b-side should be a cover of "rump shaker".

no, i take that back. the last time i joked that his rear end should be prominently shown on the cover of one of his albums, it sort of came true...

Morrissey says:

So, the choice I have made
May seem strange to you
But who ARSED you, anyway?

:o

Unusually for me I’m advancing slowly through the interviews in the new book “Morrissey in Conversation”. Coincidentally this morning while overseeing the repair of a domestic accident, my bookmark brought me to one by Stuart Bailie that took place on Feb 14, 1987: 20 years ago to the day. Bailie worked for the Record Mirror and there were two quotes in it that are somewhat on topic.

While agreeing that despite the twisted morality in the world, Morrissey finds support for the Smiths heartening, “he gratefully acknowledges the Record Mirror poll results which gave the Smiths the best band award, the best album (The Queen is Dead), the best single (Panic). And as for the man himself taking the runner-up slot in the ‘Best Buttocks” category? ‘It was perfectly justified,’ he immodestly remarks…”

Another quote of his was: “I often feel that whereas I can lay eggs, Johny can make omelettes”. :)

I think most people who buy the album will look at that picture once, have a bit of a giggle, maybe show their friends, and then forget all about it.
They certainly won't obsess about it for days and analyse it in great detail like some of the people on the main board did.

So in that sense, it will make no difference in the marketing at all. It would be different if it was on the front cover, but it's not.

I think most people who buy the album will look at that picture once, have a bit of a giggle, maybe show their friends, and then forget all about it.
They certainly won't obsess about it for days and analyse it in great detail like some of the people on the main board did.

So in that sense, it will make no difference in the marketing at all. It would be different if it was on the front cover, but it's not.

Agreed. And how many casual (or new) fans will even buy the physical CD vs downloading it off iTunes or whatever? I'm not sure how many casual fans will even see the picture.... until they listen to it a few times and become interested enough to come here. ;)

Agreed. And how many casual (or new) fans will even buy the physical CD vs downloading it off iTunes or whatever? I'm not sure how many casual fans will even see the picture.... until they listen to it a few times and become interested enough to come here. ;)

Well someone bought the damn thing. It is #5 at week's end. His arse is all over this town!:)

I’ve been reflecting upon Morrissey’s arse quite a bit lately. As a fan for over fifteen years, I appreciate the humor, and play on his previous album’s title, “Your Arsenal.” I’m wondering though, if the whole idea of a Greatest Hits album is to attract the casual fan and introduce them to an artist’s catalog, if perhaps, maybe placing a photo of Morrissey’s arse in the linear notes was the optimum way to proceed? Perhaps his arse could have waited for the next studio album to introduce itself? It has patiently waited over a decade to introduce itself.

Just to clarify, I’m pro-arse, I’m just thinking it might not be the best time to show the world the sun does indeed shine from his behind.

pro arse ...LOL

I personally think it was to make the hardcore fans buy the greatest hits, even though we have the songs.
But I still couldn't justify it... not even for the arse.
Maybe if it had been a pull out poster...
:D

I personally think it was to make the hardcore fans buy the greatest hits, even though we have the songs.
But I still couldn't justify it... not even for the arse.
Maybe if it had been a pull out poster...
:D

i bought it for the collection.

i'm buying another for the arse.

at least it isn't the frontal and it opened up like a pop up book :eek:

i bought it for the collection.

i'm buying another for the arse.

at least it isn't the frontal and it opened up like a pop up book :eek:

I love the idea of a pop-up book!! Sign me up!:)

Back
Top Bottom