Morrissey's recording approach

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2008 (read-only)' started by Desert Bee, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Desert Bee

Desert Bee Member

...I keep on reading how Morrissey used to have his music composed around his vocals. How does that work? Besides what i can derive from my past sentence, I just find it hard to imagine how you can come up with a "rockabilly" song and then write the music around it.

Can someone explain if this is particularly hard to do or does it come easy to musicians.

Cheers.

2. Franzanna

Franzanna In retirement

I think he stopped doing that soon after The Smiths. That's what I think. If I haven't just made this up, I think it had certainly died out by Your Arsenal.

3. Wozzer

Wozzer New Member

You'll need one hell of a vision to come up with proper lyrics and vocal melody without anykind of supporting instruments. It's a shame Morrissey hasn't spoken more of the methods how he actually creates the songs. I find the subject soooo very interesting.

Any good interviews concerning the subject?

4. pronocturn

pronocturn New Member

There's an interesting bit in the recent Jerry Finn obituary here that talks about how he attempted to change Moz's recording practice from the old (demo instrumental tape submitted -> lyric ideas jotted down at home -> Moz enters studio with band to knock out song, Moz records vocals -> song eventually finished) to a more conventional music/lyrics band balance in the studio.
    I always found it strange (though not exactly unrewarding) how disjointed the 'old' process was, and how Moz would often sing oddly over the already written music (singing a verse over the intended chorus part, etc). But it wasn't always the case (even back to Smiths days, for instance Half A Person and a few others were written with Moz/Marr sitting jamming face-to-face, according to Goddard).

5. Danny_

Danny_ Forgot my login!

Unfortunately, journalists never seem very interested in asking Morrissey about his working practices. They are much more interested in trying to find out if he has a sex life. :rolleyes:

6. So are most of his here, judging by the discussion that's generated when his sex life is mentioned. On a similar note, last week I was considering starting a thread to discuss Morrissey's poetical style, rhetorical devices, literary tropes, etc., but was warned against it by another SoLowist who thought that it'd be a no-reply thread.

7. Dave

Dave Guest

What could he possibly say about it? It's work. I think it would be like interviewing a waitress about what she thinks of as she makes your milkshake.

8. PregnantForTheLastTime

PregnantForTheLastTime Hideous trait.

I would be very interested in participating in a thread like this. I'm only interested in Morrissey for literary reasons. Really.