Johnny Marr interview in Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant; mentions Smiths split

‘Bij alles wat ik deed stonden fans en journalisten te luisteren of het wel genoeg op The Smiths leek’ - De Volkskrant

Some interesting comments by Marr on The Smiths split. Please note: these are (amateurish) translations from a (journalists) translation in Dutch.

"The best decision I ever made was running away from The Smiths. I never regretted it, it really was done. Always when somebody calls again: gee, what a shame, I think: dude, you should know. The chemistry between Morrissey and me had worked out. We weren't friends, the only thing that tied us were shared musical preferences. When we could no longer find each other in music, it was done."

"I initially laughed at Morrisseys sarcasm and was touched by his strong anti-macho texts. But after five years of references to Oscar Wilde and sixties films, I was slightly done with it. I myself read J.G. Ballard and William S. Burroughs. I loved dystopian literature. Morrissey was actually more romantic."

"Morrissey and I were different in almost anything. Always. OK, thanks to his lyrics to Meat Is Murder, I stopped eating meat, but otherwise I've never attached much value to his opinions. All I can say is that The Smiths stood up for the rightless and the oppressed, the marginalized ones in our society because of their sexual orientation, race or descent. That is what The Smiths stood for. And we called ourselves leftwing. Morrissey engaging himself with disseminators of hatred is horrible, but I have felt so far away from him for so long that I can't really worry about it. What he does, says or sings, doesn't interest me. And please note: even he can not rewrite our history. I do not recognize anything in him what we once stood for as a band. "

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a pity that long term The Smiths and Morrissey fans are getting in this tornado of insults, division and hatred. How far we are from what it used to be. Those who followed them from day one know what I mean. The Smiths/Morrissey/Marr fans used to be like a nice collective, almost like a brotherhood, but now... How sad!!
It's a reflection of the world.

We now know too much about each other for real community to occur.

It's easier to like people when they keep their mouth shut.

Sorry guys I am out topic but I am gutted this Urbanus. Really where are the moderators?

Wish I had one, would be playing with it all day and night.

Funny how you never answered the question on wether you were happy about the kids being killed in Manchester after the shit you posted about Manchester. You’re a troll just like Vegan, except you try to be some sort of tough nut rather than the simpleton that Vegan is.

In fairness, Judas betrayed Jesus when the cock crowed three times. In this modern retelling, it's Morrissey who's the cock, and Johnny has tolerated quite a lot of crowing before finally deciding enough is enough.

Simon Peter denied knowing Jesus three times before the cock crowed.
"Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice." Matthew 26:34

Judas betrayed Jesus with a kiss and for 30 pieces of silver.

"Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver. And from that time he sought opportunity to betray him." Matthew 26:14-16

"And while he yet spake, lo, Judas, one of the twelve, came, and with him a great multitude with swords and staves, from the chief priests and elders of the people. Now he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he: hold him fast. And forthwith he came to Jesus, and said, Hail, master; and kissed him. And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus, and took him." Matthew 26:47-50

"Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice." Matthew 26:34

"Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver. And from that time he sought opportunity to betray him." Matthew 26:14-16

"And while he yet spake, lo, Judas, one of the twelve, came, and with him a great multitude with swords and staves, from the chief priests and elders of the people. Now he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he: hold him fast. And forthwith he came to Jesus, and said, Hail, master; and kissed him. And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus, and took him." Matthew 26:47-50

Always look on the bright side of life.

I'm always getting my Bible stories mixed up. I can never remember whether it's Leia or Hermione that turns out to be Jesus's sister.

Johnny Marr head on the bar never got a license so he cannot even drive a car.

Fooking tosser. How gay was he onstage with those hip moves?
Johnny Marr next to the bar in front of the dart board, I'd try to score 180 as he has a face that I'd never tire of throwing darts at. Little half pint c***.

Funny how you never answered the question on wether you were happy about the kids being killed in Manchester after the shit you posted about Manchester. You’re a troll just like Vegan, except you try to be some sort of tough nut rather than the simpleton that Vegan is.
LOL

Trying to do that to me does not work so go back to when you accused Rifke of that. We all fell silent for those victims at the Europa League Final last year and I made sure those on the piss stayed silent as well and then we started applauding.
Manchester deserves what it is getting know but not those kids but people all over Manchester murdered them for voting wrong and ignoring the threat.
You are the murderers.

You called me a c*** and that was it. You need to remember your posts made in a rage.

"When he met me, he knew we were different in the way we expressed ourselves, but the most important thing to him spiritually was the most important thing to me spiritually. You can’t be that close with someone for that length of time and go through what we went through on a minute-by-minute basis without having the ultimate connection.

"I know it sounds very poetic, but that’s what kept us together. Only he and I know that something like a fight or a difference in lifestyles or court cases or who said what in the press about who, or what fans might say, is pretty small change compared to the connection we have. It’s very deep. In short, there’s a very big part of him that I understand. And he knows it"
-Johnny Marr, Magnet Magazine, 2002.

Like I said, bullshit.
Thanks for posting these beautiful quotes Amy. It moves me deeply to read thee words (again).
Johnny is now distancing himself from Morrissey so much (for better or worse) that he cannot say such things again. Part of the reason is that he's a nice guy and very 'politically correct'.

Ok peeps lets wrap it up here.
We are retiring Drama J from the music scene for his SUPER SUCKO music:hearnoevil:

"When he met me, he knew we were different in the way we expressed ourselves, but the most important thing to him spiritually was the most important thing to me spiritually. You can’t be that close with someone for that length of time and go through what we went through on a minute-by-minute basis without having the ultimate connection.

"I know it sounds very poetic, but that’s what kept us together. Only he and I know that something like a fight or a difference in lifestyles or court cases or who said what in the press about who, or what fans might say, is pretty small change compared to the connection we have. It’s very deep. In short, there’s a very big part of him that I understand. And he knows it"
-Johnny Marr, Magnet Magazine, 2002.

Like I said, bullshit.
I concur, another great quote find Amy and proves that when it comes to the subject of Morrissey and the Smiths, 31 years since their split Johhny remains as shifty as ever.

It's time for Marr to stick up for his old partner and say he is not a racist.
That would be a good headline.
Noel Gallagher has championed Moz in the past, he should have the guts to say it too.
They should stop thinking of their own careers and put an end to all this nonsense.

It's time for Marr to stick up for his old partner and say he is not a racist.
That would be a good headline.
Noel Gallagher has championed Moz in the past, he should have the guts to say it too.
They should stop thinking of their own careers and put an end to all this nonsense.
It's summer and the news drought means any story will be blown out of all proportion and as usual Moz will come out of this stronger than ever and leave a cool remark that will make us all LOL.
Lefties think people listen to them but they already know they have been defeated. We should find an island to fly them to and let them eat rotten bananas.

Sorry guys I am out topic but I am gutted this Urbanus. Really where are the moderators?
Right here where they always was. Some cannot take that I deliver news from other sources and you could be brave to debate them but choose to remain brainwashed.
If you are jewish and gain from that somehow then I hold nothing against you for it but all the rest of you?

The ones on here that sported a palestine in the past are suddenly outraged. Ever wonder why the topic of Israel and Palestine is never one where you can truly choose sides?

Because that is how they planned it.

Israel IP and that means you are in the cyber room down there working for the state.

Knew it!

Swedish nazis in Almedalen for the second year running getting all the attention. Listen to the distant sound of boots coming your way.

DelayedWastefulGibbon-max-1mb.gif

Morrissey has gotten kooky and Johnny shouldn't feel obligated to defend someone he hasn't had a professional relationship with for 30 years. Even still, Johnny twisted the knife a bit here. Neither of those facts negates the quality of eithersmusical output which has been quite good.

I concur, another great quote find Amy and proves that when it comes to the subject of Morrissey and the Smiths, 31 years since their split Johhny remains as shifty as ever.
Abolsutely everything is fake news these days and imagine how hard at work those lefties have been since Moz admitted to not being one of them.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom