Johnny Marr opens up about Smiths split, full interview on YouTube - Radio X

Pleased to see that Radio X released a full 1hr 25 recording of the In Conversation... with Johnny Marr:

They also posted the specific part where
Johnny talks about the split and subsequent help from other artists:

Worth a watch just for the Smiths tunes (and the story of how Hand In Glove came about).
Thanks to Radio X for the full event.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
I find it curious that both Chrissie Hynde and Kirsty MacColl were seemingly close to both Marr and Moz at that time (and in the years following). Given that the split was so acrimonious, you would expect that to be quite awkward.

I love it when everywhere I go, people ask me about my ex wife, whether we're in contact, and if I'd be willing to stick it to her good for old time's sake.

I find it curious that both Chrissie Hynde and Kirsty MacColl were seemingly close to both Marr and Moz at that time (and in the years following). Given that the split was so acrimonious, you would expect that to be quite awkward.

Yes, good point makes me wonder if they talked about it or if it was one of those "don't go there" situations.

I'll save you all some trouble.

Marr left The Smiths because he got tired of being a midwife to a stifling conservative parent who wouldn't let him have any friends.

On top of that, the parent made him do their laundry, and wipe their ass before going out.

Honestly, it's remarkable he lasted as long as he did, but Marr has always been a winner.

When talking about the Smiths split Johnny somehow manages to say an awful lot without actually saying anything at all.
You're not reading between the lines.

Marr said he as heartbroken when he left The Smiths, but he was forced into it.

This suggests that he believes the rumor that Morrissey leaked the breakup to the press in order to force Marr's hand. Marr took that as a betrayal.

Other than that, we know that Marr didn't like the musical direction of The Smiths, and got tired of being the show runner. There were new musical trends emerging in Manchester, and Marr has always been a guy who likes being in the mix.

Put that all together, and you have your reasons for the breakup.

Most good bands should breakup up after three or four albums anyway.

Ancient history. Yawn. He left because he was forced to act as acting manager of the band because of Moz's unreasonable relationship with almost every manager he's ever head. It's called stress.

As much as I respect Marr and his talent, the man has become a frightful muso' bore.

This suggests that he believes the rumor that Morrissey leaked the breakup to the press in order to force Marr's hand. Marr took that as a betrayal.

Other than that, we know that Marr didn't like the musical direction of The Smiths, and got tired of being the show runner. There were new musical trends emerging in Manchester, and Marr has always been a guy who likes being in the mix.

:sleeping:

:frogface: picked Wise Guys to be manager. Moz would not condone such behavior.

johnboy your loaded get yourself a pair of socks.

I love it when everywhere I go, people ask me about my ex wife, whether we're in contact, and if I'd be willing to stick it to her good for old time's sake.
Well then? We need answers!

Has Marr stated that previously? I'm not saying you're wrong but I do find it hard to believe considering that both Marr and Morrissey consider 'Strangeways...' as their favourite Smiths record.

Well then? We need answers!
She's doing well. Had a little health scare recently, but it wasn't as serious as initially thought. Yes, I'm in contact. She's the mother of my child. And finally, I would rather stick my dick in a bees nest than in her ever again. :lbf:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom