Johnny Marr on The Smiths in Los Angeles - L.A. TACO interview

[originally posted in the thread Johnny Marr live radio interview]

Similar written interview from yesterday:
JOHNNY MARR’S LOS ANGELES ~ AN L.A. TACO EXCLUSIVE WITH THE LEGENDARY SMITHS GUITARIST.

Excerpt:

"A big moment that still stands out for Marr were the two nights in 1986 when The Smiths played at the now-defunct Universal Amphitheater. He writes about these shows in his autobiography: “The first night in LA was attended by some celebrities, and Joe Dallesandro, the cover star on our first album, came to meet us backstage. The Smiths’ shows in L.A. were always an event.”

Over thirty years later and sitting not too far from where it happened, Marr remembers this moment well and identifies its greater cultural significance: “We liberated straight boys,” he tells me."

http://www.lataco.com/johnny-marrs-los-angeles-interview-with-guitarist-of-the-smiths/

Some discussion of The Smiths in LA.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
[originally posted in the thread Johnny Marr live radio interview]

Similar written interview from yesterday:
JOHNNY MARR’S LOS ANGELES ~ AN L.A. TACO EXCLUSIVE WITH THE LEGENDARY SMITHS GUITARIST.

Excerpt:

"A big moment that still stands out for Marr were the two nights in 1986 when The Smiths played at the now-defunct Universal Amphitheater. He writes about these shows in his autobiography: “The first night in LA was attended by some celebrities, and Joe Dallesandro, the cover star on our first album, came to meet us backstage. The Smiths’ shows in L.A. were always an event.”

Over thirty years later and sitting not too far from where it happened, Marr remembers this moment well and identifies its greater cultural significance: “We liberated straight boys,” he tells me."

http://www.lataco.com/johnny-marrs-los-angeles-interview-with-guitarist-of-the-smiths/

Some discussion of The Smiths in LA.
Regards,
FWD.

what? No mention of Morrissey?! What’s the point of reading this? ;)

Kidding aside, interesting that Marr lived on Kings road in LA... I’m sure the connection wasn’t lost on him. :)

I reckon John Maher really is trying to become Steve Morrissey and where is the first place to start when trying to be Uncle Steve but Moz Angeles. What's next? Pics of John at Taco Tuesday at The Sunset Marquis, racing John Lydon and William Michael Albert Broad on their jet skis from Malibu to Zuma, basketball games on Venice Beach? Trejos?? Oh please reckon mate....Los Panchos is where Steve gets his tacos. Stay in Portland, Oregon mate...you could never afford to live here anyway inn n nn n nn n n n din't.

Last edited:
I reckon John Maher really is trying to become Steve Morrissey and where is the first place to start when trying to be Uncle Steve but Moz Angeles. What's next? Pics of John at Taco Tuesday at The Sunset Marquis, racing John Lydon and William Michael Albert Broad on their jet skis from Malibu to Zuma, basketball games on Venice Beach? Trejos?? Oh please reckon mate....Los Panchos is where Steve gets his tacos. Stay in Portland, Oregon mate...you could never afford to live here anyway inn n nn n nn n n n din't.

You chat more shit than yer average coprophage

you are getting quite a big bore now

Reckon I didn't read one word of this. Reckon everyone just skipped right over your cry for attention.

Johnny is legendary almost exclusively because of his work with The Smiths. Moz is legendary because of his work with The Smiths and also for some brilliant solo work. For the most part Moz's output since his 'career' began far exceeds that of the other Smiths. By a mile. Regardless of whether or not you like some of the solo albums.
On the negative side of the equation, Moz erodes his 'cultural icon cachet' almost every time he gives an interview these days. But in terms of musical output and song quality, Moz is in a different league.

Johnny is legendary almost exclusively because of his work with The Smiths. Moz is legendary because of his work with The Smiths and also for some brilliant solo work. For the most part Moz's output since his 'career' began far exceeds that of the other Smiths. By a mile. Regardless of whether or not you like some of the solo albums.
On the negative side of the equation, Moz erodes his 'cultural icon cachet' almost every time he gives an interview these days. But in terms of musical output and song quality, Moz is in a different league.

While I do agree that Johnny Marr is legendary for the Smiths, I think it is more his long, varied creative career that he is now known for. It can be seen now that he and Morrissey converged just for that short time of brilliance and then veered off into completely different creative paths.

Johnny's solo album and recent tour have been reviewed effusively, having seen him several times this year, I couldn't agree more:

http://www.dailycal.org/2018/09/30/johnny-marr-the-fillmore/
http://www.goldminemag.com/reviews/johnny-marrs-manhattan-show-was-marvelous

what? No mention of Morrissey?! What’s the point of reading this? ;)

Kidding aside, interesting that Marr lived on Kings road in LA... I’m sure the connection wasn’t lost on him. :)

Not off topic Bluebirds. Read the interview, clown.

While I do agree that Johnny Marr is legendary for the Smiths, I think it is more his long, varied creative career that he is now known for. It can be seen now that he and Morrissey converged just for that short time of brilliance and then veered off into completely different creative paths.

Johnny's solo album and recent tour have been reviewed effusively, having seen him several times this year, I couldn't agree more:

http://www.dailycal.org/2018/09/30/johnny-marr-the-fillmore/
http://www.goldminemag.com/reviews/johnny-marrs-manhattan-show-was-marvelous
I wish I loved his new album but the only song I liked was Hi Hello which is basically a rip off of There Is A Light. It's all good and well being varied but only if the songs are any good. I guess the fact I don't rate him as a singer is probably ruining the songs for me. I'll give Call The Comet another chance. Maybe it will be a grower.

I reckon John Maher really is trying to become Steve Morrissey...

Johnny MARR writes in Set the Boy Free:

"The first thing I did when I started dealing with lawyers was to get my name changed legally so that I was finally and officially Johnny Marr."

...So I reckon there's no need to constantly refer to him as John Maher.

Last edited:

:rolleyes:

No I was commenting on Bluebirds rating that post of mine off topic when it was not off topic.

The idiot obviously did not read the interview that is the topic of the thread.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom