At first I liked Ringleader better than Quarry but now I've switched my mind. You?

Do you now like Quarry better than Ringleader whereas the opposite was true at first?

• Total voters

King Leer

Leering since '97
Here's my break down in point form:

- Quarry, better songwriting and lyrics.
- Quarry, better b-sides, by a mile.
- Ringleader, better production on the whole, but Jerry Finn's style Does suit certain Moz songs.
- Pigsty, blows away anything from the Quarry era. Ganglord its gun-toting cousin.
- First of the Gang blows away the singles from Ringleader by a mile.

Disregarding tracks from other eras, in the past year Quarry has slowly taken over Ringleader to the point where I only play a couple of Rott tracks.

I didn't create a poll option for those who don't like either album or don't prefer one o'er the other, sorry. It also includes b-sides.

Last edited:
Re: At first I liked Ringleader better than Quarry but now I've switched my mind. You

I love Ringleader and really don't like Quarry much at all. Obviously, there are good songs on Quarry like I Have Forgiven Jesus, I'm Not Sorry and Let Me Kiss You but it has it's fair share of crap too. I can't stand First Of The Gang To Die and really don't understand why it's so popular. The lyrics are awful! Like you say, some great b-sides like Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice (still my favourite song of his since the hiatus) and Never Played symphonies but, lest we forget, Morrissey also managed his worst ever song with Mexico. A more patronising load of bollocks I've yet to hear.

Ringleader has it's flaws (mainly, I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now) but the bulk of the songs I really like. Dear God, Please Help Me, Life Is A Pigsty, I Just Want To See The Boy Happy, At Last I Am Born are among his best and the b-sides, I thought, were just as good as Quarry: Ganglord, Song From Under the Floorboards, Human Being, Good Looking Man About Town, I Knew I Was Next, and I quite like Sweetie Pie just for it's ambition. Nice to see Morrissey playing out of his safety zone, as they say in X-Factor.

Roll on the next album.....

Re: At first I liked Ringleader better than Quarry but now I've switched my mind. You

I use to love Ringleader a lot more than Quarry when it first came out. I think i may have played it to death. Now i prefer Quarry- when i first heard it i never took to it much:o.

I've always preferred YATQ over ROTT but I still enjoy ROTT in it's "sounds nothing like any previous album" way =0)

Last edited:

They're both pretty disappointing albums in my humble.
In the huge poll we did last year and earlier this year, out of all 12 Morrissey and Smiths albums, Who Ate Me Curry was ranked 8th and Ringleader 10th (with Southpaw between the two) and Kill Uncle/Maladjusted in the bottom two positions.
I really hope Moz ups his game for the new album. Think I may lose interest if we get yet another album of generic, plodding, mid-paced, indie pop...

I realize that an answer of "No" can mean you always liked Quarry better or that you still like Ringleader better, but I was more interested in the switchover aspect.

It's only based on anecdotal evidence, but my impression is that Quarry created a lot of new and younger fans, and maybe brought some old fans back into the fold. I'm not sure Ringleader did any of those things.

Echoing a poster further up, I do think Ringleader kind of stands on its own as an album that sounds unique from the rest of the discography and might be more cohesive than Quarry. Southpaw was like that and just about as many people hated that record as Ringleader!

- Ringleader, better production on the whole, but Jerry Finn's style Does suit certain Moz songs.
- Pigsty, blows away anything from the Quarry era. Ganglord its gun-toting cousin.

I agree pretty much with all of your bullet points. I was a latecomer Moz/Smiths fan, and You Are The Quarry was the first full album that I'd heard from him. I loved it and it made me seek out the rest of his albums, and naturally I was blown away by what I found in his back catalog. So for the longest time after that I couldn't really listen to YATQ, if only because I played it to death at first and his older music interested me more.

Since ROTT came out, my opinion of YATQ has risen again. After picking it up again, several of the non-single tracks (especially I'm Not Sorry and All The Lazy Dykes) sound very fresh and enjoyable. I was excited about Visconti working with Moz, but really I hope that their creative partnership is done with. Objectively, the production is still better than Finn's, but after repeated listens it just sounds sort of lifeless for the most part. This could partially be Jesse's fault for contributing some bland songs (and Morrissey's for slipping a bit lyrically). Don't get me wrong, there were a few great songs from the ROTT period, but on the whole it just left me unsatisfied.

Finn may be a bit hamfisted, but his song treatments compliment Morrissey very nicely in my opinion. I can't wait to hear what the recorded versions of the new songs sound like.

I realize that an answer of "No" can mean you always liked Quarry better or that you still like Ringleader better, but I was more interested in the switchover aspect.

It's only based on anecdotal evidence, but my impression is that Quarry created a lot of new and younger fans, and maybe brought some old fans back into the fold. I'm not sure Ringleader did any of those things.

Echoing a poster further up, I do think Ringleader kind of stands on its own as an album that sounds unique from the rest of the discography and might be more cohesive than Quarry. Southpaw was like that and just about as many people hated that record as Ringleader!

YATQ was a welcome resurgence, but perhaps he rested on his laurels a bit with ROTT. He had us... then lost us? If only momentarily... ROTT sounds a bit lazy and lyrically bland to me (to echo ++++ below) it did leave me wanting 'more' which is something I have never felt before with Morrissey's music.

How I want/hope/would love a new track like Come Back to Camden *sighs with fingers crossed*

I don't see this as being a black mark against Ringleader. Ringleader isn't as poppy as Quarry, but I think that's a good thing. Ringleader is much more interesting musically and lyrically. If anything Ringleader's release made me see the flaws in Quarry by comparison. I don't care how many fans Quarry brought to the fold, it's still not as good an album.

I prefer "Ringleader Of The Tormentors". I came around to it very slowly but every time I listen to it I discover some rich new layer. His voice has never sounded better. He is peaking as a vocalist, however disappointing (read: merely adequate) some of the rockish arrangements are. And I love the Italian theme that runs through the album.

"Quarry" is good, too, but it feels too much like the triumphant comeback album, similar in some ways to "Your Arsenal". A couple of Morrissey's albums sound like they've got something to prove, and those aren't always his best.

To me, Quarry is an album of songs. Ringleader is an album. Does that make sense? Ringleader seems to present a more consistent message throughout, both thematically and musically, exploring the topics of death and forgivenness and revenge and a few others--it's closer to a concept album, I think. Not that that's a bad thing, it isn't at all.

I like them both. I don't rank and prioritize how much I like the art I like, I just take each piece for what it says to me.

Fair enough -- I think with these two albums nobody is "right," whereas if somebody were to say Vauxhall was a bad album, they'd be empirically wrong.

I really do like some of the 70s glam Roxy Music, prog rock elements on Ringleader, and think Dear God is beautiful and ridiculous at the same time. The highs are probably higher. As I said though, I am including b-sides and there was a real poverty of good songs in the Ringleader sessions whereas tracks like The Never Played and It's Hard to Walk were really really good.

Edit: Whoops, that was a reply to Jones' post.

Edit 2: Agree with Worm about the spaghetti string laced through Ringleader. And Christian Dior IS a very good b-side.

Last edited:

Quarry was always the best of both in my opinion. I think Quarry has stronger songs and much better arrangements.
PregnantForTheLastTime put it best: Quarry is a album of songs, Ringleader is more of an album.
Ringleader to me, seems to have 'filler' tracks.
so yeah...I never changed my mind. :)

I use to love Ringleader a lot more than Quarry when it first came out. I think i may have played it to death. Now i prefer Quarry- when i first heard it i never took to it much:o.

i agree , i think ROTT is over tried , much like the comments in another thread i think the feel has been lost to the proffesional approach to making music

PregnantForTheLastTime put it best: Quarry is a album of songs, Ringleader is more of an album.
Ringleader to me, seems to have 'filler' tracks.

Wait, is that what Pregs meant?

I always liked Quarry better, although my opinion of ROTT is higher now that it was before I heard half of its songs live.

At first I liked ROTT since I thought it felt more like a real album more then YATQ but since then I have begun to enjoy classic album tracks like "I'm Not Sorry" and Come Back To Camden more and even the filler All The Lazy Dykes. The music ain't outstanding on either but YATQ's lyrics is better then ROTT, to tell the truth I don't even have a favourite line from ROTT (!). I'd even quote America Is Not The World before I'd use I Will See You In Far-Off Places.

Allthough ROTT has the feeling of an album it feels as recorded and written after a templeta of four "radio friendly" singels, a grand opening track/closing tracks, two bombastic songs and some album tracks. Sadly nothing more and nothing less. Atleast YATQ surprised me even being very conservative but ROTT - armed with two new songwriters, Tony Visconti and Ennio Morricone - fails to.

Here's my break down in point form:

Disregarding tracks from other eras, in the past year Quarry has slowly taken over Ringleader to the point where I only play a couple of Rott tracks.

I didn't create a poll option for those who don't like either album or don't prefer one o'er the other, sorry. It also includes b-sides.

Agree with the good king in most respects, but find I am unable to commit to one either way--which is something of a surprise to myself! I like the majority of the songs on YATQ - in fact, I only think it sags at Bores... and How Can Anybody Think This Song is Lyrically Good? and limps into the finish line with You Know I Couldn't Last - but Finn's production atrocities turn me off. On the flip side, I quite like Visconti's touch and the feel of wholeness, production-wise, on RotT. But then you have Jesse's ineffectual fingers trying to locate a tune and it's all over on most of his songs for me.

There is some ebb and flow to both albums' B-sides, with gems and turds in either batch. For instance, I think Friday Mourning is hopelessly overrated whilst Good Looking Man About Town is tragically underappreciated.

A-sides-wise, You Have Killed Me was respectable, but each succeeding single seemed more off to me. Granted, the material Alain brought to the table was better served as album tracks. But I Just Want the Boy to Be Happy is absolutely deplorable in consideration of the high standards set in the past. YATQ singles mop up on this front--gutsy, too, to withhold the best single choice from the album until the second single. In the past, Morrissey has often lifted maybe the only obvious single or the song with the best chance of chart activity and then followed them up with "fingers-crossed" choices in consideration of the Hit Parade.

I do think Morrissey's lyrical energy diminished for the majority of RotT. The "less is more" songs seem just too trite and obvious for my palate. On songs like All the Lazy Dykes and Teenage Dad on His Estate we found him reaching for the lonely and isolated on different avenues of his usual beat. Points for the lyrics on Christian Dior, but, to my ears, sadly retread musically.

Of the new songs we've heard for the next round, Something Is Squeezing My Skull is most interesting b/c of the confessional aspect to it. Children in Pieces has so far left me cold, as have One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell and Paris--though musically the latter two seem a cut in the right direction. I think the true outcome will best be tested by the ratio of Alain/Boz songs to Jesse's, how commercial a feel he goes for (in overall sound and choices of singles), and if the lyrical pilot light has been properly lit.

Cheers,
Jamie

Wait, is that what Pregs meant?

I always liked Quarry better, although my opinion of ROTT is higher now that it was before I heard half of its songs live.

Yeah, sorry that wasn't a direct quote.

Back
Top Bottom