Will Moz now have to drop National Front Disco?

Maurice E

It’s one of his best ever songs (the Houdini poll has proved what we knew all along) and what a joy it was to hear it again in the 07/07 tours. Moz thought he could re-introduce it as the racism accusations were now so far in the past.
But now look what’s happened. His defence of ‘England for the English’ was always that it was in quotation marks i.e. not his view. But his recent comments make the whole thing a lot more ambiguous. Will he drop the song? Should he drop the song?
Let’s all have a heated debate!

I all this hassel was started by narrow minded people, most of them who obiously cannot read. Or have narrrow vision which only allows them to read that line in the song. Why should these people ruin it for the rest of us? It is an incredible song, I don't see the big deal.

yes i think he should stop going now:p

He never stopped singing it after the last NME inspired racism fiasco...so why should he now?

No he didn't stop instantly but he didn't play it again after 1992 for 14 years.
He said in the current NME interview that the racism thing is deadwood. Unfortunately, it isn't now.

He will definitely play it in Jannuary!
Though I still don't see how it's considered to be a racist song...

He will definitely play it in Jannuary!
Though I still don't see how it's considered to be a racist song...

It's not a racist song.
But it features the line 'England for the English' which is a philosphy adopted by many racist people.
The explanation was that the song's protagonist (David) says those words and not Morrissey. Unfortunately, Your Arsenal came without a lyric sheet so this was not clear.
Morrissey is suggesting that immigration is largely responsible for the loss of British identity. This is also a view that many racist people have. Of course, it doesn't mean Moz is racist. He isn't. But it means this whole issue is far from straightforward...

He played NFD on the Boxers tour as well I think. (I'll check Passions in a bit)

I have it on quite good authority that Moz and the boys will be wearing SS uniforms borrowed off Lemmy and doing National Front Disco, Bengali in Platforms and Asian Rut followed by a cover version of "Send the buggers back" (from Phoenix Nights!) This may not be strictly true

Lol, Enjoying the idea of them doing the Pheonix Nights thing...."We only wanted white ones and you've sent us bloody black."

I never got why National Front Disco was considered racist, either. I always thought it was pretty anti racist, to be honest. But there you go, maybe I interperated it all wrong. I hope he does it in January because I bloody love that song.

I think the problem is people not reading the entire song, they tunnel their vision at the chorus. "David, the wind blows". Like many others I just interpret the song as a tale of a boy who was lead into the wrong crowd aka The National Front.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. England for the English!" is there maybe a hint of sarcasm there. Maybe he is rolling his eyes back as he says it.

If he is put into the situation where he cannot play this song, the concept of free speech is lost.

Moz thought he could re-introduce it as the racism accusations were now so far in the past.

What?! I'm sorry, Maurice E, but you're really reaching here. You don't know what he thinks, or why. It's an incredible song, and he sang it because he felt like singing it! Period.

Will Moz now have to drop National Front Disco?

He doesn't have to do anything, thank ye very much.
And I don't think he would ever drop one of the best songs in his catalogue -- and one that I personally never tire of listening to) because of some two-bit shitrag like the NME (not that i'm bitter :D).

He should absolutely not drop the song, it is surely one of his best. I agree - the people that have criticised TNFD are the ones that have interpreted it incorrectly. Morrissey is not being racist, simply providing a social commentary on one of the dominant themes paramount in the times of his writing.

I hope he plays it at the Roundhouse in Jan. :)

I'm pretty sure he won't drop it. The media hasn't stopped him before. Anyway the interveiw didn't really contain anything about 'The National Front Disco'. Just 'Bengali In Platforms', which may be considered distasteful at the worse.

I just think it is silly people assume that Morrissey has a union jack tattoo across his arse just because he says 'England for the English'. Too be honest it is more likely Morrissey ridiculous the National Front due to the sarcasm.

Trainspotter question -- Morrissey dropped the actual words "national front disco," truncating it to just "national..." when he sung the song live after the Finsbury debacle. I don't think he's reinstated it on the latest tour (?). Did he sing the words in full before Finsbury, and what was the first live airing of the song?

Enough questions?

Over my dead body will he stop playing that song!!!! :mad:

I think the problem is people not reading the entire song, they tunnel their vision at the chorus. "David, the wind blows". Like many others I just interpret the song as a tale of a boy who was lead into the wrong crowd aka The National Front.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. England for the English!" is there maybe a hint of sarcasm there. Maybe he is rolling his eyes back as he says it.

It's a song open to the racist interpretation. I hate to say that because I do not believe Morrissey is a racist and I've defended him many times from that idiotic charge. But "National Front Disco" is a song that tiptoes along a fine line.

You mention that the song is addressed to David. It's true that the song's sentiments are not the singer's, just reported by the singer (Morrissey or maybe just a character he has created). But notice the parallel verses that begin with "David":

David, the wind blows
The wind blows ...
Bits of your life away​

And then here (italics mine):

David, the winds blow
The winds blow ...
All of my dreams away​

The singer is identifying to some degree with David. "The wind", whatever that means-- and it could be merely a metaphor like "time's tide" in "That Joke", not code for anything other than natural decay, but it's not clear because later he sings of "thunder", which is clearly a euphemism for race war-- blows bits of David's life away. The same "wind" blows the singer's dreams away. The crucial difference is that the singer adds, "I still say, 'Where is our boy?'" Put differently, "David, what troubles you also troubles me, but I do not run off to the NF". The song can be interpreted as a mocking condemnation of the NF but not necessarily a dismissal of the sentiment "England for the English".

Imagine the song differently. Let's say it was about Love Music Hate Racism, not the NF, and Morrissey was singing to Conor McNicholas. The tone of the song was jovial and upbeat. The song could be interpreted the same way, i.e., "Conor, racism bothers me as much as it does you, but I don't believe your little organization is going to do anything. I wonder if the thunder is ever really gonna begin..." Skepticism about the movement, not the cause, from a songwriter who famously does not join causes and who once made fun of himself by saying he knew he "wanted to change the world by staying in bed".

For that reason "National Front Disco" is open to a negative interpretation. Again, I myself do not believe Morrissey is racist or some secret supporter of the NF or any other group of that kind. Far from it. I also like this song and choose to interpret it as non-racist. But we shouldn't be naive about these kinds of songs. They provoke accusations for a reason. Morrissey says exactly what he wants to say and leaves it for others to interpret, which is as it should be, but "National Front Disco" cannot be explained away by saying it's all about some character named David.

If he is put into the situation where he cannot play this song, the concept of free speech is lost.

Agreed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom