The National Front Disco

joevsw0rld

Hey all. Being young & american I really dont know what this song is about. I know that it's a political party in England (I think). Is this the song that made people say he's racist? Can somone give me the full scoop? I often wonder with some of his songs, since I dont fully understand all of the terms and culture. Thanks alot!

Hey all. Being young & american I really dont know what this song is about. I know that it's a political party in England (I think). Is this the song that made people say he's racist? Can somone give me the full scoop? I often wonder with some of his songs, since I dont fully understand all of the terms and culture. Thanks alot!

hey, our kid, don't worry....

://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_National_Front

that will help you understand what the song is about, and also a bit about the reasons for morrissey writing the song in the 1st place.

Last edited:
ok so I love this song but how do you do you explain really quickly to someone slightly stupid that's it's not racist cos I was trying to a week ago and I ended up talking for ages and I looked asif I was digging my own and Mozs hole:o

ok so I love this song but how do you do you explain really quickly to someone slightly stupid that's it's not racist cos I was trying to a week ago and I ended up talking for ages and I looked asif I was digging my own and Mozs hole:o

First, point out the usage of quotation marks in the lyrics despite the lack of a lyric booklet. :rolleyes:

Then explain that just because someone writes a song about something doesn't mean they agree with it. I mean, Moz isn't even playing the part, so to speak, of David, he is talking about David who is the racist one. Bengali in Platforms though, is really just plain racist to be honest. :p

prowarprot.jpg

The song is about 'David', a boy who is lured into the far right political party 'The National Front'. Moz's refrain 'we have lost our boy' does not suggest he is a racist, quite the opposite.

Comically, the NFs most important figure Martin Webster was expelled from the party for 'homosexuality'.

The British National Party rose out of the ashes of the NF. Webster caused more scandal by saying that he had a gay relationship with BNP leader Nick Griffin.

Griffin is now the face of the 'not racist' BNP.

Griffin was one of the most radical and zealous pursuants of nationalism in the 70s, although he now claims to have turned over a new leaf.

I have always seen this as sort of challenging the outlook of the NF

'There's a country, you don;t live there but one day you would like to'

In other words, the Britain you imagine is just that imagined and idealised. We look at the past with rose tinted specticles on.

'and if you show them what you're made of'

i think this sentence is also a bit of a piss take. in other words, he is taking the piss out of the fact that the NF think if they use enough violence then the England that they imagine is reachable

thanks for the replies, it makes more sense now.

Get Jade Goody to explain it!!!

I have always seen this as sort of challenging the outlook of the NF

'There's a country, you don;t live there but one day you would like to'

In other words, the Britain you imagine is just that imagined and idealised. We look at the past with rose tinted specticles on.

'and if you show them what you're made of'

i think this sentence is also a bit of a piss take. in other words, he is taking the piss out of the fact that the NF think if they use enough violence then the England that they imagine is reachable
and obviously, point out the title to them. A title like 'National Front Disco' really must be a piss-take, what else.

I always thought the meaning of this song was....

A guy called David - not English. Comes to England (theres a country you dont live there but one day you would like to)

In an effort to really BELONG he looks for something to Join - (the National Front)

He has to be big and strong to belong (and if you show them what your made of)

Hi family bemoan the fact their David has joined the NF (We've lost our boy)

He gets into the disco to sing "England for the English"

But he isnt

This is a wonderful song.

The British National Party rose out of the ashes of the NF. Webster caused more scandal by saying that he had a gay relationship with BNP leader Nick Griffin.

Griffin is now the face of the 'not racist' BNP.

Griffin was one of the most radical and zealous pursuants of nationalism in the 70s, although he now claims to have turned over a new leaf.

aye an Crippen was innocent eh?
here's a link just to let people know what scum griffin is
http://www.stopthebnp.org.uk/campainging/NickGriffin.htm

love

Grim (not a member of stopthebnp.org but ought to be)

Back
Top Bottom