where are all the smiths cds?

butley

Being sad everytime I go into a music store I look in The Smiths section just in case they bring out their fifth studio album!
I've noticed that the only Smiths albums on sale are the two editions of The Sound of The Smiths!
It could just be that music stores in Yorkshire aren't much cop I suppose!
It does seem hard to get hold of the back catalague. Maybe Warners are planning to re-release everything in a remastered edition?

My local hmv is just the same, worst crime is they have years of refusal..... For £24.99!!!

When it comes to vinyl at least (perhaps this is only valid for Stockholm) the second hand stores that get Smiths/Morrissey releases sell them quite quickly as they seem to be very much in demand. For some mysterious reason a lot of the shop keepers always ask me if I have any spare Moz/Smiths items to sell them when I walk in the store. Sadly, of course, the demand also means prices gets higher.

I saw Hatful of Hollow in the bargain bin at HMV.....:(

I go to Fopp in Manchester regularily and they always have the studio albums on CD on sale for a fiver each:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

I go to Fopp in Manchester regularily and they always have the studio albums on CD on sale for a fiver each:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

I was in fopp on Monday, they've lowered a lot of CDs down to £3!! An people complain CDs are too expensive. As always though when I'm
willing to spend money I can't find anything that I really want, yet when your not planning on spending you want everything

the hmv where i stay only has the two editions of the sound of the smiths at £17. the only morrissey they have is swords for £13 which is a rop off and years of refusal at £15, another rip off. Morrissey is always expensive.

HMV in Market St Manchester had all the Smiths back catalogue at 'two for 10' last week.

I remember reading that Johnny always regrets how Warners have rubbished their reputation - knocking our poor quality / poorly printed CDs for £5 - you never see that with artists like The Beatles so why for The Smiths?

Dave

the hmv where i stay only has the two editions of the sound of the smiths at £17. the only morrissey they have is swords for £13 which is a rop off and years of refusal at £15, another rip off. Morrissey is always expensive.

You mean 'Swords' isn't in the bargain bin yet?:eek:

Jukebox Jury

I remember reading that Johnny always regrets how Warners have rubbished their reputation - knocking our poor quality / poorly printed CDs for £5 - you never see that with artists like The Beatles so why for The Smiths?

Dave

But unlike The Beatles, there's a sense that the shoddier and more exploitative Warners behave, the more they somehow reaffirm and vindicate Morrissey's passionate dislike of record company executives. A record company releasing product in perfect harmony with The Smiths, as in the case of The Beatles, would somehow be anathema to everything The Smiths stood for. After all these years, The Smiths are still box office poison, still not a product.

I really do hate hmv, it's just no fun going in. Every hmv across the country has more or less the same stuff, for obvious reasons and most items overpriced. Like I say, no fun to go in and have a browse.

Fopp is great, but give me the independent record stores in Manchester any day where you never quite know what you're gonna see

I really do hate hmv, it's just no fun going in. Every hmv across the country has more or less the same stuff, for obvious reasons and most items overpriced. Like I say, no fun to go in and have a browse.

Fopp is great, but give me the independent record stores in Manchester any day where you never quite know what you're gonna see

And Fopp is owned by HMV!

Jukebox Jury

I buy about 80% of my cds online now, only occasionly do i buy from a shop and that usually vinyl exchange were i pick up singles and promos rather than albums. Vinyl Revival for bootlegs and 7" singles and also charity shops for the old classics like tom jones and cilla

But as mentioned in the initial post... Is there any word of remastered releases? Could explain both short supply in some places and clear-out pricing in others.

I recall round the time of "sound of.." rumors that Marr had remastered the whole catalog & the originals would come out over time. Spare us the "reissue, repackage," stuff... we get the irony -- but does anyone know if anything (especially bonus discs with additional material) is forthcoming??

The stock of CD's in high street record stores like HMV has reduced drastically over the last couple of years. They are moving into DVD, games, accessories, books, t-shirts etc...

I decided to get Swords when it was a bit cheaper than the original £15 asking price (HMV), but a month later no shops had it! I ended up buying on ebay. :eek:

Fopp is my choice for older albums at a reasonable price.

The stock of CD's in high street record stores like HMV has reduced drastically over the last couple of years. They are moving into DVD, games, accessories, books, t-shirts etc...

I decided to get Swords when it was a bit cheaper than the original £15 asking price (HMV), but a month later no shops had it! I ended up buying on ebay. :eek:

Fopp is my choice for older albums at a reasonable price.

Thinking about 'Swords', it could become a bit of a collectors item in the not too distant future....I mean, did the record company seriously think it would shift a fantastic amount and print thousands upon thousands.... or did they suss out it would be a low sale release in advance and not produce too large a number?

Jukebox Jury

Being sad everytime I go into a music store I look in The Smiths section just in case they bring out their fifth studio album!
I've noticed that the only Smiths albums on sale are the two editions of The Sound of The Smiths!
It could just be that music stores in Yorkshire aren't much cop I suppose!
It does seem hard to get hold of the back catalague. Maybe Warners are planning to re-release everything in a remastered edition?

I do that too! I don't actually know why I do it, but still every time I go into any music store, I have to look through both Smiths and Morrissey sections even though I already have at least one copy of everything.

I have also noticed that some places onyl have the Sound Of - very poor show indeed.

But as mentioned in the initial post... Is there any word of remastered releases? Could explain both short supply in some places and clear-out pricing in others.

I recall round the time of "sound of.." rumors that Marr had remastered the whole catalog & the originals would come out over time. Spare us the "reissue, repackage," stuff... we get the irony -- but does anyone know if anything (especially bonus discs with additional material) is forthcoming??

If by additional material, you mean any previously unreleased material. I heard that everything that The Smiths ever wrote was at some point or other realeased at the time. Basically due to the fact that The Smiths never wrote any bad songs.

Obviously I don't know if this is true or not, so any futher info from anyone would be appreciated.

But surely if there had been any previously unreleased stuff, then it would have been by now?

I've been assuming that the lack of CD's around was due to remasters being forthcoming. There definitely will be unreleased stuff around, unless they recorded each album in one take (they could do a second disc of the same album, in demo form). They could easily expand Rank as well.

Back
Top Bottom