Sister I'm a...?

I always wondered myself as to why, but my own shyness prevented me from asking it here myself. :p

Which brings me to my theory; I believe Morrissey has always aspired to be a poet and he believes he is a poet based on how he approaches songwriting. The recent "Hot Press" article sort of confirms this when he speaks very evasively about "automatic writing." It is if he is claiming that he is writing in the classical sense of as if to say it is not neccessarily himself writing, but he is being guided by something else. A muse?

Therefore, because of modesty, he avoids calling himself a poet, although doesn't seem to have a problem with others proclaiming this, like Germaine Greer or whoever.

Morrissey is a poet.

Morrissey is a poet.

Well, there you go; Germaine Greer and CrystalGeezer said he's a poet and that's good enough for me. :)

I don't want to be accused of highjacking the thread but does anyone else recall anywhere else in an interview or whatever where he described his songwriting inspiration in this sort of way?

If not, I think this is a noteworthy revelation. Other songwriters, artists have described incidences where they are woken in the middle of the night with a tune or a phrase in their head that they are compelled to get out of bed and either write it down or record it on a tape recorder or something. Where is this coming from?

Is there such a thing as being in such an "altered state" that the mind is open to receive such information from "another place"?

I saw it here maybe? Not sure but I read it somewhere & I found this on a search
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=05/02/09/1633221

"Sisterama" is indeed listed as a Morrissey working title. But whether this is the same song that became "Sister, I'm A Poet", or he just recycled the idea for a different song (as he often does) is not clear.

Anyway, it's an interesting track. This is Morrissey deliberately speeding-up and beefing up his sound after "Viva Hate", with a more Smiths-like kind of track. While "Disappointed" echoed "How Soon Is Now?", "Sister I'm A Poet" has a very "Headmaster Ritual" bass line. The "Sister" in the title could be taken as a reference to "Shakespeare's Sister", suggesting they may be about the same person. While the drab, humdrum town setting evokes a "William..."-style scenerio. So, he certainly seems to be playing around with his Smiths image (of the effette Northern poet) in this song.

"Sisterama" is indeed listed as a Morrissey working title. But whether this is the same song that became "Sister, I'm A Poet", or he just recycled the idea for a different song (as he often does) is not clear.

Anyway, it's an interesting track. This is Morrissey deliberately speeding-up and beefing up his sound after "Viva Hate", with a more Smiths-like kind of track. While "Disappointed" echoed "How Soon Is Now?", "Sister I'm A Poet" has a very "Headmaster Ritual" bass line. The "Sister" in the title could be taken as a reference to "Shakespeare's Sister", suggesting they may be about the same person. While the drab, humdrum town setting evokes a "William..."-style scenerio. So, he certainly seems to be playing around with his Smiths image (of the effette Northern poet) in this song.

Isn't 'Sisterama' just what the song was called on the actual gig setlist sheet? Most bands have pun-type song titles on their setlist sheet - i know i've seen a few of morrisseys and he certainly does. no good examples spring to mind at the minute though.

Isn't 'Sisterama' just what the song was called on the actual gig setlist sheet? Most bands have pun-type song titles on their setlist sheet - i know i've seen a few of morrisseys and he certainly does. no good examples spring to mind at the minute though.

I've seen a list of songs in progress from around Viva Hate and "Sisterama" is on that with "Fast Car, Sharp Curve, Bye Bye", "Lifeguard On Duty", "Safe Warm Lancashire Home", "Treat Me Like A Human Being", et al.

Of course, it has also been listed on the setlist by that name, so presumably this means it was its original working title.

I've seen a list of songs in progress from around Viva Hate and "Sisterama" is on that with "Fast Car, Sharp Curve, Bye Bye", "Lifeguard On Duty", "Safe Warm Lancashire Home", "Treat Me Like A Human Being", et al.

Of course, it has also been listed on the setlist by that name, so presumably this means it was its original working title.

! Do you possibly have this list to show us?? Wow, something truly amazing -- I wrote a song called "Fast Car, Sharp Bend, I Will Love You Always" before I was even into Morrissey! Its still even on my website! Gawsh...that makes me feel special :D

On the setlist I have it's listed as S i'm a P

Sister I'm A...

what? What are you? Why didn't you sing 'Poet' Morrissey? Why not?

Back
Top Bottom