Morrissey Central "Roll On 2023" (December 23, 2022)

Morrissey has voluntarily parted company with Maverick/Quest management. Morrissey has also voluntarily withdrawn from any association with Capitol Records (Los Angeles.)

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Right-on! This is bound to get him what he wants. Thanks for your interesting input
1671825777441.jpeg

Yeah, this could be interesting if Capitol have already paid for the licence and decide to go ahead. They might want to go ahead with a zero-publicity release anyway just to try and make some money back.

It would be ironic if after over a year of trying to get this album released, Morrissey ends up suing Capitol to try to STOP them releasing it. :squiffy:
Given that Capitol is owned by Universal who also own BMG, Mercury and Harvest (I believe), I’d guess that (assuming they do indeed own BOT) they have several options for releasing the new LP, some of which don’t insist on something being done with the recording soon (exclusively included in retrospective box set, or something similar, which would then make re-buying previous releases essential for fans).

Yes, a re-recording might well circumvent the issues I’m perceiving from his words—which seem carefully chosen, particularly when compared to what he said when he left Harvest.
Some of you probably didn’t read my plan

2023 (January )

1. Fire SER
2. Go to France to record with Lillywhite.
3 Forget BOT and prepare a 17 track LP
4 Launch a single campaign April to September ( 6 singles with a cover as Bside - Wedding Present inspired)
5 Release the new LP late October with new artwork and new cover with EMI
6 . Appoint me as a new manager

It's a shame that he Mozzed up his own career, but I think "mediocrity" is a bit harsh.
Dog on a Chain was definitely mediocre, imo. Just not a good Morrissey album in any way. Boring songs that aren't memorable, and it's ridiculously overproduced. I wish he would just strip things back again, instead of trying to sound like The Killers.

The announcement about Morrissey signing with Capitol was made on October 29th, so I make that a total of 55 days before it all collapsed. That's gotta be a new record, right?
I still find it quite curious that not a word from Capitol was ever heard about this deal... nor did he ever appear on their artist's page...

We don’t know what has happened between him and Capitol, and if they both walked away in mutual agreement and M bought, or was given BoT back.

If that’s the case, and while we’re speculating, maybe he’ll re-record those songs with Joe producing.

This long-shot speculation would be the best case scenario. J.C. has his faults, but one thing in his favor is that Morrissey's vocals on records he produces sound terrific. Please, dear God, let Bonfire sound nothing like what the vocals on the Watts-produced Rebels portend.

Dog on a Chain was definitely mediocre, imo. Just not a good Morrissey album in any way. Boring songs that aren't memorable, and it's ridiculously overproduced. I wish he would just strip things back again, instead of trying to sound like The Killers.

It's personal opinion of course... it was always hard for me to determine if Dog was as standout as it seemed to be regarded at the time... or was it because the bar had been set so low with LIHS? I thought it was good but not anything I go back and play now. I guess that goes for most of his releases post-YATQ.

It's personal opinion of course... it was always hard for me to determine if Dog was as standout as it seemed to be regarded at the time... or was it because the bar had been set so low with LIHS? I thought it was good but not anything I go back and play now. I guess that goes for most of his releases post-YATQ.

Ha, see, I actually really like LIHS, especially the first half. Who Will Protect Us From the Police is just a horrible song though. Ganglord is far, far superior, both in terms of the music and the lyrics, when it comes to anti-police songs.

You know Maverick/Quest and Capitol are finding out the same way we are. That said, it’s time for M to really go solo, find a good design firm for the artwork, and self release. No more of this “digital release” nonsense.

As you rightly said, it's personal opinion of course... but I find it difficult to understand why LIHS is so hated by some fans. I simply LOVE it. And I love Dog as well. They aren't my favourites though.

Back
Top Bottom