Morrissey Central "Roll On 2023" (December 23, 2022)

Morrissey has voluntarily parted company with Maverick/Quest management. Morrissey has also voluntarily withdrawn from any association with Capitol Records (Los Angeles.)

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually couldn’t agree more.
Do you think it will mean less profit to him or more from a monetary standpoint?

Possibly more I would think. I spoke to Steve Diggle from Buzzcocks about this about 5 years ago after a gig. We were talking about Spiral Scratch which they self released in the late 70's and then got onto talking about Sleeper who had self released the Modern Age which got to number 1 in the vinyl chart and number 18 in the official chart, he was commenting how well they had done but wondered if they had made much money out of it as they recorded it with Stephen Street.

He said, they (Buzzcocks) make a lot because they self record, self produce and then use EMI for producing the physical product and distribution (I think James do something similar) which took about 30% of the gross profit leaving the band 70% compared to them getting 20% of the profits when they were signed to UA.

Last edited:
There’s nothing in that statement to make me think Morrissey is at liberty to do what he wants with the new LP.
Yeah, this could be interesting if Capitol have already paid for the licence and decide to go ahead. They might want to go ahead with a zero-publicity release anyway just to try and make some money back.

It would be ironic if after over a year of trying to get this album released, Morrissey ends up suing Capitol to try to STOP them releasing it. :squiffy:

Morrissey will never self-release 'Bonfire', in terms of pressing records/CDs etc. 1) He'd have to pay for all the promotion he always demands himself, putting posters on every billboard in the country etc and 2) When it failed to sell/chart he'd have no one to throw under the bus other than himself. He needs a fall guy to take the blame, because nothing is ever his fault.

I do strongly suspect that he might get Sam to just upload the entire album onto YouTube for free in a stroke of petulance though. Even just to spite Capitol if they are still planning on releasing it. Might make a nice Xmas/End of Year freebie?

Yeah, this could be interesting if Capitol have already paid for the licence and decide to go ahead. They might want to go ahead with a zero-publicity release anyway just to try and make some money back.

It would be ironic if after over a year of trying to get this album released, Morrissey ends up suing Capitol to try to STOP them releasing it. :squiffy:

ironic, funny, depressing, and unfortunately not a scenario that could be ruled out in the world of Morrissey.

The announcement about Morrissey signing with Capitol was made on October 29th, so I make that a total of 55 days before it all collapsed. That's gotta be a new record, right?

So, tell me how long
Before the last one?
And tell me how long
Before the right one?

Living in peace is none of Moz's business.

It's War. Always war.

I don't know how he can stand it. It's exhausting.

The announcement about Morrissey signing with Capitol was made on October 29th, so I make that a total of 55 days before it all collapsed. That's gotta be a new record, right?

But there wasn’t a new record. Jokes aside, yes, someone should contact Guinness.

Wait, how long was he even with Maverick/Quest? Because until recently wasn't Peter Katsis his manager? I noticed a while ago that Katsis seemed to be out of the picture because I hadn't heard his name come up in a while, had not any seen any more of his rants trying to do damage control for Moz, so whatever happened between the two of them was quietly swept under the rug? I remember seeing those photos of Guy O as Morrissey's "birthday party," but I don't think I put two and two together and realised that he was being managed by Maverick.

Right-on! This is bound to get him what he wants. Thanks for your interesting input
Merry Christmas, MadPeter...I've got you that 1999 Moz bootleg you asked for. Enjoy! I agree, he is rather good, ain't he?

Moved to off topic by Peter's mate.

Someone should make a laughing spanish guy Risitas video about that. It's would totally fit. "So, Morrissey says he has a deal with Capitol Records, we all think now he is on track, new album, great! - Not two months later: it's off, just off! Aaaaaaaassh"
animal rights GIF

Yes, agree. We don’t know what has happened between him and Capitol, and if they both walked away in mutual agreement and M bought, or was given BoT back.

If that’s the case, and while we’re speculating, maybe he’ll re-record those songs with Joe producing.

The curse of BoT !!!
Yes, a re-recording might well circumvent the issues I’m perceiving from his words—which seem carefully chosen, particularly when compared to what he said when he left Harvest.

He is still appearing on the Maverick/Quest site. They also manage amongst others, Paul McCartney, Shania Twain and David Blaine.

They will do what Reprise did to Southpaw and kill it. It will slip out on Spotify and that will be it

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom