Morrissey Central "Roll On 2023" (December 23, 2022)

Morrissey has voluntarily parted company with Maverick/Quest management. Morrissey has also voluntarily withdrawn from any association with Capitol Records (Los Angeles.)

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Given that Capitol is owned by Universal who also own BMG, Mercury and Harvest (I believe), I’d guess that (assuming they do indeed own BOT) they have several options for releasing the new LP, some of which don’t insist on something being done with the recording soon (exclusively included in retrospective box set, or something similar, which would then make re-buying previous releases essential for fans).
Why would you assume they own BOT? Harvest didn't own World Peace. No way in hell does Morrissey part ways with Capitol knowing they own his material.

Well. Wow! What happened?

It must be even more disappointing for Morrissey, sometimes expected to be Godlike in a godless world, except the 'roll on 2023' title suggests relief and new hope: 'and now you'll be the spark' ✨

As you rightly said, it's personal opinion of course... but I find it difficult to understand why LIHS is so hated by some fans. I simply LOVE it. And I love Dog as well. They aren't my favourites though.
I can see why some don't like LIHS but in regards to Dog it's his best material in ages! Only weak tune is The Secret Of Music and even that one is okay to listen to for it's strangness.

Jim Jim Falls and Once I Saw The River Clean should've been singles. They would've been big hits. Anytime I play it in the car with an unsuspecting passenger they say "Who is this?"

Why would you assume they own BOT? Harvest didn't own World Peace. No way in hell does Morrissey part ways with Capitol knowing they own his material.
Just guessing here but it sounds like Morrissey owns his recordings but grants an exclusive license to a record company to distribute, sell, stream, etc. So if Capitol purchased an exclusive license for BOT what does that mean for Morrissey's ability to self-release (he probably couldn't)? Again, just speculation because we still don't even know what went down.

Just guessing here but it sounds like Morrissey owns his recordings but grants an exclusive license to a record company to distribute, sell, stream, etc. So if Capitol purchased an exclusive license for BOT what does that mean for Morrissey's ability to self-release (he probably couldn't)? Again, just speculation because we still don't even know what went down.

I don’t know if it would apply to this situation, but it appears from the Taylor Swift dispute that the artist owns the composition but not the recording. Morrissey could do something similar: book extra studio time in France, and (especially given the production on Rebels Without Applause), re-record the Bonfire songs alongside the new ones. Self-release both albums back-to-back. That would serve as an impressive recovery from all this madness. Doubtful, of course.

Exactly. Hopefully there's a get-out clause, otherwise if Moz has already licensed the recording to Capitol for 10 years (or whatever it happens to be), and they've paid cash money for it, then they are not going to just let him waltz off and issue those recordings with another label.

I think the best we can hope for is that Capitol ignore him, and just issue a bare-bones release next year. Then at least we'll be able to hear the blessed thing. If he's back shopping for another label we'll be back waiting forever and a day.

I don’t know if it would apply to this situation, but it appears from the Taylor Swift dispute that the artist owns the composition but not the recording. Morrissey could do something similar: book extra studio time in France, and (especially given the production on Rebels Without Applause), re-record the Bonfire songs alongside the new ones. Self-release both albums back-to-back. That would serve as an impressive recovery from all this madness. Doubtful, of course.
This madness as you refer to it is known as the music industry. It never stops.

The idea - we’re stuck with speculation- that BoT is now in the hands of Capitol after this debacle is lamentable. I am hoping the LP can have a life beyond this.

Morrissey may have made a mistake here, but his perception of the lack of promotion isn’t false. Capitol never came out and legitimised the process through official channels.

If self release is possible, it should be swift. 2023 should be the year dedicated to Without Music.

Where are the insiders ready to give their exclusive insight?

I find this news so sad and disappointing. I have really loved the new songs and it`s so sad to hear that this wonderful music won`t be released anytime soon. It`s really too bad with all the awful crap that gets played every day that an awesome Morrissey record just doesn`t even get released.

There is a better world, there is another world.

A sea of possibilities out there.

Here is what Kevin Shields of MBV says about it. He earns more money than before and shifts more units
How was your experience working independently? Did you earn more money?

Yes. We made the mbv album in the most independent way possible; we pay for the recording, the master, the manufacturing, the promotion. It takes us three weeks to manufacture the entire print run, with a company it takes up to three months if you're lucky. We didn't even sign with a distributor, all we did was announce it and put it on the web as a digital download for vinyl buyers, while it was being made: bought on the web and then mailed out. We sold ten thousand copies to a middleman, to be distributed to stores. We sold the records for £12 to middlemen, a reasonably high price, and on the web we sold it for £18.

It cost us two and a half pounds to make it. You have the option to buy it in different formats, wav, mp3 and flac. Then we shared the money equally among the four of us. We did not do any marketing or advertising, we just announced on Facebook that we had posted it on our website. We did a few interviews. When we started the tour in Japan we still didn't have the album cover finished and because we wanted to make sure the cover was the way we wanted it, we had someone come from England to Japan to bring us the proof printing.

Link: ENCOUNTERS My Bloody Valentine, November 4, 2021

Release and move on to the Alain whyte one

@Erik yes it is sad. But a brighter way to look at it is … maybe this will finally wake Morrissey up to the situation and he’ll realize that if he wants things his way then he’ll have to release it himself.

Which would be best for him and his fans from here on out.
True but... what happens when Moz decides Bonfire is high art and needs to be priced accordingly at £200 for the black vinyl, £400 for 'ember red' vinyl, or you can only buy it as a vinyl/CD/Memorex cassette for bundle price of £2500?!!

Good question... even when Central actually manages to convey some useful information... it's only about half of what we want to know. Maybe a closing sentence like this, "Morrissey is now looking into self-releasing BOT early in 2023" or "Morrissey is currently seeking a new record deal" or anything that actually tells us what he's going to do?
You read my mind. His posts are always negative cos he trips over himself in his rush to spread bad news. We have to wait forever for even a hint of good news. I'm slowly starting to not really care one way or the other. I assume the vinyl reissues (Quarry, Ringstink, etc) are thrown on top of the bonfire too.

Morrissey if you ever read these comments please take at least some of them in to account! Release your new work yourself and give the fans what they want. We've kept you here this long and we still have an appetite for the new music!! Releasing a 2 year album next year won't cut it I don't think :(

True but... what happens when Moz decides Bonfire is high art and needs to be priced accordingly at £200 for the black vinyl, £400 for 'ember red' vinyl, or you can only buy it as a vinyl/CD/Memorex cassette for bundle price of £2500?!!

Well, if they’re signed? I don’t think most would have a problem with those prices.

But seriously, if that were the case, then he’s gonna find himself quickly with lots of unsold records. M’s crazy, but not that crazy.

Honestly at this point, he should just have Sam leak it, and say Merry Christmas! to his fans. And be done with it.

As you rightly said, it's personal opinion of course... but I find it difficult to understand why LIHS is so hated by some fans. I simply LOVE it. And I love Dog as well. They aren't my favourites though.
Low is a very good record. It is powerful from track 1 to track 7, Morrissey at his best. From track 8 on it is weaker but still pleasant. Overall production is Top. The Israel subject is redundant, though.

Last edited:
Sounds like he got dropped, and he deserved to be. Capitol would never confirm they were working with him so maybe they weren't.
I am confused as to what exactly he thinks the publicity he 'deserves' looks like. Is it what Sam and Fiona do for him? If I were his management and record company, I would be furious with his antics of late.
He is a whiny little bitch.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom