Morrissey's vocals have noticeably improved on this tour?

alex

Having seen Morrissey at hawick and grimsby laste night, it struck me how M's vocals are much stronger, almost more disciplined to avoid note-bumming (no pun intended). All in all I am enjoying this tour a lot more than previous ones up to and including the Ringleader tour.

I agree with you completely - although I haven't had the privilege of seeing him live yet, watching the Glastonbury performance in its entirety on youtube definitely showed me that his voice has grown stronger since the Refusal/Swords tours. He's hitting notes and sustaining them effortlessly as if he were recording the songs in studio, and that's quite exciting :) The only trouble is that that old faltering from two years ago was still present in the Maida Vale recordings, but it appears that Moz has since warmed up. Fingers crossed for no ailments on this tour.

Particularly in Bradford I thought, but there i was in the gods not on the floor there perhaps more obvious for that.

i agree,i saw the 5 scottish gigs and i think he sounds and looks amazing,i thought that 1 maybe 2 gigs would be cancelled but they weren't.i am missing him already

On a slight tangent - having seen four dates on this tour so far there hasn't been one hint of a 'sound problem' with Morrissey at any of them (power cuts excepted!). Every previous tour I've experienced you could tell if things were going wrong at any show when Moz started shaking his mic, or moving back and forth around the stage trying to find a 'safe' vocal spot, or generally just expressing disgruntlement with the sound from his vocal monitor. I always figured this was 30% technical, 70% psychological ~ ie - he was pissed off about something else and was just having a shit gig. This is the first tour I've seen in 20 years where there hasn't been one technical wobble. Maybe he just got a better sound guy, or a better shrink/pills...
Oh but yes, I do agree ~ best voice he's had in all the years I've seen him live :)

Haven't seen him on this tour but I can't remember him delivering anything in recent times quite as outstanding vocally as I want the one I can't have at Glasto.

There is something about his phrasing or maybe the tempo of the songs that is bringing out this incredible rich sound..I noticed the crowd singing a line ahead while Moz frowned and carried on regardless.

I agree, I watched the Glastonbury gig on T.V. And was there in York.His singing is stronger than ever and no missed notes or anything.Maybe the year off has done him the power of good.Here's to the rest of the tour continuing in the same way!

There is something about his phrasing or maybe the tempo of the songs that is bringing out this incredible rich sound..I noticed the crowd singing a line ahead while Moz frowned and carried on regardless.

If think you are spot on here - there were a few times at York and Bradford where the crowd sang along at normal tempo, but Morrissey took a pause and delayed the next line - I think it really suits his voice and puts new emphasis on some old classics

Edit - listen to I Know It's Over from the York bootleg - slowed down tempo, crowd out of time, Morrissey's voice is just divine.

Dave

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been listening nonstop to EirasMoon's Glasto boot; the vocals are incredible. Not only does his actual voice sound exceptionally strong but he truly sounds emotionally invested in the songs again. Hasn't been that way since at least the Quarry tour and more likely Oye Esteban or 2002.

I'd noticed too in what has been heard. it's probably a combination of things, like people said having some time off, slowing things down. I wonder if his stationary position at the mic has helped too. Some people noted it in gig reviews and it was evident in the glasto videos, he is spending a lot more time standing at the mic stand which probably helps him get better control. Even though he'd not exactly done Gaga dance moves with a mic whilst singing in the past, concentrating on his breathing and such is probably a lot easier when stationary.

Back
Top Bottom