List of Own Albums Morrissey's Most Proud Of

His top ten, in Morrissey's world, is here - http://www.true-to-you.net/ - with pictures!

OF WHICH I AM MOST PROUD
List from Morrissey

1 Years of refusal (2009) #3 UK, #11 US
2 Ringleader of the tormentors (2006) #1 UK, #27 US
3 You are the quarry (2004) #2 UK, #11 US
4 Vauxhall and I (1994) #1 UK, #18 US
5 Strangeways, here we come (1987) #2 UK, #55 US
6 Rank (1988) #2 UK, #77 US
7 Louder than bombs (1987) #38 UK, #62 US
8 Bona drag (1990) #9 UK, #59 US
9 Southpaw grammar (1995) #4 UK, #66 US
10 Your arsenal (1992) #4 UK, #21 US

Last edited by a moderator:
My favourite Moz album; the little known 'Is that you, Nancy?'.

A collation of Morrissey's phone messages from the wilderness years.

What are you all wittering on about?

Morrissey said these are the albums he is most proud of, not what he considers to be the definitive best like most of you have misunderstood, or most likely, misread, and are subsequently soiling yourselves over the differences in your lists.

He may be proud of the albums for many reasons other than the contents - for instance the first 3 of his list being the albums that returned him to success and glory. And pride is something we can't dictate for other people, quite like musical taste (albeit you wouldn't believe it reading some of the nutty comments above.)

Au revoir.

Can you believe he is most proud of the last three? Those are the weakest in terms of music and lyrics. His other seven selections are agreeable.

Agreed.. completely boring..I actually thought 'Arsenal" was the best besides self titled, then Kill Uncle...man.

it's one thing to put Years Of Refusal at the top of the list- it's his most recent/last, so sure- but to follow it up with Ringleader Of The Tormentors and You Are The Quarry is pretty laughable- this is Morrissey trying to convince himself of something- that he's still relevant.

Rank?

Bona Drag? to me, Bona Drag is symbolic of a failure- an album that should've/could've been if not for silly in-fighting.

Louder Than Bombs? as a collection, compared to the albums-proper? idon't know.

no The Queen Is Dead? no Meat Is Murder? no Viva Hate? no The Smiths?

iwould've expected something like this:

Years Of Refusal
Vauxhall And I
Strangeways, Here We Come
The Queen Is Dead
Your Arsenal
Meat Is Murder
You Are The Quarry
Viva Hate
The Smiths
Southpaw Grammar

Last edited:
i couldn't agree more with his top three choices -- i think they're his best solo releases, actually.

Here's my list, and I am fully aware most of you will laugh at what's on top:

1. Ringleader Of The Tormentors
2. The Queen Is Dead
3. Strangeways, Here We Come
4. Bona Drag
5. Louder Than Bombs
6. Meat Is Murder
7. Your Arsenal
8. The Smiths
9. Years Of Refusal
10. You Are The Quarry

Frankly, I'm quite shocked that Ringleader has been so marginalized by Morrissey's fanbase. It has (in my opinion) his most consistent collection of songs (as much as I love all of his albums, each have their fair share of weak tracks, Smiths included) and the best production value by far. My personal favorites are The Father Who Must Be Killed, The Youngest Was The Most Loved, and To Me You Are A Work Of Art. And while it does not have a single track as strong as First Of The Gang To Die, it is a vastly superior effort to You Are The Quarry, with its terrible fake strings, etc. Ringleader is his only album other than The Queen Is Dead where I can listen to the entire thing without skipping any songs. Strangeways would be perfect (and superior to TQID) if not for the terrible Paint A Vulgar Picture. Also, I know I'm going to be drawn and quartered for this, but I find Vauxhall & I TERRIBLY dull. If not for its masterful closing track Speedway, I'd never listen to any of it.

I love that he loves Southpaw Grammar enough to include it in his top 10.

Perhaps Moz is thinking of personal times working on the albums?In my opinion 'Your Arsenal" is #1. I listen to this album every day. Oh well I constantly change up my favourite smiths and Moz songs so he might too.He ought to be proud of all of it though.

Most proud of the three most-recent, a live disc, and three compilations?
Daft.

ilike ROTT, but iwouldnt hav guessed it to stand prominently in a list of "most proud of." imuch prefer it to YATQ, but YATQ was the big comeback, so ithink that would swell Moz with more pride. obviously his best solo albums proper are VH , YA and VAI- iwould include KU and stretch to add SG as well and feel confident in saying that this period holds up equally to The Smiths. Maladjusted was a first real misstep, but still had some gorgeous songs (and b-sides) and then he really starts to lose it on YATQ- the last 3 are not terrible, but they are decidedly inferior to what came before.

Why dont you play songs from the lp Years of refusal yes to me but not in Mexico city. Does it not fit?

It will take some time for his new work to be appreciated. I've listened to countless Morrissey/The Smiths songs and disliked them at first. Then upon listening to them over and over, realize how great they are. There are many songs on these albums that are as good as Still Ill or There is a Light such as To Me You Are a Work of Art, Life is a Pigsty, Come Back to Camden, It's Not Your Birthday Anymore. Even B-Sides such as My Dearest Love are up there. We have had the opportunity to listen to our favorite Morrissey songs hundreds and thousands of times. Listen to his new songs that many times then compare.

"I've listened to countless Morrissey/The Smiths songs and disliked them at first. Then upon listening to them over and over, realize how great they are."

Dear son,

The genealogy of Experience is brief; for Experience is the child of Thought, and Thought is the child of Action.
That's why, Action Is My Middle Name!
Indeed,

we'll let you know

It will take some time for his new work to be appreciated. I've listened to countless Morrissey/The Smiths songs and disliked them at first. Then upon listening to them over and over, realize how great they are. There are many songs on these albums that are as good as Still Ill or There is a Light such as To Me You Are a Work of Art, Life is a Pigsty, Come Back to Camden, It's Not Your Birthday Anymore. Even B-Sides such as My Dearest Love are up there. We have had the opportunity to listen to our favorite Morrissey songs hundreds and thousands of times. Listen to his new songs that many times then compare.

Thats the strange thing about Morrissey And i was A Smiths fan in the eighties, i never disliked them at first, some songs are bigger then others... That is the reason why kit not saw the light (at first)

He should be embarrassed by the three most recent releases--all are mediocre at best when compared to the past.

My list:

1. Viva Hate
2. Strangeways, Here We Come
3. Vauxhall and I
4. Your Arsenal
5. Kill Uncle
6. Rank!
7. Louder Than Bombs
8. Bona Drag
9. Hatful of Hollow
10. The Queen is Dead

Yes!! Viva hate is my 1st

Love this debate! Moz can pick whatever he wants, he has the right.But the first Morrissey album I ever heard was You Are The Quarry, and the first Smiths album I ever heard (although a compilation) was Louder Than Bombs, so this is my list:
  1. You Are The Quarry
  2. Louder Than Bombs
  3. The Smiths
  4. Bona Drag
  5. Strangeways, Here We Come
  6. Viva Hate
  7. Meat is Murder
  8. Your Arsenal
  9. The Queen Is Dead
  10. Vauxhall and I

Back
Top Bottom