List of Own Albums Morrissey's Most Proud Of

His top ten, in Morrissey's world, is here - http://www.true-to-you.net/ - with pictures!

OF WHICH I AM MOST PROUD
List from Morrissey

1 Years of refusal (2009) #3 UK, #11 US
2 Ringleader of the tormentors (2006) #1 UK, #27 US
3 You are the quarry (2004) #2 UK, #11 US
4 Vauxhall and I (1994) #1 UK, #18 US
5 Strangeways, here we come (1987) #2 UK, #55 US
6 Rank (1988) #2 UK, #77 US
7 Louder than bombs (1987) #38 UK, #62 US
8 Bona drag (1990) #9 UK, #59 US
9 Southpaw grammar (1995) #4 UK, #66 US
10 Your arsenal (1992) #4 UK, #21 US

Last edited by a moderator:
Well sometimes I think Morrissey is tone deaf or dellusional, It is a matter of personal tastes though, YOR was Loud & predictable, Tormentors nearly a classic could have done with the full orchestra arrangements and cut back with album fillers. Quarry still sounds fresh 7 years on testament to Moz & Whytes songwriting skills.

The queen is dead
Meat is murder
The world won't listen
Viva hate
Strangways
Vauxhall and I
Maladjusted
Hat full of hollow
Bona drag
World of Morrissey

"1 Years of refusal (2009) #3 UK, #11 US"

Dear sons,

Since day 1, since first migration of DT electronic barbed-wire border, I'm telling you this simple fact!
Stay tuned, because

we'll let you know

You make a valid point about how artists view their work differently compared to their audiences. It seems as though there are two types of fans who have voiced their thoughts here. First, the fan who prefers the music from the early years--which I am one of. My reasoning may have to do with how that music touched me as I grew up. Now that I am older, I don't feel the same connection to his recent work. Second, the fan who prefers his more recent material. Perhaps, these fans feel a connection that I do not. Either way, the negativity and bashing here is somewhat comical and sad--possible.

Part of the negativity does come from how Morrissey treats his fans--especially those who have been affected by a sudden cancellation. He could do something as simple and as caring as issue a statement. I don't think this is asking too much.

Good Day,

We'll Let You Know

Another fake post!

we'll let you know

Paul McCartney reveals the albums "of which he i most proud"... 1 Pipes Of Peace 2 Give My Regards To Broad Street 3 Wings At The Speed Of Sound 4 Flowers In The Dirt 5 Flaming Pie 6 Kisses On The Bottom 7 Red Rose Speedway 8 Yellow Submarine 9 Tug Of War 10 Abbey Road

Paul McCartney reveals the albums "of which he i most proud"... 1 Pipes Of Peace 2 Give My Regards To Broad Street 3 Wings At The Speed Of Sound 4 Flowers In The Dirt 5 Flaming Pie 6 Kisses On The Bottom 7 Red Rose Speedway 8 Yellow Submarine 9 Tug Of War 10 Abbey Road

cool let's go on with Madonna or Bruce Sprinsteen, or the Rolling Stones , who are way better
and influential than the Beatles...

wonder what Morrissey should choose, Beatles or the Rolling Stones

:thumb:
[under my thumb:lbf:]

Are you a friend to Morrissey? Then please friends, do realize the last 3 records are brilliant and lyrically wonderful and up to the minute called life! Open honesty and a contrite heart for the world, for our 4 legged friends, for us! "The Farher Who Must Be Killed", how true in many cases. "America Is Not the World", how we wish it was so. And... when you want to cut and shread, "All You Need Is Me."
Morrissey never left us and he's still here.... Writting, performing , what more can be expected? You wonder why no new record deal? Because Morrissey won't, "sell-out"!
True - to You , Morrissey is.... Good night and.. Thank you.

Tormentors nearly a classic could have done with the full orchestra arrangements and cut back with album fillers.

True. Ringleader of the Tormentors is the ONE album in Morrissey's catalog that DESPERATELY needs remastering. It's too dull and muddy and there's virtually no dynamics at all in the mix. The fact that a recent Morrissey album sounds worse than the original 1991 Kill Uncle CD is appalling.

:thumb:
[under my thumb:lbf:]

What the fook was funny about that, you little bollocks?

You're a lemon. And stop mouthing off about being celibate - just cos you've the genitals of a dung beetle and no woman nor man would go near you.

Troll post

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly the most ludicrous comment ever posted on here (and that's saying something!). So you really think an artist should perceive his/her work in exactly the same way as an admirer? Utter nonsense. History is full of poets, authors and fine artists alike who have dismissed the interpretation and admiration of their work by critics and readers alike. By sheer definition an artist is not the same thing as a fan. That's not being delusional, it's just an entirely different perspective originating from an entirely different impetus. But hey, good to see the retards on this site are never missing an opportunity to knock Morrissey. Why do you come here?

Oh, and as for your remark about what true fans consider the best work, well I'm afraid you don't speak for me: personally I think Viva Hate is the weakest album Morrisey has ever put out. But then that's the whole point of art - it's about individual subjective responses, not objective facts, lists and statistics.

I posted it and its true.

You can say what you want, but if you ask a thosand people to listen to "years" then play them "Viva" my guess is the 998 will say Viva is a stronger record. Also My guess is you could do that for all his other releases as well and "Year" would almost alway come in last.

Here the probelm with you theory. Morrissey is suppose to be a lyrical poet, which i beleive he was. Take the lyrics from any song on "years" and you will find may one of two clever poet verses. Most of the time in the new stuff it will be repeated ver as over as well. On almost all new songs, morrissey seems to be content with writing a few good lines then just saying them over and over and over again. If you call that poetic, you need some help.

Now go back to Viva or Strangeway or Vauxhall and you see well thought out poetic verse abound. Take Maudin Street of Viva. That whole song probably has more verse then the entire Years album and all are more clever and poetic.

People may like the newer albums which have their moments, but every song Viva Hate and before was a moment. They are all masterpeices of poetic genius. ohh include Vuaxhall in there as well.

Morrissey as a person can like whatever he chooses but untimitely its the fans opinion that matters since they will be the one buying the music. Morrissey needs to grow up and start writing full songs again instead of the crap that he puts out now. Its ironic because Morrissey's new music is the "crashing Bores" that he talks about.

yes why are anonymous people posting lists when the only list of interest and worth discussion is morrisseys?

So if they post some made up internet moniker the list somehow is better? You don't know them either way. They are useful becuase you see the overall majority opinion of fans.

I posted it and its true.

You can say what you want, but if you ask a thosand people to listen to "years" then play them "Viva" my guess is the 998 will say Viva is a stronger record. Also My guess is you could do that for all his other releases as well and "Year" would almost alway come in last.

Here the probelm with you theory. Morrissey is suppose to be a lyrical poet, which i beleive he was. Take the lyrics from any song on "years" and you will find may one of two clever poet verses. Most of the time in the new stuff it will be repeated ver as over as well. On almost all new songs, morrissey seems to be content with writing a few good lines then just saying them over and over and over again. If you call that poetic, you need some help.

Now go back to Viva or Strangeway or Vauxhall and you see well thought out poetic verse abound. Take Maudin Street of Viva. That whole song probably has more verse then the entire Years album and all are more clever and poetic.

People may like the newer albums which have their moments, but every song Viva Hate and before was a moment. They are all masterpeices of poetic genius. ohh include Vuaxhall in there as well.

Morrissey as a person can like whatever he chooses but untimitely its the fans opinion that matters since they will be the one buying the music. Morrissey needs to grow up and start writing full songs again instead of the crap that he puts out now. Its ironic because Morrissey's new music is the "crashing Bores" that he talks about.

you're totally right about most of his recent 'lyrical' output being a few lines repeated over and over. is it laziness? he actually cant be bothered writing enough words to fill a whole song? or lacking inspiration? viva hate was indeed a lyrical masterpiece because it had songs that actually said something in a thoughtful way. when you listen to these quick rushed and repetitive lyrics of today ... dont you feel cheated?

So if they post some made up internet moniker the list somehow is better? You don't know them either way. They are useful becuase you see the overall majority opinion of fans.

my cats list:

the queen is dead
meat is murder (but she doesnt like the title track)
smiths
strangeways here we come
louder than bombs
viva hate
vauxhall and i
hatfull of hollow
bona drag

ok she cant count

As the creator/co-creator of the music he's clearly, above any of us, in a unique position to rank the work. As odd a list as it is (Hmmm... wasn't 'Hand in Glove" once, to him, the "most important song ever written"??) if those 10 records make him the happiest so be it. But, does this mean he plays songs such as 'Still Ill' and 'I Want the One I Can't Have (songs not on records from his list) live purely for the audience?

Anyway, I'll join the ranks with my top ten list (which does not include any live work, but does include the "non-albums" Hatful of Hollow, Louder Than Bombs, and Bona Drag. Lastly, for anyone that cares. my "- - - - - " breaks the list into three groups of quality, as per my personal taste of course ;)

1. Hatful of Hollow
2. The Smiths
3. Meat is Murder
4. The Queen is Dead
5. Strangeways Here We Come
6. Louder Than Bombs
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
7. Viva Hate 8.
Bona Drag
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
9. Kill Uncle 10. Your Arsenal

Hey! Here's my opinion of his top 10, and I think it's pretty slick:

1. Meat Is Murder (best track - Well I wonder/Barbarism)
2. Vauxhall and I (best track - Why Don't You Find..)
3. Hatful of Hollow (best track - This Night Has Opened/too many to mention)
4. Ringleader of the Tormentors (To Me You Are/Pigsty)
5. The Queen is Dead (best track - There is a Light)
6. Your Arsenal (best track - Seasick....)
7. Years of Refusal (best track - Mama Lay....)
8. The World Won't Listen (best track - Rubber/Stretch Out)
9. Viva Hate (best track - Little Man...)
10. Strangeways Here We Come (best track - Paint Vulgar)

Meat is Murder is the best album he's contributed to, hands down. Song for song there is no better album for the Mozzer. Vauxhall is marvelous, the first album I ever owned by him and it still sounds amazing. Hatful of Hollow is the best piece of early Smiths music you'll find, and the recording quality is brilliant, even if they're mostly radio cuts. Hatful really shows their brilliance.

Regarding the exclusions:

I've been very impressed with his most recent solo releases too, albeit I find Quarry to be slow and a HUGE bore, though it's much better than Maladjusted. I REALLY like Southpaw, but the first side of Viva beats the former entirely (though Best Friend... and the title track are GEMS). No Bona (though Piccadilly is one of my all time faves) and no Uncle (thankfully). The Smiths L.P. had very thin production and I wasn't a fan of all the songs. Hit me back if you want. - Walt

Viva Hate would be near the bottom of my list. I prefer the singles between Viva Hate and Kill Uncle, esp. Ouija Board (yes, I'm the one). My #1, though, would be Your Arsenal.

How about a worst list ?Worst releases/Morrissey moments1. Ringleader Of The Tormentors2. Southpaw Grammer 3. Kill Uncle - loved Morrissey in 1991, great tour.... But Found, Found, Found is a lowlight of his career...4. The 2010 re-presented version of "Ouija Board" with my favorite verse inexplicably hacked out ("...it spells S-T-E-V-E-N")5. The video for "November Spawned a Monster". With his recent behavior and my being affected by multiple concert cancellations, I feel extremely embarrassed for him - very hard to watch in December 2011.6. Cover art for the original "Maladjusted" record. Clothes bought from J. Crew Autumn 1997 catalogue, page 19. 7. The fake boxing make-up... With the fake cuts and bruises. If the record were good, it would be forgivable. It isn't. 8. The remix of "When I Last Spoke to Carol"9. His idea of what the tracks should be on "The Very Best of"10. Dropping two tracks from Maladjusted re-issue that would have fit....I went pretty easy on him, actually.

You bunch of useless, hateful (towards Moz that is) twats, c***s and wankers. Had I seen any of you in the street I would have gladly picked up nearest rock and planted it permanently in yer mouth. I would've found it quite sad had he regarded his really old stuff as his very best. My list (obviously the ten I like the most, nothing else, nothing to do with pride. His nor mine): 1. The Queen is Dead 2. Vauxhall and I 3. Hatful of Hollow 4. Meat is Murder 5. Maladjusted 6. The Smiths 7. Bona Drag 8. You are the Quarry 9. The World Won't Listen 10. My Early Burglary Years

You' re so correct. Viva Hate was the absolute highlight in many ways. My all-time favourite as well ...

You bunch of useless, hateful (towards Moz that is) twats, c***s and wankers. Had I seen any of you in the street I would have gladly picked up nearest rock and planted it permanently in yer mouth. I would've found it quite sad had he regarded his really old stuff as his very best. My list (obviously the ten I like the most, nothing else, nothing to do with pride. His nor mine): 1. The Queen is Dead 2. Vauxhall and I 3. Hatful of Hollow 4. Meat is Murder 5. Maladjusted 6. The Smiths 7. Bona Drag 8. You are the Quarry 9. The World Won't Listen 10. My Early Burglary Years
Happy new year,pal

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom