4) That's how people grow up (2008) #14 UK
5) Panic (1986) #11 UK
6) Girlfriend in a coma (1987) #13 UK
7) Let me kiss you (2004) #8 UK
8) Everyday is like sunday (1988) #9 1988, #42 2010 UK
9) You have killed me (2006) #3 UK
10) All you need is me (2008) #24 UK

Last edited by a moderator:
it's really is beginning to feel like the end. is moz going to revise these 'most proud' lists everytime he releases a new single and/or album... placing his latest at the top? well, it is morrissey, so nothing surprises me at this point. still, i think this really might be it.

so now what?

If he doesn't do anything more, he has a fantastic body of work (which affected all posters here, I suspect).

There was a life before "You are a quarry" you know. I'm no longer excited about autobiography
he's writing. This has become painful to watch.

i agree his career is entering its twilight phase and maybe he is having difficulty with that and trying to convince himself everything is ok. his list is of course quite mad. all you need is me, and people grow up are two of his worst songs ever, in fact two of the worst songs ive ever heard from anyone. lyrically lacking any depth or wit an the 'music' is just dirge.. people are the same.. is probably the only worse song ive heard from him, utter utter garbage and the young man who wrote 'hand in glove' would probably agree. marr or street reunion is the only thing that can save his career now. he needs someone who can tell him when he's writing crap, rather than the hired session hands he has now. it is painful to watch and listen to.

i agree his career is entering its twilight phase and maybe he is having difficulty with that and trying to convince himself everything is ok. his list is of course quite mad. all you need is me, and people grow up are two of his worst songs ever, in fact two of the worst songs ive ever heard from anyone. lyrically lacking any depth or wit an the 'music' is just dirge.. people are the same.. is probably the only worse song ive heard from him, utter utter garbage and the young man who wrote 'hand in glove' would probably agree. marr or street reunion is the only thing that can save his career now. he needs someone who can tell him when he's writing crap, rather than the hired session hands he has now. it is painful to watch and listen to.

And hopefully he's pissing himself laughing at all of you for rising to the bait as he probably knew you would. You have more affection for your morning bowel evacuation than you do for Morrissey.

1. The Operation
2. At Amber
3. The Kid's a Looker
4. Work Is a Four Letter Word
5. Journalists Who Lie
6. At Last I Am Born
7. Sorrow Will Come In The End
8. The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye
9. America is Not the World
10. Death at One's Elbow

I agree with all of these on Morrissey's list. I especially love That's how people grow up because I listen to it all the time. It is one of my ultimate favourites. And Morrissey is in My Life. And We Are The Same.

and you are a moron :)

A sure sign of his dissociation with reality. Denying the genius of his earlier work for the subpar, tuneless crap of later years. Completely ridiculous. Old fools and their stubborn ways.

A sure sign of his dissociation with reality. Denying the genius of his earlier work for the subpar, tuneless crap of later years. Completely ridiculous. Old fools and their stubborn ways.
Be fair! All he is saying is that he likes his current work. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way. If his list was dominated by past work, would this not indicate that he felt that he had jumped the shark and was merely treading water until retirement?
I'm pleased he likes his current songs, he is a current artist and still producing great stuff!

Quite the contrary. We like this list a lot. And Morrissey is actually just polishing up some up newer lyrics for his new cd,on the internet, in the bed,with me.

Again, Morrissey deep down must know that this list and his list of albums are both indicative of his lack of desire to accept that his earlier solo material and his Smiths output are his best pieces of work.

As a poster above stated--that he is probably laughing at the responses here--I doubt it. Clearly, he visits this site, and it is almost certain that he has been reading the reactions. Morrissey lives for controversy or having his name in the public light.

Of course he is an artist, and he has his own views of what he is most proud of--and that is fine. The postings here indicate that many of his fans strongly believe that his recent material is subpar at best. His recent lyrics are not as thoroughly intricate as his earlier work. Many of the songs are just quick one or two liners that ultimately get repeated over and over again. This says a lot--lack of inspiration, laziness, or even the well has run dry?

Compare the lyrics of Maudlin Street, Hand That Rocks the Cradle, Suedehead, Sunday, to All You Need Is Me, Ganglord, Dykes, and the list goes on. The inspiration and creativity were clearly there.

Just my two cents...about all his latest work is worth.

God this site is awful, full of c***s, too much negativity, nostalgia mungering, if his latest albums featured marr rourke and joyce, youd lap it up. If morrissey had written mama lay softly on the riverbed with the smiths youd talk about how amazing the lyrics are, his work now and...then is far more superior and has been than the majority of artists knocking about, the majority of you on here dont write songs (and if yoi do, stop now they are probably shit) so why hes picked them as his favourites is down to him, he's not picking YOUR favourite songs is he?!

First Of The Gang is a little too close to Suede's Trash for #1 proud single IMO.

God this site is awful, full of c***s, too much negativity, nostalgia mungering, if his latest albums featured marr rourke and joyce, youd lap it up. If morrissey had written mama lay softly on the riverbed with the smiths youd talk about how amazing the lyrics are, his work now and...then is far more superior and has been than the majority of artists knocking about, the majority of you on here dont write songs (and if yoi do, stop now they are probably shit) so why hes picked them as his favourites is down to him, he's not picking YOUR favourite songs is he?!

Actually, he is.Because I am him,and he is me.Thing is, we are the same.

1. The Operation
2. At Amber
3. The Kid's a Looker
4. Work Is a Four Letter Word
5. Journalists Who Lie
6. At Last I Am Born
7. Sorrow Will Come In The End
8. The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye
9. America is Not the World
10. Death at One's Elbow

Dear son,

Your list is pure pop love affaire, thank you very much:

1. The Operation-perfect balance between pop and cultish boxer mystique
2. At Amber-years flows, but, had lost none of its majesty
3. The Kid's a Looker-fantastic JB charade
4. Work Is a Four Letter Word-romantic, heroic, pretentious: beautiful
5. Journalists Who Lie-accurately
6. At Last I Am Born-extraordinary experience, masterpiece
7. Sorrow Will Come In The End-strong vendeta
8. The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye-Morrissey is True nuanced pop observer
9. America is Not the World-poetic, atmospheric
10. Death at One's Elbow -subtle grandeur
Indeed,

we'll let you know

1. Bigmouth Strikes Again
2. This Charming Man
3. Suedehead
4. Girlfriend In A Coma
5. First Of The Gang To Die
6. Hand In Glove
7. Ask
8. The National Front Disco
9. Irish Blood, English Heart
10. Panic

The list of singles releases of which he should have been most proud...
(just an opinion)

1. "WILLIAM, IT WAS REALLY NOTHING" - 12" Single.
B-sides: "How Soon is Now?" and "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want"

Is there a finer 12" single on the planet? WAIT, HOW SOON IS NOW is the B-side? You all know the story. Amazing.

2. "EVERYDAY IS LIKE SUNDAY" - 12" single
B-Sides: "Sister, I'm a Poet", "Will Never Marry" (long version) and "Disappointed"

The legendary original artwork, not the re-issue.

3. "BIGMOUTH STRIKES AGAIN" - 12" single
B-sides: "Unloveable" and "Money Changes Everything"

Fantastic single. Legendary b-side in "Unloveable"
Discovering the etching in 1986 "Talent Borrows, Genius Steals"

4. "THE BOY WITH THE THORN IN HIS SIDE" - 12" single
B-Sides: "Asleep" and "Rubber Ring"

Signified a marked change in style for The Smiths; was a first glimpse into what was to come with "The Queen Is Dead"

5. "CERTAIN PEOPLE I KNOW"
B-Sides: "Jack The Ripper" (studio) and "You've Had Her"

The wonderful "Your Arsenal" period with the splendid B-side being the studio version of "Jack The Ripper"

6. "THE MORE YOU IGNORE ME, THE CLOSER I GET" 12" single/CD Single
B-Sides: "I'd Love To" and "Used To Be A Sweet Boy"

Fantastic single. "Your Arsenal" was the first time he wasn't trying to sound like The Smiths. This was yet another direction with "Vauxhall and I" where he sounded different from Your Arsenal but also again no longer like The Smiths. One of the best periods of his solo career.

7. "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?" - 12" single
B-Sides: "Back to The Old House", "These Things Take Time"

Great single, but also legendary sleeves. The original Terence Stamp sleeve and the latter Morrissey sleeve...

8. "SUEDEHEAD" - 12" single
B-sides: "I Know Very Well How I Got My Name", "Oh Well, I'll Never Learn", and "Hairdresser on Fire"

The world was unsure if he could carry on after The Smiths. Fantasic lead single... and promo video...

9. "THIS CHARMING MAN" - 12" single
B-Sides: "Jeane" and "Wonderful Woman"

Fantastic, legendary single.. and prior to re-issues in early 90s, the most sought-after b-sides... before the re-issues, before the Internet... etc.

10. "MORRISSEY AT KROQ" - E.P./CD Single
Songs sung live in the radio station studios in Hollywood, CA

"There Is A Place In Hell for Me and My Friends" (first recording of the fast version)
"My Love Life" (I actually really prefer this to the proper studio version)
"Sing Your Life"
Hidden: Nerdy fans from the greater Los Angeles area called in and declared their love or creepy obsession with Morrissey.

I'm not trying to be different with # 10, but growing up in California, this wasn't at all hard to find. It was a proper e.p. release and I had no idea that the U.K. didn't have it there at the time. It's really, really great.

great list.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom