List of Own Albums Morrissey's Most Proud Of

His top ten, in Morrissey's world, is here - http://www.true-to-you.net/ - with pictures!

OF WHICH I AM MOST PROUD
List from Morrissey

1 Years of refusal (2009) #3 UK, #11 US
2 Ringleader of the tormentors (2006) #1 UK, #27 US
3 You are the quarry (2004) #2 UK, #11 US
4 Vauxhall and I (1994) #1 UK, #18 US
5 Strangeways, here we come (1987) #2 UK, #55 US
6 Rank (1988) #2 UK, #77 US
7 Louder than bombs (1987) #38 UK, #62 US
8 Bona drag (1990) #9 UK, #59 US
9 Southpaw grammar (1995) #4 UK, #66 US
10 Your arsenal (1992) #4 UK, #21 US

Last edited by a moderator:
My list:
1. Maladjusted
2. Swords
3. Southpaw Grammar
4. Years Of Refusal
5. Ringleader of the Tormentors
6. Live At Earl's Court
7. Vauxhall And I
8. Meat Is Murder

mine:
1. Strangeways, Here We Come 2. Vauxhall & I 3. Southpaw Grammar 4. Louder Than Bombs 5. The Smiths 6. Viva Hate 7. Your Arsenal 8. Bona Drag 9. The Queen Is Dead 10. Maladjusted

It's very tough but if I were to picke one, it would have to be the Very best of Morrissey

Years of Denial more like. If he seriously thinks that's the best thing he's ever done he's lost the plot. Oh...

I think the last three were great records and anytime you try to rank your favorites it fails miserably. But, I can't personally understand why The Smiths self-titled lp isn't in his top 10. You can't really explain how magical the first record is using any words. And not because it's the first.

[Yeah I don't understand him not working with Stephen Street again, but I'm sure it must be a strong desire not to go backwards. But next to Marr I think his partnership with Street was definitely the second best partnership of his career, musically.

But, I have to agree with the posters above about the excellence of Viva Hate as a solo album.
An extraordinary album, especially so soon after The Smiths demise.
Why Morrissey doesn't work with Stephen Street again; I'll never know.[/QUOTE]

My favorites are:
1. YOR
2. YATQ
3. Maladjusted
4. ROTT
5. Swords
6. Very Best of Morrissey
What else was I listening to when I first met you?
Where's Maladjusted?

ed to inform Morrissey of his 310 awards that he has won in addition to his previous awards and we await how to present him with his awards and he should be proud of the achievement.

Sorta funny that he lists a live album and two compilations, since this site didn't allow people to select Bona Drag when mentioning their favorite Moz album a few years back. He's obviously being contrarian and mentioning albums he thinks are overlooked, like Southpaw Grammer and Strangeways (what, no Malajusted?). All artists mention their most recent material as their best. The ego required to create such great art doesn't allow for true neutrality in judging their own output. It's human nature to want to think that we're getting better with age, even if we've peaked creatively a long time ago. I wish he'd get a new producer and shake things up a little bit. On an unrelated note, I would love to see him to a proper covers album, not just release a CD of songs that influenced him. Might help him broaden his appeal to a wider audience if he were to go the Johnny Cash "Hurt" route...

'Today, like every other day, we wake up emptyand frightened. Don't open the door to the studyand begin reading. Take down a musical instrument.Let the beauty we love be what we do.There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. ' - RumiHAPPY NEW YEAR!

Wow, Morrissey has completely different taste in Morrissey (and Smiths) music than I do.

Allow me to propose some well founded theories:

Morrissey is a credit and glory hog. He is a control freak and a bitter little queen.

I am willing to bet Morrissey had less control and influence over albums like Viva Hate (Street) and The Queen is Dead (Marr). These are albums that are clearly excellent. Sure they were his lyrics, and they were great ones, and that is why I am such a big Morrissey fan, but the music on those albums really made them what they were. Morrissey never wanted it to be about the musical or production quality. Morrissey wanted it to be about him. In the later Smiths years, Marr began to garner some of his own attention. He began being discussed and recognized as a fantastic guitarist and a legend in the making. Even though Morrissey still held 95% of the attention and Marr had 5, this was too much for Morrissey. He may well have even been intimidated or jealous of Marr's musical ability, or at least the recognition he was beginning to get for it.

With Street, Viva Hate musically was downright gorgeous. The music and Morrissey's singing and lyrics well complimented each other. But again, I bet the music was a little too gorgeous for Morrissey's liking. Again, Morrissey never wanted it to be about the music, he wanted it to be about him. If he could, he would banish any musical contribution by any individual other than himself and have (unaccredited) elevator music playing in the background whilst he read us prose if he thought it would sell.

This is why he can say with such confidence that he will never again work with Marr or Street. It's not that they aren't good enough. It is that they are too good. When we mentally wail, "...but Morrissey, you were so good with Johnny Marr and Stephen Street! Oh won't you reunite!?" It is for this exact reason that he will not reunite. He would prefer we never even learn the names of his backing musicians and studio producers, much less give them any sort of acclaim or recognition. This is why he is so proud of his latest 3 albums. I am willing to bet he had a lot of artistic influence over the albums. And although they were exactly shit musically, they feature him prominently. He doesn't have to worry about us being distracted with the high musical quality. He wants all the recognition to be squarely on him. If one of the new studio producers or a backing musician began to garner some of the acclaim, he would gladly never work with them again.

In Saddam Hussein-era Iraq, if you worked in Hussein's government, it was never a good idea to become too popular with the people. Be faithful and loyal to the leader, but never seek to let any of his spotlight shine on you. In fact, shun it if you know what is good for you. Shun it if you don't want to mysteriously disappear.
These are also wise words to consider if you work with Morrissey.

This also touches on why The Charming Leader despises Morrissey-Solo. A large number of people on this website have the audacity to actually voice their opinions. Many of those opinions are critical and questioning of Morrissey - especially some of his newest endeavors (The ones he is so defiantly proud of). Also, David Tseng posts Morrissey news, mentions in the media, and gossip. Tseng posts articles irrespective of whether they show Morrissey in a good, bad or indifferent light. Morrissey does not like this. He feels Tseng does not toe the line like a good little, unquestioning, eternally grateful and awe-inspired Morrissey fan should (What he will never understand is that we are still awe-inspired by him but we are also adults with adult opinions).

Yes, Morrissey is essentially the Kim Jong-Il of music and true-to-you.net is his "state-controlled media" if you will (except Morrissey isn't dead of course). I don't know who Kim Jong-un will be... Billy Corgan?

Anyway, throw away all your books claiming they have the inside scoop on the behind the scenes stuff and the breakup, etc. and realize that this theory explains 99% of the biggest questions you have. This answers the questions about the court trials and why Rourke and Joyce were disrespected and dismissed by Morrissey so readily and easily. Why he dismissed and talked-down their musical contribution (newsflash: He would have done the same to Marr if he thought people would believe him).
This explains why he doesn't keep a guitarist for too long, unless that guitarist knows and recognizes their place in the "band".
This is why he wanted his band to be called Morrissey and not The Smiths.
This is why when interviewers ask him what artists/bands he currently enjoys, he always says none.
This explains why we have so many quotes where he talks down every other contemporary artist when he was coming up in the 80s.
This is why he only ever pays homage to and/or admires dead people (like Oscar Wilde and James Dean) and never the living. He knows he can claim these people as his heroes and champion their greatness and they can never come back and rival his greatness or tell him to f*** off.
This answers the question as to why he has still after all these years never given a clear answer about why the f*** the Smiths broke up! He doesn't answer the question because he knows he dumped Marr and the Smiths and Stephen Street, and a million others because he only ever wanted all the attention and fanfare and glory to be about him. And who would ever want to admit that?

Last edited:
You' ve got this post wrong celibate, go back and reread it.

Celibate doesn't have two brain cells to rub together. It really is like having an 8 year old posting on here all the time. An 8 year old with a 4 year old's spelling ability.

1. Vauxhall and I
2. Strangeways
3. Bona Drag
4.Louder than Bombs
5.Viva Hate
6.Hatfull of hollow
7.Meat is Murder
8.The Smiths
9.Queen is dead
10.Ringleader of the tormentors
Vauxhall has a very special place for me.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom