Any Opinions On Morrissey's Most Recent "Truly Great" Song?

S

Skylarker

I'm going with Christian Dior, followed by Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed, followed by Ganglord.

And...almost Art-hounds, in fact maybe more than any of the above, but the 'Aunt Mabel/restaurant' part ruins it.

Sweetie Pie and Life Is A Pigsty...maybe Let Me Kiss You.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Not Your Birthday Anymore and My Dearest Love.

Life Is a Pigsty, Shame Is The Name, Ganglord, I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris & Christian Dior
OK, but choosing just one?

Life Is a Pigsty

Last edited:
Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed is one of the strongest songs on Refusal, followed closely by It's Not You're Birthday Anymore. I've also always liked Shame Is The Name, because it captures the mindset of a lot of people I know and dislike perfectly.

'My Dearest Love', 'It's Not Your Birthday Anymore', 'Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed'. That's it.

You Were Good In Your Time, less the squiffy "passing over to the other side" sound collage.

It depends on your definition of recent (does 2004 count?), but here are some 'truly great' songs...

The Slum Mums
Friday Mourning
Irish Blood, English Heart
Shame Is The Name
My Dearest Love
Dear God Please Help Me
Life Is A Pigsty
Something Is Squeezing My Skull
It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
Action Is My Middle Name

Action being literally the most recent.

I think Years of Refusal is a cracking album but it hasn't got anything truly great on it imo. The sum is much greater than its parts.

Last truly great song? Probably First of the gang to die. I've heard it too many times to listen to it now but it was probably his last song that had mass appeal so could claim to be truly great.

Back
Top Bottom