Morrissey - Of Which I Am Most Proud - singles

My favourite outtakes that have leaked onto the internet would make a good list, or his favourite video promos, or one I would be interested in but would probably just be another plea to purchase the Swords album (never!) a list of favourite B-sides.

He believes his best work is his most recent work. Either he really believes that, or he knows he should say that he believes it, publicly. In any case I think it reveals a healthy state of mind. He's not looking back. Good.

Personally I don't think compiling pointless lists and posting them on your number one fan's website devoted to you is any shape or form, healthy.

Personally I don't think compiling pointless lists and posting them on your number one fan's website devoted to you is any shape or form, healthy.

Perhaps not healthy exactly, but then has he ever been 'sane'? His career has always been centred on self-obsession, its part of "Being Morrissey".

Would you think it healthy if I pointed out that at least he isn't shooting up the local post office with a Kalashnikov? :rolleyes:

Incidentally, there is one surprising omission. Not that it's his best single by any stretch-- in fact, in my opinion, it's one of his poorest-- but on a list of singles of which he's proudest, why is there no mention of his collaboration with Sandie Shaw for the "Hand In Glove" single? You'd think it was one of the highlights of his career, given his adoration for our dear delightful Sandie.

Would you think it healthy if I pointed out that at least he isn't shooting up the local post office with a Kalashnikov? :rolleyes:

Incidentally, there is one surprising omission. Not that it's his best single by any stretch-- in fact, in my opinion, it's one of his poorest-- but on a list of singles of which he's proudest, why is there no mention of his collaboration with Sandie Shaw for the "Hand In Glove" single? You'd think it was one of the highlights of his career, given his adoration for our dear delightful Sandie.

Perhaps he learnt a lesson, do not collaborate with his heroes again.

Perhaps you're right, Kewpie, but remember, it was Sandie singing a Smiths song. This wasn't the usual sort of collaboration. Not like the disaster with Siouxsie.

Of course, I've probably answered my own question. He doesn't sing on the single, aside from some ghostly background moaning, so maybe he doesn't regard it as one of "his" singles. Still, the glorious goddess of his childhood warbled his words for the edification of the British public (all 18 of them who actually heard the song, I mean). Wouldn't that rate an entry in his all-time top ten? Or at least a footnote?

Didn't their relationship sour pretty quickly? Probably when he noticed that she was an ungrateful, back-biting witch mocking his "fanboy" adorations at every possible opportunity, a little like this:

The Moz segment from her autobiography was vomit-inducing and so was her talking-head appearance on The Importance of.... She's vile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't their relationship sour pretty quickly? Probably when he noticed that she was an ungrateful, back-biting witch mocking his "fanboy" adorations at every possible opportunity, a little like this:

The Moz segment from her autobiography was vomit-inducing and so was her talking-head appearance on The Importance of.... She's vile.

Oh, I didn't know any of that. Maybe that's why he didn't mention her.

That said, I'm not sure I could refrain from gentle mockery of a "fanboy" who sat next to me on TV with a hedge in his lap. :)

Oh, I didn't know any of that. Maybe that's why he didn't mention her.

That said, I'm not sure I could refrain from gentle mockery of a "fanboy" who sat next to me on TV with a hedge in his lap. :)

For a minute, I thought that was a euphemism..

Tell us how you really feel, Amy? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. As I stated on the main page, he's almost violently anti-nostalgic.
Even when he sings Smiths songs, going all the way back to the early solo days, he sang them as Morrissey solo -- if that make sense. No reliving, in other words.

There are so many factors that influence these lists made by the creators themselves -- how the record sold, their mood when creating it, who was involved, critics (even one line of one review), and on and on. But in general, an artist should be most interested in what he or she is doing recently, otherwise they would and should, stop. Morrissey has never bent to trends or the will of others in creating his music, or even followed up his hits with copycat releases like so many bands, so in his case we are getting exactly the records he wants to make.

He believes his best work is his most recent work. Either he really believes that, or he knows he should say that he believes it, publicly. In any case I think it reveals a healthy state of mind. He's not looking back. Good.

Last edited:
I might not even agree with my own favourite Moz tracks from 6 years ago. Maybe if we ask Moz again in a year he'd have a different list?
I'd like to think he was listening to his own records and pressed repeat a few times. I change my favourites that way a lot.
'Let me kiss you' sounded so good to me a few days ago.

Compiling lists wouldn't take much time. He could still crank out some albums and do a cheese list.
He could play Florida every week and write lists of "Subpar pizza places in Gainesville, Florida" if he wanted.

Back
Top Bottom