Jack The Ripper

G

goinghome

On - http://solarisocean.tripod.com/jack.html, a nice short article is to be found extolling the merits of Morrissey's song Jack the Ripper. In it is this observation:

"It should be noted that in the original version there are additional lyrics, a kind of whispery, distorted track which comes in after the last chorus, but it is difficult to make out the exact words of this lyric."

On Disc 3 of the 2009-released HMV 3-CD compilation of singles 1988-'95, Jack The Ripper comes third on the playlist, and it appears to be this original version that I, for one, hadn't heard before.

For the benefit of others similarly discommoded on this point, I have tried to decipher the alternative words inserted in substitute for the second chorus towards the end as in Beethoven Was Deaf, which sound to me like this:

"And no one knows a thing about my life;
I can come and go as I please.
If I want to, I can stay,
And if I want to, I can leave.
Nobody knows me,
Nobody knows me,
Nobody knows me,
Nobody knows me, oh, oh.."

The brief fade-out includes noises that light jangling chains might make. Also, I think this version is quicker and more rhythmic than the other, and in the intro, the beat is abetted by drip-like notes in different keys, something similar to that in the accompaniment of Tina Turner's song, I Can't Stand The Rain.

The whole effect is possibly more spooky and malevolent, strengthening the sense of an evil character voicing their security of movement, comparable to Ambitious Outsiders.

The studio version is really good, but sounds almost like a different song than the live version.

The intro of the live version sounds like the opening of "Making Plans for Nigel" by XTC, for those who are interested in such things.

The studio version is really good, but sounds almost like a different song than the live version.

The intro of the live version sounds like the opening of "Making Plans for Nigel" by XTC, for those who are interested in such things.

Disagree.

Live version's intro doesn't sound like 'Making Plans for Nigel'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disagree.

Live version's intro doesn't sound like 'Making Plans for Nigel'.

It kinda does a little bit.

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ph-vswy2xLA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ph-vswy2xLA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
On Disc 3 of the 2009-released HMV 3-CD compilation of singles 1988-'95, Jack The Ripper comes third on the playlist, and it appears to be this original version that I, for one, hadn't heard before.

To be honest, I haven't bought the 3 CD release from last year (got them all already in several formats) is it a different version - or is it just that the blogger hadn't heard it before?

There is a live version from World of Morrissey / My Early Burglary Years (same version I think) a longer version from the same night is on Beethoven was Deaf and there's a studio version from Certain People I Know single. I assume that the HMV 3CD set is just the original single b-side.

Dave

To be honest, I haven't bought the 3 CD release from last year (got them all already in several formats) is it a different version - or is it just that the blogger hadn't heard it before?

There is a live version from World of Morrissey / My Early Burglary Years (same version I think) a longer version from the same night is on Beethoven was Deaf and there's a studio version from Certain People I Know single. I assume that the HMV 3CD set is just the original single b-side.

Dave

I have neither the single nor My Early Burglary Years, so those who do may come forward? The version on the HMV compilation is that aired here -[youtube]wAFaVQCGrk4&feature=related[/youtube]

Jack The Ripper featured in 'Beethoven was Deaf', 'My Early Burglary Years' and 'The World of Morrissey' are all the same.

As Dave2006 posted, a fan made youtube video's version above is found in B side of 'Certain People I Know'.

I haven't heard of earlier previously unreleased studio version of Jack The Ripper.
(my internet connection is annoyingly wonky, hence it took me ages to edit this post)

Last edited:
Jack The Ripper featured in 'Beethoven was Deaf', 'My Early Burglary Years' and 'The World of Morrissey' are all the same.

Thanks Kewpie. It may then be the b-side version on the 'Certain People I Know' single, or an earlier previously unreleased studio version. One of the 'experts' will soon put us right. :)

Thanks Kewpie. It may then be the b-side version on the 'Certain People I Know' single, or an earlier previously unreleased studio version. One of the 'experts' will soon put us right. :)

I'm not sure I understand the confusion here. There is the studio version (i.e. the bside to Certain People I Know) and a live version featured on Beethoven... and repeated on the compilations. And again, a much improved live version on Who Put The M In Manchester.

The two "versions" are quite different. The studio one is Michael's Bones-ish, the live one is more indie-pop-rock-guitar-y.

There are no more versions floating about that are available, although someone somewhere probably has demos or alternate takes or something.

I'm not sure I understand the confusion here. There is the studio version (i.e. the bside to Certain People I Know) and a live version featured on Beethoven... and repeated on the compilations. And again, a much improved live version on Who Put The M In Manchester.

The two "versions" are quite different. The studio one is Michael's Bones-ish, the live one is more indie-pop-rock-guitar-y.

There are no more versions floating about that are available, although someone somewhere probably has demos or alternate takes or something.

That's ok. It has become clear that the Beethoven Was Deaf version has been by far the most familiar one since the song was released. Since the other is rare, it's natural that people who haven't heard it might be interested.

Another helpful piece of information comes from http://www.cemetrygates.com/faq/faqmusic.htm

- Q:Is there a studio version of "Jack The Ripper"?
A:Yes, a studio version of "Jack the Ripper" (as opposed to live on "Beethoven Was Deaf" and "World of Morrissey") can be found on the UK "Certain People I Know" single. This single is no longer being pressed and usually costs around $35 when found at CD stores. -

That's ok. It has become clear that the Beethoven Was Deaf version has been by far the most familiar one since the song was released. Since the other is rare, it's natural that people who haven't heard it might be interested.

Another helpful piece of information comes from http://www.cemetrygates.com/faq/faqmusic.htm

- Q:Is there a studio version of "Jack The Ripper"?
A:Yes, a studio version of "Jack the Ripper" (as opposed to live on "Beethoven Was Deaf" and "World of Morrissey") can be found on the UK "Certain People I Know" single. This single is no longer being pressed and usually costs around $35 when found at CD stores. -

$35 for a second hand disc?

I found it from a charity shop for £1 about 3 years ago.

Morrissey should release the "Who Put The 'M'..." birthday concert on CD, it'd be great to have all them songs and brilliant versions of old tracks on your iPod...

Last edited:
Morrissey should release the "Who Put The 'M'..." birthday concert on CD, it'd be great to have all them songs and brilliant versions of old tracks on your iPod...

*swoon* "There's a lack of real spoice in yer loife." :love:

You can download the audio of the DVD in the Downloads section somewhere. Someone will post a link soon.

Theres a stunning version of Jack the ripper on the Introducing Morrissey video from 95,someones selling it on Dvd transfer on ebay from time to time

Alan

Google search a program called "DVD Audio Extractor", set the output to mp3, put the Manchester DVD in your DVD drive and hit the button.

Then make a folder and tag the mp3 files correctly, and voila:

image1fv.jpg

Back
Top Bottom