Voices of the real and the imagined

Eraserhead

Accept Myself
I'm interested in Morrissey's usage of sound/voice samplings that tend to reference films etc whilst making oblique hints and gestures. For example, the sample at the end of Billy Budd is from David Lean's version of Oliver Twist: "Don't leave us in the dark". In the context of the song it seems to be pointed towards issues of sexuality regarding Morrissey's evasion of disclosure. At least, that's how I see it.
Anyway, i'd like to know where the sample from the beginning of 'Black Cloud' is from and also the rather muffled voice towards the end of 'The teachers are afraid of the pupils'. Also the sample about LA at the start of 'First of the gang to die' and basically any other sample you might know about. These things always bother me. :D

Good thread...
The words:
"I'm very glad the spring has come
The sun shines out so bright
All the birds that are on the trees
Are singing for delight "

from The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils, were taken from Eight O'Clock Walk.

According to Passions:
The sample heard at the end of the song is from the 1952 film "Eight O'Clock Walk".

"And they catch him, and they say he's mental..."Spring Heeled Jim

It so reminds me of The Bill!

I'm interested in Morrissey's usage of sound/voice samplings that tend to reference films etc whilst making oblique hints and gestures. For example, the sample at the end of Billy Budd is from David Lean's version of Oliver Twist: "Don't leave us in the dark". In the context of the song it seems to be pointed towards issues of sexuality regarding Morrissey's evasion of disclosure. At least, that's how I see it.
Anyway, i'd like to know where the sample from the beginning of 'Black Cloud' is from and also the rather muffled voice towards the end of 'The teachers are afraid of the pupils'. Also the sample about LA at the start of 'First of the gang to die' and basically any other sample you might know about. These things always bother me. :D

Many thanks to Stephane, most of the sources of the samples are listed in song lyrics of
http://passionsjustlikemine.com

The sample of 'Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils' is taken from a film 'Eight O'clock Walk'.
Unfortunately we still don't know the source of the girl's voice used in 'Black Cloud'.

Someone speaks in french at the very beginning of Piccadilly Palare: "super, j'espère (?) que tu vas crever" which means "Great, I hope (? I'm not sure for the verb) you will croak".

Anybody knows where it's from? (it's not Suggs).

Many thanks to Stephane, most of the sources of the samples are listed in song lyrics of
http://passionsjustlikemine.com

The sample of 'Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils' is taken from a film 'Eight O'clock Walk'.
Unfortunately we still don't know the source of the girl's voice used in 'Black Cloud'.

Could you tell me what part of this site lists the samples please, please, please.........thanks. :D

Could you tell me what part of this site lists the samples please, please, please.........thanks. :D

Song lyrics.

Eg: click song lyrics -> click title of a song (Teachers are afraid of the pupils) -> scroll down the lyrics then you find a note.

In addition section 'under the influence' -> cinema, you find some sample sources are listed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom