"Istanbul" single (digital download) released (May 20, 2014)

Just downloaded from Amazon.
First listen - wow! Very Smiths-esque.

As noted by Ryan., the download is should also now be available to those who pre-ordered the album. CrystalGeezer notes the song is also now available on iTunes.

As mentioned by Uncleskinny, this release has not been publicized yet on Harvest Records' Twitter feed, TTY, or Morrissey's Official Facebook page.

Also now available on Spotify.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought "Istanbul". The sound on it and WPINOYB is quite impressive, less clunking and banging compared to the last couple records. Looking forward to the complete release.

Re: Boko Haram

Here's an experiment to try to explore building empathy and compassion. Watch the latest news from Syria or Nigeria on mute with headphones pumping out "WPINOYB" and "Istanbul". What emotional effect does The Voice Of Morrissey have on you whilst you watch the torture/slaughter infotainment disguised as 'news'? When you see the footage of the young girls stolen from their homes and enslaved or used as sex slaves by "Boko Haram", can you still remain numb whilst listening to these songs? We can't and we've done it several times with increasingly distressing emotional responses.

The strongest revulsion we have encountered regarding 'Boko Haram' is on the streets of B9/B10, Sparkhill and Small Heath, Birmingham, the supposedly fundamentalist areas where "BrummieBoy" grew up in a Little Ireland now long vanished. In the leafy Shires, the anger is more restrained, but it's there. "Boko Haram" means "Western Education is Forbidden"

"they seized more than 200 girls last month, in a case which shocked the world and prompted foreign powers to send military advisors to assist Nigeria's army tackle the insurgency."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27465113

'Istanbul' isn't just about the city of Istanbul. It isn't just about that prostituted lost boy and his distraught father. It's about Boko Haram, about each and every one of those lost girls and their grieving despairing parents. And this song will one day be heard in Kano city and Borno province when Morrissey steps on stage to rapturous applause. As we said an hour after the song was released, this is Morrissey's finest moment, and a pinnacle of artistic achievement which it's hard to see anyone matching. And there is absolutely no equivocations or reservations 11 hours later.

Now, it's time to get in the car and drive to Istanbul, we mean Birmingham, to the late-night casbah coffee shops and and the Lebanese and Somali restaurants. It's 'edgy' baby, if you're a tourist but we're. We're Peaky Blinder homeboys and girls, it's our hood and we've only ever encountered racism or threats of violence from disturbed fanatics of which there are very few.

ensh'Allah

"BrummieBoy"

NB: A note on the use of 'I' and 'We'. We are not royals and use the plural as this is a group effort communicated through a single person. It is a process of 'channeling', txt msgs and Social Media PMs. And there is the ouija board and the Automatic Writing technique which Morrissey also uses. We trust that this answers the queries raised in recent emails. It's obvious that that old email address from years ago is being circulated afresh to avoid using this site's internal communication system. Yes, we monitor it but don't expect a reply as we are overwhelmed with projects and crises. If it's important, don't worry.....we'll let you know.
Having lived in 'B9', your words are not lost on me.
Regards,
FWD

This song is not even close to Now My Heart Is Full--seriously? The lyrics here are not as engaging and personal to the listener as NMHIF. How many us have gay prostitutes for children--come on now.

Why can't you who never question anything Morrissey does actually be openminded and critical of him when he does not produce quality?

So far, none of the new songs on this release would make a B side to the good old days of Boz, Alain, Gary, and Spencer. This group he has now--and the repetitive lyrics that are so faulty--mean another sorry release.

B9: Gateway to The Ackers......

Having lived in 'B9', your words are not lost on me.
Regards,
FWD

aha!

The swimming baths must be restored! And the park. And the site of "BrummieBoys" greatest triumph and disaster was at a school in B9 where he found his one true love. If you are an Aquinas or King Edward's "BrummieBoy" you will know not to fcuk with the St Phils Hagley Road Massive Attack. One of us set fire to a bus on 5 Ways roundabout because they were 'bored'. It made the front page of the Evening Mail and was one of our greatest lulz-festz, even more so when Plod turned up and we pretended to be #shittingourselves. Yeah, right, because that's what us Peaky Paddy Blinder B9/10/11 BCFC Zulus do, isn't it........

We hope you are enjoying The Resurrection Of Morrissey which "Istanbul" represents. Who knew? I wonder if the Del Ray Rockets will get a slot at any of the gigs? Can you think of a more appropriate local guest act if/when Morrissey comes to Brum and tries to take Miley Cyrus's outrage award?

best wishes
"BrummieBoy"

Re: B9: Gateway to The Ackers......

aha!

The swimming baths must be restored! And the park. And the site of "BrummieBoys" greatest triumph and disaster was at a school in B9 where he found his one true love. If you are an Aquinas or King Edward's "BrummieBoy" you will know not to fcuk with the St Phils Hagley Road Massive Attack. One of us set fire to a bus on 5 Ways roundabout because they were 'bored'. It made the front page of the Evening Mail and was one of our greatest lulz-festz, even more so when Plod turned up and we pretended to be #shittingourselves. Yeah, right, because that's what us Peaky Paddy Blinder B9/10/11 BCFC Zulus do, isn't it........

We hope you are enjoying The Resurrection Of Morrissey which "Istanbul" represents. Who knew? I wonder if the Del Ray Rockets will get a slot at any of the gigs? Can you think of a more appropriate local guest act if/when Morrissey comes to Brum and tries to take Miley Cyrus's outrage award?

best wishes
"BrummieBoy"

You know the area far too well!
I must say that Istanbul has enthused me again and I hope some of the equally interesting titles are as epic in nature.
I will be seeing The Delray Rockets on Boxing Day at the wonderful Ladywood Social Club - a haven for us closet rockabilly types.
Fight the good fight - all of 'you' ;)
FWD

I can't believe Moz is not going to have a physical release of a single. This I thought would never happen. Maybe he felt this album is not a singles type album. Anyone else venture a guess?

I'd venture to say that he's finally willing to get with the times. He had no choice but to adapt.

MY GOD. moz has been phoning it in for sooooo long (in my opinion), that this has caught me completely off-guard. Istanbul is spectacular!

Sitting down with my nice headphones and listening to this song is almost an ethereal experience. It's perfect.

heard 'Instanbul' in whole on spotify, absolutely a gem.

nuff said

'and they say he's mentall' ... found back my faith in the upcoming album...

ps the guitarsound that repeats once a while, is like Tricky's - black steel

Last edited:
Re: Boko Haram

Here's an experiment to try to explore building empathy and compassion. Watch the latest news from Syria or Nigeria on mute with headphones pumping out "WPINOYB" and "Istanbul". What emotional effect does The Voice Of Morrissey have on you whilst you watch the torture/slaughter infotainment disguised as 'news'? When you see the footage of the young girls stolen from their homes and enslaved or used as sex slaves by "Boko Haram", can you still remain numb whilst listening to these songs? We can't and we've done it several times with increasingly distressing emotional responses.

The strongest revulsion we have encountered regarding 'Boko Haram' is on the streets of B9/B10, Sparkhill and Small Heath, Birmingham, the supposedly fundamentalist areas where "BrummieBoy" grew up in a Little Ireland now long vanished. In the leafy Shires, the anger is more restrained, but it's there. "Boko Haram" means "Western Education is Forbidden"

"they seized more than 200 girls last month, in a case which shocked the world and prompted foreign powers to send military advisors to assist Nigeria's army tackle the insurgency."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27465113

'Istanbul' isn't just about the city of Istanbul. It isn't just about that prostituted lost boy and his distraught father. It's about Boko Haram, about each and every one of those lost girls and their grieving despairing parents. And this song will one day be heard in Kano city and Borno province when Morrissey steps on stage to rapturous applause. As we said an hour after the song was released, this is Morrissey's finest moment, and a pinnacle of artistic achievement which it's hard to see anyone matching. And there is absolutely no equivocations or reservations 11 hours later.

Now, it's time to get in the car and drive to Istanbul, we mean Birmingham, to the late-night casbah coffee shops and and the Lebanese and Somali restaurants. It's 'edgy' baby, if you're a tourist but we're. We're Peaky Blinder homeboys and girls, it's our hood and we've only ever encountered racism or threats of violence from disturbed fanatics of which there are very few.

ensh'Allah

"BrummieBoy"

NB: A note on the use of 'I' and 'We'. We are not royals and use the plural as this is a group effort communicated through a single person. It is a process of 'channeling', txt msgs and Social Media PMs. And there is the ouija board and the Automatic Writing technique which Morrissey also uses. We trust that this answers the queries raised in recent emails. It's obvious that that old email address from years ago is being circulated afresh to avoid using this site's internal communication system. Yes, we monitor it but don't expect a reply as we are overwhelmed with projects and crises. If it's important, don't worry.....we'll let you know.

The Best Morrissey Poem (and The Song) Ever. This Is The Best Song of 21st Century.
The World Must Listen!

I do buy the songs, I'm just saying for those who don't at least the art is accessible. At the end of the day it's not about the money.

Quite. I will buy the album, but I'm not going to spend the money on the singles on top of that when they're included in the album price anyway. I know it's not a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things, but I'm unemployed atm and can't really put Morrissey singles at the top of my priorities for my limited weekly budget, haha.

This song is not even close to Now My Heart Is Full--seriously? The lyrics here are not as engaging and personal to the listener as NMHIF. How many us have gay prostitutes for children--come on now.

Why can't you who never question anything Morrissey does actually be openminded and critical of him when he does not produce quality?

So far, none of the new songs on this release would make a B side to the good old days of Boz, Alain, Gary, and Spencer. This group he has now--and the repetitive lyrics that are so faulty--mean another sorry release.

Did you take a poll?

I am assuming you also really disliked Piccadilly Palare. And let us not forget--how many of us have vicars who wear tutus or know disco dancers that are dead?

And if we are really going to get literal how many of us can relate to having exhausted Shelagh Delaney's A Taste of Honey as a source of lyrical inspiration?

Most of Morrissey's songs speak to us on multiple levels. On the literal, specific level concerning whatever events or actions it describes--which often times is quite vague and impossible to fully to decipher, as well as a more general level concerning the sense of emotions the lyrics evoke.

We can all relate to the feelings of loss, alienation, loneliness, etc. even if we can't relate to Morrissey's reasons for feeling that way or even know the specific instance that inspired him.

I think he's at best in the early Smiths lyrics when he's both specific and vague at the same time. Songs like How Soon Is Now, This Charming Man, Hand In Glove, These Things Take Time, What Difference Does It Make, etc. you get the sense that there's a very specific incident or episode that he's referring to, and while you can maybe pick out pieces of it you don't know for sure the exact circumstance Morrissey is referring to. That doesn't stop you from feeling what Morrissey is feeling and it doesn't stop you from relating to that feeling.

That being said I think Istanbul is quite poetic and beautiful both lyrically and musically. If you can't see that because you've "never had gay prostitutes for children" than I feel like you must struggle to meaningfully enjoy many works of art.

Which is really quite sad.

Morrissey is showing he still has some major strength in story telling. Songs like this where there are characters, a little narrative... the lyrics, still simple, but it really is like poetry. This is much better than when he's standing on his soap box talking about how police will stun you with their stun guns. Please Moz, more stories, more characters, more poetry!

Did you take a poll?

I am assuming you also really disliked Piccadilly Palare. And let us not forget--how many of us have vicars who wear tutus or know disco dancers that are dead?

And if we are really going to get literal how many of us can relate to having exhausted Shelagh Delaney's A Taste of Honey as a source of lyrical inspiration?

Most of Morrissey's songs speak to us on multiple levels. On the literal, specific level concerning whatever events or actions it describes--which often times is quite vague and impossible to fully to decipher, as well as a more general level concerning the sense of emotions the lyrics evoke.

We can all relate to the feelings of loss, alienation, loneliness, etc. even if we can't relate to Morrissey's reasons for feeling that way or even know the specific instance that inspired him.

I think he's at best in the early Smiths lyrics when he's both specific and vague at the same time. Songs like How Soon Is Now, This Charming Man, Hand In Glove, These Things Take Time, What Difference Does It Make, etc. you get the sense that there's a very specific incident or episode that he's referring to, and while you can maybe pick out pieces of it you don't know for sure the exact circumstance Morrissey is referring to. That doesn't stop you from feeling what Morrissey is feeling and it doesn't stop you from relating to that feeling.

That being said I think Istanbul is quite poetic and beautiful both lyrically and musically. If you can't see that because you've "never had gay prostitutes for children" than I feel like you must struggle to meaningfully enjoy many works of art.

Which is really quite sad.

Thank you, Chip! I think you've brilliantly summed up why most of us love Morrissey. I just hope 'Fan' doesn't actually believe Morrissey has friends called Dallow and Spicer.

Thank you, Chip! I think you've brilliantly summed up why most of us love Morrissey. I just hope 'Fan' doesn't actually believe Morrissey has friends called Dallow and Spicer.

I am more concerned Fan thinks she/he has friends named Dallow and Spicer...

Back
Top Bottom