Has Morrissey Disappointed You?

Me too. Geek chic, baby. I'll take his snug fitting floods over the loose trousers any day.

I love geeky, which is why I love this Moz:

blackshirtglasses.jpg

I love a man in a t-shirt and jeans. :D

The odd thing has disappointed me - like the Maladjusted album, which I think is the weakest thing he's recorded. I was gutted when the Roundhouse gig was abandoned as I had tickets for the Saturday night gig - still no official apology! Despite these things, I don't regret a thing. I got into The Smiths in 1983, through the classic John Peel sessions.

I quite liked Maladjusted I loved his hair in those days, I wish he stuck with it. Roundhouse was but one of many cancellations throughout his career that left fans heartbroken and often provided with weak excuses if any at all.

This will come as no surprise to anyone who has read enough of my posts over the last four years, but his decision to retain Jesse Tobias as a songwriter, guitarist, and "muse" is both disappointing and befuddling. Even if you don't care for Alain Whyte, it would be hard to argue against the logic that Morrissey could do much better than Jesse. I think it goes hand in hand with his bending more towards a "commercial" sound in recent years. Jerry Finn has not helped in this regard, either, though I'll reserve judgment until I hear the new album with its supposed live-in-the-studio feel.

I tend to filter his political statements from his art. While I sometimes roll my eyes at some of the things he says, I can objectively listen to the songs without the agit-prop. Whether you agree or disagree with him, or no matter how simplistic some of his takes on topics are, I do admire that he is his own man and seems to have no fear of people's opinion of him. Morrissey sang it was "[his] life to ruin [his] way" and damned if he doesn't live it.

Cheers,
Jamie

I think post Smiths and being so disappointed with Johnny leaving, I think Morrissey has taken the easy path, looking for people without a strong vision that he can push around and playing for Moz is the peak of the career. I also think Jesse fits in with pandering to his Mexican fan base. Which is fine, he is providing a product his key demographic wants. I can't blame him for wanting to be the strongest creative force in his career. However, I would to see what he could do if he collaborated with another amazing talent in the same league as Johnny...

why do people think moz is pandering when he writes a song like first of the gang,he wrote it while living in los angeles,he also wrote all the lazy dykes there,as he had observed the scene outside the palms one night.

he writes and sings about what he observes.

or should he still be writing songs about teenagers in manchester?

Well, I'm really thankful that you understand where I'm coming from. In a book by Chuck Klosterman, "IV"- there's a very interesting essay in it called, "1,400 Mexican Moz Fans Can't Be (Totally) Wrong" and he basically understands how we're feeling. I remember when I went to a Malajusted show in 1997 with a friend, we were LITERALLY ( and I am NOT saying this is a bad thing, or a wrong thing, but it was a WEIRD thing.) the only whites in line. (Well, we met another white couple later on and they were our age-late 30's.) I just kept looking around, and remarking to my friend, "What IS this? I don't get it!". It was just so surreal! Anyway, like yourself, I simply ignore it now, but I've been a fan since 1984. I'm old. I've seen The Smiths. When I think of The Smiths, I think of the video (it's probably a DVD now) "Hulmerist". (if you've seen it, you know what I mean.) Anyway, this will still remain a conundrum for me. But you're right. YATQ IS a brilliant album. I remember when I heard, "IBEH" for the first time, and that little synthy part at the end kind of caught me off guard. The only song I do not like on YATQ is, "All The Lazy Dykes". Doesn't trip my trigger, sorry. This is turning into a novel. Thanks so much for understanding my opinion. :)

I have read too many explanations for why the LA/Mexican fans took over his shows, none of them really add up... What really gets me is why his original fans in SoCal left him... I am sure some just outgrew him but maybe the Mexicans alienated them and they no longer wanted to be associated with that crowd... I know I am treading on dangerous ground here and I don't want to fan any flames but the world in general is too touchy. I don't think it means you are racist if you find a certain culture unattractive and you are disappointed that your hero Morrissey starts favoring a group of people you have no interest in.

Since I hung in there I do wonder who turned their back on whom first, did Morrissey's old fans leave him first or did he push them away?

Morrissey's love of Roma is something I can relate to, but too bad it was so short lived...

haahaha

well thats just absurd..

i would never,

i hate baseball caps

:rolleyes::cool:

haha

No, this is absurd. (Sorry, the piccy's too big to post here)

If you enjoyed those, peep the gallery of ned pics at
http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/belters/beltpics.html

I have to agree with you on the awfulness of Mozzer's look in that photo you referenced -- the old man highwaters and the lack of a quiff. If that photo's not already in the unflattering photos thread, add it now! It so belongs there.

You know another look I don't like is the extremely low crotch on his trousers in the "You Have Killed Me" vid. Just awful. How is that a good look to foreshorten his legs? He's already got a rather long torso.

Thank Mozness he's abandoned both of those unflattering looks!

No, this is absurd. (Sorry, the piccy's too big to post here)

If you enjoyed those, peep the gallery of ned pics at
http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/belters/beltpics.html

I have to agree with you on the awfulness of Mozzer's look in that photo you referenced -- the old man highwaters and the lack of a quiff. If that photo's not already in the unflattering photos thread, add it now! It so belongs there.

You know another look I don't like is the extremely low crotch on his trousers in the "You Have Killed Me" vid. Just awful. How is that a good look to foreshorten his legs? He's already got a rather long torso.

Thank Mozness he's abandoned both of those unflattering looks!

agreed.

I miss that vauxhall era look

and lately he has looked great as well

him in a tux is amazing.

but if not,bring back the gingham check shirts and jeans..

Beck's return to Scientology was a huge let down for me... If Morrissey ever joins a cult I am opting out for sure... However being a rock star is oddly similar to being a cult leader... Didn't Bowie say Hitler was the first rock star or something like that...

I first started listening to the Smiths around the time 120mins started showing the "How Soon is Now?" video on MTV. But I didn't really buy anything until the Queen is Dead and I wasn't a die hard fan until Strangeways... Lots of little disappointments from then to now... canceled shows, ignorant statements in interviews, playing favorites, legal battles etc... It all makes me feel so tired and sad.

You remember 120 Minutes? Wasn't that a fantastic show? It just goes to show how unspeakably terrible and SUB PAR MTV is now. I don't think M will join a cult, because, he IS the cult :D. No, seriously, he's too strong willed to do something like that. I will always love Strangeways...it always reminds me of rainy days and introspection (not such a reach, eh?) It'll always be one of my very favorites. Don't worry, I'm always feeling tired and sad. :cool:

I have read too many explanations for why the LA/Mexican fans took over his shows, none of them really add up... What really gets me is why his original fans in SoCal left him... I am sure some just outgrew him but maybe the Mexicans alienated them and they no longer wanted to be associated with that crowd... I know I am treading on dangerous ground here and I don't want to fan any flames but the world in general is too touchy. I don't think it means you are racist if you find a certain culture unattractive and you are disappointed that your hero Morrissey starts favoring a group of people you have no interest in.

Since I hung in there I do wonder who turned their back on whom first, did Morrissey's old fans leave him first or did he push them away?

Morrissey's love of Roma is something I can relate to, but too bad it was so short lived...

Again, as a Latin, I feel that I'm an old-fashined Morrissey fan. His latino affair did push me away a bit. But it's not the first, nor the last time,that he favors a group I have no interest in, as you put it, so I'm used to it. I just let it pass. Still, I totally understand why latinos relate to Morrissey, as I see it from here it has more to do with the passion he pours on his work, how he's not in denyial of raw feelings and how he sings about the hardest things of life (the ones he knows of, of course) without any makeup.
Then again, I'm more, for some reason, a British fan. For a long time now I've been feeling in the excile, and this whole latino thing doesn't bring him closer to home for me.
But that's me, I have no friends for some reason :p

1Morrissey disappoints me in a thousand petty ways, too many to list. And the biggest disappointment was his stupid legal threats against David Tseng. I went off Morrissey for two weeks then.

..i have never heard that he started a legal threat against david?

can you tell me/us a bit more about that

i heard he dont k´like the site but this..must be a few years ago?

I saw The Smiths when I was 13 in New Orleans and I've been hooked ever since. The question is "Has Morrissey Disappointed You?" the answer for me is yes.

In 2004 when he canceled the remainder of the "Texas Tour" without an explanation, that ticked me off. I just had my second child, and went to the show after not seeing him in 5 yrs, I was giddy like a school girl, when i arrived saw that he had canceled and in the midst of it all, got a PK ticket, my wallet was nabbed, and it was just heck. I swore him off again and was really pissed. This would've been the first time he came to H-town in many, many yrs, so I was happy and then onto Austin, but he canceled that too. I wanted to sue.. Sue everybody!!! jk

In Morrissey, not exactly. There is always something to look forward to though when it comes to him.

I've been more disappointed in some of his fans I've come across last year. Really rude and immature people. Is it an L.A. thing, or has anyone else witnessed this?

In Morrissey, not exactly. There is always something to look forward to though when it comes to him.

I've been more disappointed in some of his fans I've come across last year. Really rude and immature people. Is it an L.A. thing, or has anyone else witnessed this?

I agree.. some have changed over the years. Seems more of a selfish thing these days, that they all deserve him and no longer being united in just being a Moz fan. I miss the good ole days.:(

I,VE BEEN A MORRISSEY FAN SINCE 1988 AND I CAN HONESTLY SAY THE ONLY TIME I'VE FELT DISAPPOINTED WITH MORRISSEY WAS WHEN HE NEVER DID IN THE EARLY NINETIES WHAT HE IS DOING NOW WITH THE NME !! AND AS FOR FIRST OF THE GANG TO DIE I WAS SO PLEASED AS IT WAS THE ONLY SONG HE HAS DONE WHERE I'VE HEARD IT IN CLUBS PUBS AND EVEN KARAOKE BARS ! AND THAT'S NOT ME CHEAPENING THINGS I THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT TO SEE PEOPLE ENJOYING SOMEONE WHO THEY HAD SIMPLY FORGOT ABOUT OR DID'NT KNOW DUE TO LACK OF AIRPLAY AND LET'S FACE IT NO REAL HIT SINGLE FOR TEN YEARS . (P.S JUST REMEMBERED Christian Dior MOT THE BEST B-SIDE )

I love geeky, which is why I love this Moz:

blackshirtglasses.jpg

I love a man in a t-shirt and jeans. :D

He's still cute as a button, but he really does have an unusually long torso. When I've been to shows, I love to watch him move around. He has a very different body shape - all good of course! :) Just an observation.

I,VE BEEN A MORRISSEY FAN SINCE 1988 AND I CAN HONESTLY SAY THE ONLY TIME I'VE FELT DISAPPOINTED WITH MORRISSEY WAS WHEN HE NEVER DID IN THE EARLY NINETIES WHAT HE IS DOING NOW WITH THE NME !! AND AS FOR FIRST OF THE GANG TO DIE I WAS SO PLEASED AS IT WAS THE ONLY SONG HE HAS DONE WHERE I'VE HEARD IT IN CLUBS PUBS AND EVEN KARAOKE BARS ! AND THAT'S NOT ME CHEAPENING THINGS I THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT TO SEE PEOPLE ENJOYING SOMEONE WHO THEY HAD SIMPLY FORGOT ABOUT OR DID'NT KNOW DUE TO LACK OF AIRPLAY AND LET'S FACE IT NO REAL HIT SINGLE FOR TEN YEARS . (P.S JUST REMEMBERED Christian Dior MOT THE BEST B-SIDE )

lay off the caffeine

hehe

:rolleyes:

Have you ever been record shopping with Morrissey? Maybe back in the 1980s when he was in southern California, touring with The Smiths?

Back
Top Bottom