Has Morrissey Disappointed You?

I'd leap in front of a flying bullet for you but, face facts, Morrissey was verging on self-parody about the time of Rubber Ring. NOW I do honestly believe he really has nothing left to say. Russell Bland? Woss? That shit single etc

But a passionate love affair will never be forgotten hence posting here amongst the quasi keybored celebs

And then you listen to (3 randoms) Well I Wonder, Sisterama and Shakespeare's Sister.........

By the way eminent professors of English think the apostrophe will demise within 50 years

Headmaster Ritual? ANYONE ANYONE!

Have you ever been record shopping with Morrissey? Maybe back in the 1980s when he was in southern California, touring with The Smiths?

If I did, I wouldn't be talking about it in the "Has Morrissey Disappointed you?" thread... That would be more like "has Morrissey made your dreams come true?" thread...

If I did, I wouldn't be talking about it in the "Has Morrissey Disappointed you?" thread... That would be more like "has Morrissey made your dreams come true?" thread...

You'd be surprised how often the two emotions go hand in glove around here.

I don't know what everyone's problem is. I think he looks very good here. I like the retro look. Retro 50s or 60s is better than retro 70s or 80s.

I don't either. The eighties have come and gone, folks. So have the nineties. He's gonna be 49. He can't dress youthfully forever. Let him express himself any way he wants to. I don't like the high water slacks either, but ....what can you do?

How has Morrissey let you down? Please also mention what year you started listening to Morrissey or The Smiths.

yes, by being rubbish

yes, by being rubbish

Nobody lasts 25 years in the music business without getting a little rubbishy from time to time. With as many perfect songs as the man has recorded, the odds were going to catch up with him sooner or later. He's still way ahead by any count, though.

His new songs are ALL very good, I think. the thing about his "best work" is that I'm not sure if we agree when that period was anyway. I'm shocked when I hear people go on about Meat Is Murder. It's the worst Smiths album. (worst is all relative, yada yada yada)

Anyway, that was the second record, and compared to the first, or the third, or the last, it just didn't make it, but that's how it goes.

You Are The Quarry had excellent songs throughout, though the production was a little more "hit single" than "deep album cut", meaning immediate pay-off, though maybe just a little slick for repeated everyday listening.

ROTT? strange lyrics, about what? I'm not sure. Seem to be really specific to various situations, but not exactly sure who he's singing about in Father Who Must Be Killed, or On The Streets I Ran, though The Youngest Was The Most Loved works in spite of this. But it's basically like a song you would hear in a dream, and it would make perfect sense, then you'd wake up and half remember it, and think, "oh my, what was going on there, then?"

But All You Need Is Me, is CLASSIC!!! He's singing as hi9mself, not as some character, and it makes sense, and it ROCKS, and that's important. It's funny, it's fun to hear, he loves singing it, and it just shows that he still has it.

That's How People Grow Up, I liked less at first. The "small fat child in a council/welfare house" line got me, so I preferred All You Need Is Me, and I didn't hear the genius of the way he was throwing away throwaway lines like the part about how he "crashed and broke my spine", but that's only because I loved AYNIM so much. "people grow up" is another classic, just maybe a little more understated.

Something Is Squeezing My Skull is also an excellent song.

That's not to even mention, "Ganglord", one of the highlights of the shows last year, and a few others, that we can afford to overlook because the bar is so high. If You Don't Like Me is an excellent song, for example. The cover of Magazines, "Song From Under The Floorboard" is so good on those live recordings.

I could go on. In the last 4 years or so, he's released, recorded, or performed, enough excellent songs to make three excellent albums. The problem is the way they've been released hasn't maximized the potential of the albums.

You Are The Quarry was an excellent record. He might have been better mot to do the re-release with the extra songs. Putting two great new songs on The Greatest Hits might not have been a great idea either. In fact that record, and that re-release were both controversial with fans, but besides the commercial considerations, I think they may have led to squandering some good material.

Anyway, it's all out there, and who listens to CD's anymore anyway? You could make a case that he might forget it and just release each song individually. It would serve the purposes for the way many of us listen to them.

Did Morrissey ever disappoint me? As I said, I wasn't completely thrilled with Ringleader once the initial buzz wore off, but the overall answer is, No, he hasn't, really.

Last edited by a moderator:
only once, when the roundhouse gig on january 27th was cancelled... but even then i wasn't tht disppointed because he was ill anyway so it wasn't really his fault.

I'm not sure when I started listening to morrissey because my mum brainwashed me from an early age (im 17 now) ... started being rather obsessed when i was about 11 though.

What really gets me is why his original fans in SoCal left him...
That's certainly not true.

I am sure some just outgrew him but maybe the Mexicans alienated them and they no longer wanted to be associated with that crowd..
Of course, some people move on. There's not many people who haven't had drastic changes in their lives over the last 16 years... To say that fans left because of Mexicans is completely out of nowhere. Look, I saw him dozens of times during the Kill Uncle and Your Arsenal tours, and after the Grand Olympic and Carnegie Hall gigs in 94 were cancelled, I had kind of had enough. I stopped going to see him live for the next five or so years (minus a few local stops during the MJ tour), not because I was alienated by Mexicans, or disappointed in any way. Only because I had a lot of other shit going on in my life, and I was changing. I saw him again for the first time at Coachella in 99, and it all came back full circle. The difference was, I obviously had matured as a person by this point, and had a bit more money I could throw into following his live tours. Seeing him in 99 wasn't the same sort of indifferent feeling I had while seeing him during Maladjusted. I don't buy any of this 'people left cause they were disappointed in his fans' shit. People leave for whatever their own reasons are. Some come back, some don't.

Last edited:
Yes, once, when he decided it was a good idea to use the sound effects of a camera in "The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye". Very bad decision.

His new songs are ALL very good, I think. the thing about his "best work" is that I'm not sure if we agree when that period was anyway. I'm shocked when I hear people go on about Meat Is Murder. It's the worst Smiths album. (worst is all relative, yada yada yada)

Interesting.

I have a couple of friends who detest Morrissey, but think that "Meat is Murder" is not only the best Smiths album, but one of the best albums of the '80s. One friend of mine called it a great work of art. I have to say that "Meat is Murder" is probably the reason I'm here today. It's not my favorite Smiths album (I will always love "The Smiths"), but it was the moment when Morrissey clawed his way into my head, curled up into a little ball, and refused to leave.

... it was the moment when Morrissey clawed his way into my head, curled up into a little ball, and refused to leave.

Awwww I have that image in my head too, when I was 10. He's making a ruckus in there let me tell you. And he never cleans.

Too much so, to the point of where I feel as if I'm in an abusive marriage I can't get out of.
He is a c*** but I love him, unfortunately.

Too much so, to the point of where I feel as if I'm in an abusive marriage I can't get out of.
He is a c*** but I love him, unfortunately.

Geez.

Back
Top Bottom