apologies if already Posted, Morrissey statement/tribute

I didnt know Mel but loved reading her concert reviews. This picture from a link posted by her friend on the main page seems to sum up her spirit and energy. My condolences to her family and friends. (I have sent a small contribution). I am sure her light will never go out.

4557199068_3df83ab33f_m.jpg

Last edited:
Such a beautiful, touching and sincere tribute from Morrissey. I had tears in my eyes, it was just wonderful that he took the time to write it. I didn't know Mel personally, but from her posts on Solo she seemed funny, intelligent and very knowledgeable about all things Morrissey. I was saddened to hear of her death when I logged on yesterday. My condolences go to her family and friends, and she will be dearly missed on here too.

Well I didnt make it to the end without dripping tears on my keyboard.

Sad tears and yet happy tears,
thankyou Morrissey.

I read Morrissey's message on True-to-you.net yesterday and I found it incredibly touching. Such a beautiful tribute; it really goes to show much he values his fans and the role they play in his life.

As a relatively new member here, I never knew Mel, but I get the overwhelming impression from others that she was a lovely person, not to mention incredibly dedicated. My condolences to those who knew and loved her.

I didnt know Mel but loved reading her concert reviews. This picture from a link posted by her friend on the main page seems to sum up her spirit and energy. My condolences to her family and friends. (I have sent a small contribution). I am sure her light will never go out.

4557199068_3df83ab33f_m.jpg

This is a wonderful picture of Mel - I will have to find out if I can get a larger version because this is exactly how I want to remember her. I have the same shirt that she is wearing - because Mel bought one for me in the U.K. and sent it to me because I had casually mentioned I wish I could find one. That's the kind of person she was: unfailingly generous, incredibly thoughtful. When she made Morrissey candles for her friends, she used circa 2006 images for everyone - except me. She knew I didn't fancy modern Morrissey as much as Smiths-era Morrissey, so she specially made one for me with 1985 Morrissey on it. That's the kind of thoughtfulness that she always exhibited.

Every day something reminds me of her... and I tear up again. This morning it was "November Spawned a Monster" coming on shuffle. At the Portland show during the Oye Esteban show, Mel and I were up against the stage together. I kept trying to touch Morrissey's hand but being quite short, I couldn't quite reach him... then during the middle part of "Monster" he stretched out as far as he could, and I stretched out as far as I could towards him, and he sang, "Stretch, stretch" to me as I finally was able to touch his hand. Mel was so happy for me - she gave me a huge hug and one of her joyous smiles.

And then about a month later, I received a CD of the show in the mail. Mel had burned it for me, put photographs taken at the show on the sleeve, and wrote the following inscription: "This concert was burned expressedly for the Comtesse DeSpair ('cos she was there at the show and got to touch His hand). Do not steal it, or you will be very sorry!" She credited the sleeve design to "Hobags On Sabbatical" and wrote "You are weeping, You do not like the sleeve, You are weeping, You do not like the sleeve, You are weeping..." on it. It's so quintessentially Mel: funny, witty, and so very kind. That damn little disk means so much to me now... and when I hear the "Stretch, stretch" part I am reminded of that huge hug and smile afterwards.

Oh, Mel - why did you have to leave us so soon??? :(

The Tearstained Comtesse

This is a wonderful picture of Mel - I will have to find out if I can get a larger version because this is exactly how I want to remember her. I have the same shirt that she is wearing - because Mel bought one for me in the U.K. and sent it to me because I had casually mentioned I wish I could find one. That's the kind of person she was: unfailingly generous, incredibly thoughtful. When she made Morrissey candles for her friends, she used circa 2006 images for everyone - except me. She knew I didn't fancy modern Morrissey as much as Smiths-era Morrissey, so she specially made one for me with 1985 Morrissey on it. That's the kind of thoughtfulness that she always exhibited.

Every day something reminds me of her... and I tear up again. This morning it was "November Spawned a Monster" coming on shuffle. At the Portland show during the Oye Esteban show, Mel and I were up against the stage together. I kept trying to touch Morrissey's hand but being quite short, I couldn't quite reach him... then during the middle part of "Monster" he stretched out as far as he could, and I stretched out as far as I could towards him, and he sang, "Stretch, stretch" to me as I finally was able to touch his hand. Mel was so happy for me - she gave me a huge hug and one of her joyous smiles.

And then about a month later, I received a CD of the show in the mail. Mel had burned it for me, put photographs taken at the show on the sleeve, and wrote the following inscription: "This concert was burned expressedly for the Comtesse DeSpair ('cos she was there at the show and got to touch His hand). Do not steal it, or you will be very sorry!" She credited the sleeve design to "Hobags On Sabbatical" and wrote "You are weeping, You do not like the sleeve, You are weeping, You do not like the sleeve, You are weeping..." on it. It's so quintessentially Mel: funny, witty, and so very kind. That damn little disk means so much to me now... and when I hear the "Stretch, stretch" part I am reminded of that huge hug and smile afterwards.

Oh, Mel - why did you have to leave us so soon??? :(

The Tearstained Comtesse

:tears::tears:

I didn't know her, but I was saddened to hear the news of her passing. From what I've heard she was a wonderful human being who seems to have touched many of you. I'm glad the news was passed on to Moz and that he was able to say something for her.

I don't know, but I'm sure his words brought comfort.

Was she at the last Dallas show about a year ago? I don't really recall but she seems familiar.

That's a very nice note from Morrissey. I don't know of any artists who really reach out like that.

This goes on to prove that he really does pay attention to the crowd and care a lot his fans.

Back
Top Bottom