Morrissey Central “MORRISSEY 2023” (December 8, 2022)

Studio time is booked for January and February 2023 when Morrissey will record his new album WITHOUT MUSIC THE WORLD DIES. The recording will be the fifth Morrissey album produced by ten Grammy winner Joe Chiccarelli , and the band continues to be Jesse Tobias, Gustavo Manzur, Alain Whyte, Juan Galeano and Brendan Buckley. The 12 songs were written by Morrissey with Alain Whyte, Jesse Tobias, Gustavo Manzur. There is no record label as yet for the project, and ways to attain global distribution are being researched.

Morrissey commented:

"The songs, of course, are magnificent, and even the relentless difficulties we have experienced recently are not enough to kill us off. "

Morrissey's last album release was 'I Am Not A Dog on a Chain' in March 2020, which charted at #1 in both Poland and Scotland, #3 in France and England.

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news - one of his best ever album titles, solo or Smith, and certainly the first one that doesn't make you cringe since Years of Refusal. If it comes out in 2024, it'll be his most prolific half decade of albums since the early 90s. Can't wait to hear new Morrissey/Whyte songs for the first time in about 15 years.

I agree with much of what you’re saying. But I don’t think your ‘weird uncle’ has shaped your life as much or in the same way as Morrissey has.

I wasn’t asking for you to justify anything. Just saying as long as we’re going to remember Morrissey’s ‘bad’, we should also remember the reasons why, because of him, why we are here, and I don’t just mean, here on solo.

btw, Morrissey is ‘scum’, he said so himself. And I don’t think we’d want him any other way.

He's too unkind to himself. He isn't scum, he's just human like the rest of us.

Great news - one of his best ever album titles, solo or Smith, and certainly the first one that doesn't make you cringe since Years of Refusal. If it comes out in 2024, it'll be his most prolific half decade of albums since the early 90s. Can't wait to hear new Morrissey/Whyte songs for the first time in about 15 years.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to hear Alain's contributions. I'm glad that Morrissey has had some consistency with Boz and Alain. It'd be so weird without at least one of them being involved in his music.

Seems odd to announce this but everything seems a bit odd when it comes to Morrissey these days. What is happening with BOT then? Is it being released or with Rebels be the only release we get of new material? Are we still in the dark? If so, rats! rats! rats!

Exactly. I think that it's great that even folks that have problems with his ramblings are here to generally support him. But they don't shut up about the controversial parts as Morrissey himself wouldn't do (as in "always saying things against the grain"). And still they are here because of his legacy. So I guess music and art brings people together.

But it's important to criticise things and have a healthy discussion, where its due.

Sure. But has there ever been a ‘healthy discussion’ here on solo in regards to what
some consider Morrissey’s faults? Have the years of constant criticisms and venting,
sorry , ‘healthy discussions’ have they ever solved what they consider to be Morrissey’s bad behavior?
Who has benefited from the constant criticisms directed at Morrissey posted here on solo? It’s obviously he hasn’t.

I’m not arguing with you, I’m just asking an honest question.

redacted loves my posts, lol

Last edited:
Sure. But has there ever been a ‘healthy discussion’ here on solo in regards to what
some consider Morrissey’s faults? Have the years of constant criticisms and venting,
sorry , ‘healthy discussions’ have they ever solved what they consider to be Morrissey’s bad behavior?
Who has benefited from the constant criticisms directed at Morrissey posted here on solo? It’s obviously he hasn’t.

I’m not arguing with you, I’m just asking an honest question.

I think there has been healthy discussions, especially as time has gone by. There's healthy discussion taking place right now.

You could also ask the reverse question though: who has benefitted from the years of sycophancy/uncritical support directed at Morrissey (I'm not saying that you personally are a sycophant, btw, just to avoid any silliness between the both of us).

I hope someone, somewhere is listening to John Shuttleworth tonight 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Moz is no different than he has always been. Saying things against the grain. Voicing ideas and points of view that are against the orthodoxy and received opinion. If you have grown to 'hate' that about him - maybe you need to question what you have become as you have grown older, and your ability to tolerate difference, or dare I say it, your ability to tolerate diversity of opinion.
In a way you are right
But I will quote a friend " Something seems to have happened between 2007 to 2009 that changed him. He is still the same person, but the negative aspects about him have been enhanced and the more positive things degraded.
As an artist, he is no way the artist, he once was He is lazy with words when he never was. he is lazy with the artwork when he never was. He used to give nearly everything to his art now he doesn't"
can't fecking argue with that

In a way you are right
But I will quote a friend " Something seems to have happened between 2007 to 2009 that changed him. He is still the same person, but the negative aspects about him have been enhanced and the more positive things degraded.
As an artist, he is no way the artist, he once was He is lazy with words when he never was. he is lazy with the artwork when he never was. He used to give nearly everything to his art now he doesn't"
can't fecking argue with that

I think I'd agree with that (although I think it started happening around 2013-2014), but I think I'd also add that Morrissey seems to have lost his more gentle nature, and has given in to the more bitter parts of his personality. The bitter parts have always been there, and maybe it's just age and the passing of time, but it's just so sad to see him become more angry and more bitter, when he should be enjoying his life and his success after a 40 year career, rather than starting fights.

I don't think he does, I think he still believes they're missing out and being difficult by not working with him.

I'm kind of hoping that manifests as "screw record companies!" and leads to self publishing
when people act like M in public, they are different in private He is the type to regret as much as self-praise
As he said in better days he thinks " So deeply, so bleakly all the time About EVERYTHING
(Who I am, how I am, why I am)" As a mate, I quote too much said " The artist always hates who he was the day before yesterday. That's what keeps them moving"

I think there has been healthy discussions, especially as time has gone by. There's healthy discussion taking place right now.

I guess in part I would define ‘healthy discussions’ as those that come to some conclusion where both sides don’t need to address the same topic over and over again. I don’t consider venting on old topics healthy or beneficial to anyone. They won’t change each other’s views and they sure in hell won’t change Morrissey.

You could also ask the reverse question though: who has benefitted from the years of sycophancy/uncritical support directed at Morrissey (I'm not saying that you personally are a sycophant, btw, just to avoid any silliness between the both of us).

Well first let’s both come to the understanding
that Morrissey doesn’t visit solo in order to get
advice. I don’t see proof of that.

So when you say … ‘years of sycophancy/uncritical support directed at Morrissey’ do you mean from people at his shows? People that buy his records? Because that’s not solo.

Last edited:
Yeah, yeah every new album is yuge, the very best, greatest thing he's ever done. He's always so convinced, so proud, shouting it to the rooftops! Still, his career is on the slide due mostly to his own unwise actions. But he's a victim of the lefties! It's not his fault. Others are conspiring to hold him back. The press is always unfair. His record companies don't promote him enough.

Mr. Morrissey I have but one question: Where are the hits!? It's awfully hard to stop an honest-to-God monster hit. I seem to remember you've written a few in the past. How about upping your game?

I guess in part I would define ‘healthy discussions’ as those that come to some conclusion where both sides don’t need to address the same topic over and over again. I don’t consider venting on old topics healthy or beneficial to anyone. They won’t change each other’s views and they sure in hell won’t change Morrissey.

Well first let’s both come to the understanding
that Morrissey doesn’t visit solo in order to get
advice. I don’t see proof of that.

So when you say … ‘years of sycophancy/uncritical support directed at Morrissey’ do you mean from people at his shows? People that buy his records? Because that’s not solo.

No, I mean people on here who post uncritically about Morrissey, in the face of some of his worst comments.

I think I'd agree with that (although I think it started happening around 2013-2014), but I think I'd also add that Morrissey seems to have lost his more gentle nature, and has given in to the more bitter parts of his personality. The bitter parts have always been there, and maybe it's just age and the passing of time, but it's just so sad to see him become more angry and more bitter, when he should be enjoying his life and his success after a 40 year career, rather than starting fights.

Sounds accurate, at least in terms of crappy album art. YATQ, ROTT and YOR all had professional cover images/fonts associated with them. WPINOYB in 2014 had the first issue with the clone stamp, then everything kind of went downhill from there. Sam using shitty fonts and passing it off as artwork, etc.

No, I mean people on here who post uncritically about Morrissey, in the face of some of his worst comments.

Ok, but then you would need to prove that he comes to solo for all the ‘sycophancy/uncritical support’ that supposedly outweighs the negative criticism here on solo.

I don’t believe he does. That’s why I don’t believe the negative criticisms directed at Morrissey here on solo will help or change him or benefit anyone in any healthy positive way.

Last edited:
Sounds accurate, at least in terms of crappy album art. YATQ, ROTT and YOR all had professional cover images/fonts associated with them. WPINOYB in 2014 had the first issue with the clone stamp, then everything kind of went downhill from there. Sam using shitty fonts and passing it off as artwork, etc.
I really like the Low artwork, and the effort that went into releasing a nice vinyl boxset and the nice coloured LPs...and then Dog happened with that artwork.

Ok, but then you would need to prove that he comes to solo for all the ‘sycophancy/uncritical support’ that supposedly outweighs the negative criticism here on solo.

I don’t believe he does. That’s why I don’t believe the negative criticisms directed at Morrissey here on solo will help or change him or benefit anyone in any healthy positive way.

I never said he does come here?

Yes in terms of songs I would agree with your timeline.. Maybe the rot set in around 2008 but the transformation ended about 2014. I know for a fact he had a few breakdowns on and off from 2008. Quite a bad one around 2013/2014. That was the thing that ended the tour KY was on.
Either way, its f***ing heartbreaking mate, when you see young M and you think of the one we have now. Time is cruel AF

Yeah, yeah every new album is yuge, the very best, greatest thing he's ever done. He's always so convinced, so proud, shouting it to the rooftops! Still, his career is on the slide due mostly to his own unwise actions. But he's a victim of the lefties! It's not his fault. Others are conspiring to hold him back. The press is always unfair. His record companies don't promote him enough.

Mr. Morrissey I have but one question: Where are the hits!? It's awfully hard to stop an honest-to-God monster hit. I seem to remember you've written a few in the past. How about upping your game?

Unfortunately he doesn’t visit this site. So your question, like all our posts, will be lost
in the echo chambers of solo. It’s loony to believe otherwise.

Last edited:
Tags
without music the world dies

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom