Morrissey Central "YOU KNOW I COULDN’T LAST" (July 26, 2023)

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course you do, not just with my posts.
You can be blindly infatuated with someone, but beyond a certain point it becomes ridiculous. No offense . it's the middle of the night. Good night

Huh? I think you do need a rest.

I know all that. But you’ve said, “women aren’t good at rock.” Is “songstress” supposed to be some other category? If so, you’re just splitting hairs. She did make albums that were variously reggae, torch songs, and Irish folk, but she also made rock albums. You’re sharing songs from them.
I see the fact that you willingly engage with Baz followed by Johnnie Ray as a point to be acknowledged, as the dead end of the conclusions achieved with these two particular interactions really aligns rather elegantly with your general stance of patient and composed nihilism :lbf:

I know all that. But you’ve said, “women aren’t good at rock.” Is “songstress” supposed to be some other category? If so, you’re just splitting hairs. She did make albums that were variously reggae, torch songs, and Irish folk, but she also made rock albums. You’re sharing songs from them.
I loved her rock stuff. She was a beautiful exception, there may be some others but yes, she was great.

Gahhhhhh!

Sinead didn’t kill herself because of the music industry! This, once again, is all about HIM. Also, “fat” — please. Who has used “fat” as a pejorative more than Morrissey? And just like how he couldn’t fathom the mother of a Moors Murder victim never getting over the death of her child, he doesn’t even mention the death of Sinead’s child. He has fooled you (and himself) into thinking he’s deep and caring.

He should have just kept his mouth shut. He has no relationship to her. He’s using her death to complain about the music industry. Again. And while I agree that the music industry sucks, Morrissey is just so difficult, unlikeable, egotistical, selfish, and unwilling to play the game we all have to play that he screws himself over in his career and his personal life over and over.

Every eulogy he gives for someone who has passed is ALWAYS, ultimately, about himself.

He’s comparing his feeling that record companies are conspiring to keep him from getting a hit record and assuming that was Sinead’s biggest problem as well.

Sinead was persecuted in a much more real way by the Catholic Church, the patriarchy, her family and community. Morrissey comparing his self-inflicted trouble with his record companies to that when she’s just died is disgusting. He goes on and on about the record industry and the fans — it goes on so long, it’s clear it’s not about Sinead at all.

He titled this “you know I couldn’t last” — I could write an essay on the various ways that is similarly offensive. For one thing, that song includes smears against Andy, who also just died and got a similar self-centered eulogy from him. “You know I couldn’t last” is about everyone wanting to exploit him for money, which doesn’t apply here at all.

His reference to “cancer culture” was also irritating. Andy just passed from cancer. “Cancel culture” is a dog whistle phrase usually used by the right, like Trump. It refers to the world being rightly outraged at the racist and offensive stuff Morrissey can’t stop saying.

Did the record companies and fans even turn their backs on Sinead? It seemed to me she stopped putting out music and stepped out of the spotlight of her own volition, due more to her mindset and mental issues.
Respect. f***ing nailed it.

Sinead's last album for Chrysalis was released in 1994.She was not with them for 10 years.
After the SNL/USA anthem "outrages",she was pretty much cancelled.
I recommend you watch the Nothing Compares documentary.View attachment 93892
Not according to Wikipedia and Discogs and they certainly did not drop her after her album that sold 7 million copies. Her last album with Chrysalis was 1997 and it was a best of, there were some inbetween, the first album was 1987 = 10 years

Ha! These names like icon and legend. Morrissey is right about this. If you think these labels grant immortality, think again.

His reference to “cancer culture” was also irritating. Andy just passed from cancer.
There is so much truth, wisdom and insighr in your post and I agree with all of it, but I had to isolate this part because I wanted to say it, then didn't, and I am just glad someone did.
Morrissey is a monster, this is the final straw, there is not any room left for the benefit of the doubt. He calls people sheep and acts like he has the absolute truth all the time, but it is this very ignorance he counts on and benefits from, from his adoring fans who are really just too stupid to see through it. He lies, manipulates, gaslights and is just unbelievably cruel, and I am sure he is laughing about all the headlines he managed to get off of this woman's death.
It's true that the music business did not kill Sinead, she had countless personal demons she struggled with and was quite open about it and she fought for as long as she could. Even if this was not suicide, the kind of trauma she endured would affect her body in such a way that she would develop medical problems that likely would end her life.

Yes, he's managed to make all the headlines about her death about him.
The only positive is that he keeps making it worse for himself. "I want a major label to sign me and major labels are evil which is why Sinead O'Connor is now dead."--Morrissey. He is so much like Trump, he simply cannot shut up or change his behavior and he is finally being held accountable. The one thing he truly loves; getting a lot of money to release his songs, he can no longer do and may never do again.

Never a truer word from Morrissey. Her career in the big time was over when she tore up the popes picture. Her time spent in a Magdalene Laundry at age 14 in part prompted her actions. She donated a house in Limerick to help young people in recovery. Her heart was always in the right place. The cowards in the media and politics who snickered at her mental illness are the ones now lauding her "iconic " status. The same cowards tried to close the case on the near 800 children buried in a sewerage system in Tuam. The same cowards have "no comment" on children dying of heart attacks, myocarditis and blood clots, since 2021, despite the official statistics on excess deaths from the Central Statistics office. Nothing. Crickets. The same cowards "lose" children in care, including her own son. The abuse continues by the lying "lamestreamers". You do not question the official narrative or attempt to shine a light on it. It will end your career and possibly your life. I grew up listening to her haunting voice and though I did not agree with her views on everything, I admired her courage in being true to herself. Ar Dheis De go raibh si.
I think she was always really clear that the Catholic church was a huge problem and a malevolent force in Ireland.

There is so much truth, wisdom and insighr in your post and I agree with all of it, but I had to isolate this part because I wanted to say it, then didn't, and I am just glad someone did.
Morrissey is a monster, this is the final straw, there is not any room left for the benefit of the doubt. He calls people sheep and acts like he has the absolute truth all the time, but it is this very ignorance he counts on and benefits from, from his adoring fans who are really just too stupid to see through it. He lies, manipulates, gaslights and is just unbelievably cruel, and I am sure he is laughing about all the headlines he managed to get off of this woman's death.
It's true that the music business did not kill Sinead, she had countless personal demons she struggled with and was quite open about it and she fought for as long as she could. Even if this was not suicide, the kind of trauma she endured would affect her body in such a way that she would develop medical problems that likely would end her life.
Once you know, you can’t un-know.

Morrissey once more giving his incisive and perspicacious view on the passing of Ms. O'Connor. His wise, illuminating words ring so devastatingly true in their wonderful, biting wit. He's no fool. Of course he knows only too well the price of individuality or vulnerability in a world culture of supposed diversity. It's one's unique personality that elevates one from that terminal sea, to heights of, dare I venture, grandeur.
Morrissey's own song in The Smiths 'Paint A Vulgar Picture' trod this very same situation to honest (to bleak and darkly black) effect. One of his touchstones Oscar Wilde was praised as a clever playwright and writer in his day, right up until his fall into prison and exile. So he knows the public's facetious hypocrisy in very personal detail and/or experience.
It's true that the public cared less, or didn't even know about, Sinead's existence before her worldwide hit single penned by Prince. But how quickly that adulation turned once she refused to Koe-tow to the masses sullen acceptance of life. Good on her for following her own star to wherever that path was leading her. A poet's curse is having to wander in the night's darkness, but their blessing is that their first to see the dawn. Sinead saw the dawn we've yet to even realise, and that's the blessing she held onto when she left us.
Walk on brave woman. May the road rise up to meet you and amy the wind always be at your back, because you've deserved your Grace.

The only positive is that he keeps making it worse for himself. "I want a major label to sign me and major labels are evil which is why Sinead O'Connor is now dead."--Morrissey. He is so much like Trump, he simply cannot shut up or change his behavior and he is finally being held accountable. The one thing he truly loves; getting a lot of money to release his songs, he can no longer do and may never do again.
I hope he gets canceled for good and slinks back under his rock

Morrissey once more giving his incisive and perspicacious view on the passing of Ms. O'Connor. His wise, illuminating words ring so devastatingly true in their wonderful, biting wit. He's no fool. Of course he knows only too well the price of individuality or vulnerability in a world culture of supposed diversity. It's one's unique personality that elevates one from that terminal sea, to heights of, dare I venture, grandeur.
Morrissey's own song in The Smiths 'Paint A Vulgar Picture' trod this very same situation to honest (to bleak and darkly black) effect. One of his touchstones Oscar Wilde was praised as a clever playwright and writer in his day, right up until his fall into prison and exile. So he knows the public's facetious hypocrisy in very personal detail and/or experience.
It's true that the public cared less, or didn't even know about, Sinead's existence before her worldwide hit single penned by Prince. But how quickly that adulation turned once she refused to Koe-tow to the masses sullen acceptance of life. Good on her for following her own star to wherever that path was leading her. A poet's curse is having to wander in the night's darkness, but their blessing is that their first to see the dawn. Sinead saw the dawn we've yet to even realise, and that's the blessing she held onto when she left us.
Walk on brave woman. May the road rise up to meet you and amy the wind always be at your back, because you've deserved your Grace.

SPOT f***ING ON. 💯

Sinead battled many demons and many losses including her son to suicide a year ago. As I have heard she never bounced back from that (who the hell could?) and her last media post was about her son. My friend Angela lost her daughter suddenly and I swear it wasn’t even a year until she was diagnosed with cancer and died shortly after. Angela had mourned herself to sickness and then straight to death. I think with all the hardships Sinead dealt with, her very fragile mental illness, the death of her son just did her in. Whether by suicide or illness, it’s all the same.

Wonder what Sinead thought about Mr Morrissey and his song apparently blaming Muslims for Notre Dame without any evidence at all??

She'd probably have thought what an obnoxious self righteous prick and he can stick his sympathy up his arse.

This letter is an own goal. Among people who are not fans of Mr Morrissey it seems to be seem as a pathetic gesture and another example of him making other people's tragedies about himself in an embarrassingly self awareness lacking manner.

Cockroach.
Go ahead and wonder what someone else thinks of someone else's thoughts when one of those people are dead. Knock yourself out.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom