Why Morrissey Is Dead To Me, By Gene's Martin Rossiter - The Quietus

Quietus article.

Why Morrissey Is Dead To Me, By Gene's Martin Rossiter - The Quietus

Morrissey was an inspiration to Martin Rossiter, whose band Gene share many fans with the former Smith. But after years of right wing blethering from Moz, Martin has had enough

"I feel ashamed and embarrassed that I quietly remained a Morrissey apologist for many years."

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope everyone is enjoying the phony manic defense machine at work. If only this much energy was expelled to project him as being a decent human being then he could have his goddam record deal so you could keep taking your cruises on his dime. Stop abusing your cash cow you energy vampires.

WTF? Who are you talking about? Change your dealer pls.

Moz loves this, being hated by so many. He must be sat somewhere with a smirky smile finally living out the outcast fantasy of his. An old black and white movie on the tv and his favourite sweets.

Am I the only person who couldn't give a shit about Morrissey's political leanings? I'm in it for the music.

I really love Morrissey and have tried myself through the years to be an apologist for these ideas I do not support at all. At one point recently I theorized he's been held hostage by a crazy parent who has hijacked his written statements because he never seems to speak them on stage or in interviews, it's always written. But Ocaams Razor and all that, he must just have blinders on when it comes to equality and decency. I start to wonder dark thoughts like does he surround himself with Hispanic band members as a sort of "See! I'm not racist!" and I have to stop because that energy is what fuels the racist fire. I still love him though. That's all you can do for someone lost.
Um, I think it's more to do with pandering to the large Cult of Moz that has sprung up South of the border, and in Los Angeles than any kind of conspiracy theorist racist cover up.

6107244f7aa1b0d3f03d3efe7ed49539590e6f12e639e744cc3735f7dc78b05f.jpg

Right then. He has intentionally cultivated all those Latino fans to shield his racism. OK, got it.

Rifke laughed at the Manchester Bombing and called me a nutjob for asking her to explain why :/

A perfect write up by Martin Rossiter which describes exactly how I feel as well.
http://thequietus.com/articles/22503-morrissey-islamophobia-martin-rossiter-gene

Haha.Lol
Poor matin made his name as a very bad Morrissey impersonator.
Writing songs about his hero , trying his best to become "friends " .
only the most twee indie fan liked Martin and his band . They were bland and without edge , style or genius . Emotionless somgs for the "indie " kids
For all his hard work all martin got was a joint interview with Moz in LA for the NME. Moz didnt want to do it he was talked into it , and a slot in the foyer at meltdown - " No your place " the message .
Martin, has always been "right on ", Morrissey never has .
Martin is a mutt . For all his polite political words, he treats women like shit , doesnt pay hardly anything towards his childrens upbringing and is a slob but I guess as long as you vote green that's ok
Morrissey won't miss a moments sleep over this article. He always thought Martin was a very bad joke . Most of us uses to piss ourselves laughing at Martin trying and failing to give be like moz .

Which just goes to prove you're a right-wing troll here to cause trouble. ANY Smiths or Morrissey fan knows who Martin Rossiter is. The fact you don't shows you for what you are. A musically illiterate shit-stirrer.

In your little indie bubble most smiths or Morrissey fans don't know about Gene ,it's not 1996 .
Fewer still actually like the dread little try hard band .

I'm not unsympathetic to what you are saying, but Morrissey is not your wayward teenage child. He's not going to find the right path just because you keep on loving him.
I'm aware of that and I'm not stupid enough to waste too much time on it, but I certainly feel there's evidence he can turn it around since so many do care enough to continue logging in to this ancient gathering place to shake their damn head at his behavior. You and Peter and maybe even Davidt and Martin Rossiter ffs all must love him to a degree to keep trying to point out to him that he's "doing it wrong" so I don't feel alone in this sentiment.

I'm aware of that and I'm not stupid enough to waste too much time on it, but I certainly feel there's evidence he can turn it around since so many do care enough to continue logging in to this ancient gathering place to shake their damn head at his behavior. You and Peter and maybe even Davidt and Martin Rossiter ffs all must love him to a degree to keep trying to point out to him that he's "doing it wrong" so I don't feel alone in this sentiment.

If THAT is love... VIVA HATE.

Which just goes to prove you're a right-wing troll here to cause trouble. ANY Smiths or Morrissey fan knows who Martin Rossiter is. The fact you don't shows you for what you are. A musically illiterate shit-stirrer.
Exactly right. Martin Rossiter and Gene are fantastic. I saw them in concert in Dublin during their 'Drawn To The Deep End' tour and it was like a really excellent Moz concert. Better in fact because Gene always had to prove themselves. They never got rich or complacent like Moz did. By the way Rossiter's solo album 'The Defenestration of St.Martin' is excellent, especially the song 'Drop Anchor'.
I am GUTTED that Rozzer feels this way about Moz. I take his words very seriously and am now wondering myself if I have unconsciously been an apologist for Morrissey. It was always socially dangerous to be a Moz fan. Now more than ever.

It amazes me that people are still entertaining the idea that Morrissey didn't write the statement. That said, if you want the boring copy-paste liberal response to a tragedy go listen to Bono and U2. Get used to the attacks folks! It's just part of living in the big city. If you kill your enemies they win. Coexist.:rofl:

Um, I think it's more to do with pandering to the large Cult of Moz that has sprung up South of the border, and in Los Angeles than any kind of conspiracy theorist racist cover up.

This. He has no problems with Mexicans, as he has a large fan base there. If there were hordes of British Muslims wandering around with quiffs and Morrissey T-Shirts and going to his shows, he'd probably support them too. There aren't, so he doesn't.

Morrissey is correct. Until the day, that those of you who are attacking his statement, start putting the facts in front of your overly-sensitive feelings, you'll be facing many, many more Manchesters. Until you face up to what you're uncomfortable confronting, you'll be an accessory to the continued violence.

PS - I don't know who this Martin Rossiter, or Gene, is either.

'The person that committed this atrocity is as much Muslim as I am Martian'.

Could someone please explain why the person who committed this atrocity is not a Muslim?

If not does this mean that Martin Rossiter is from Mars?

'The person that committed this atrocity is as much Muslim as I am Martian'.

Could someone please explain why the person who committed this atrocity is not a Muslim?

If not does this mean that Martin Rossiter is from Mars?

Clearly it's a typo.

Am I the only person who couldn't give a shit about Morrissey's political leanings? I'm in it for the music.

Obviously not, has said this on the previous: "I've said it before, but I'll say it again, I don't care too much about Morrissey's political leanings - it isn't why I listen to his music."

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom