Why Morrissey Is Dead To Me, By Gene's Martin Rossiter - The Quietus

Quietus article.

Why Morrissey Is Dead To Me, By Gene's Martin Rossiter - The Quietus

Morrissey was an inspiration to Martin Rossiter, whose band Gene share many fans with the former Smith. But after years of right wing blethering from Moz, Martin has had enough

"I feel ashamed and embarrassed that I quietly remained a Morrissey apologist for many years."

Last edited by a moderator:
It amazes me that people are still entertaining the idea that Morrissey didn't write the statement. That said, if you want the boring copy-paste liberal response to a tragedy go listen to Bono and U2. Get used to the attacks folks! It's just part of living in the big city. If you kill your enemies they win. Coexist.:rofl:

"Part of living in the big city".... are you for real? Tell that to the parents of the 8 year old ripped apart by a nail bomb. f***ing hell.

Haha.Lol
Poor matin made his name as a very bad Morrissey impersonator.
Writing songs about his hero , trying his best to become "friends " .
only the most twee indie fan liked Martin and his band . They were bland and without edge , style or genius . Emotionless somgs for the "indie " kids
For all his hard work all martin got was a joint interview with Moz in LA for the NME. Moz didnt want to do it he was talked into it , and a slot in the foyer at meltdown - " No your place " the message .
Martin, has always been "right on ", Morrissey never has .
Martin is a mutt . For all his polite political words, he treats women like shit , doesnt pay hardly anything towards his childrens upbringing and is a slob but I guess as long as you vote green that's ok
Morrissey won't miss a moments sleep over this article. He always thought Martin was a very bad joke . Most of us uses to piss ourselves laughing at Martin trying and failing to give be like moz .

Wtf? If you could manage to put a proper sentence together, than maybe we could begin to understand what the hell you are trying to say!

Why should Morrissey pay lip service to a religion(not a race) who readily want homosexuals dead?

It's irrelevant and feeble to hide behind the "left-wing"/"right-wing squabble. Morrissey has simply come up with one childish/superficial/daft attention-seeking statement after the other. And, mostly, insensitive. The Utoya statement a mere few hours after the massacre should have signalled the official end of his career. And, I'll say it again, him playing sanctimonious about how a politician should react to a terrorist attack is an utter JOKE given Morrissey's own form in the wake of terorrist attacks (Breivik as well as the IRA or the ALF).

Credit to Martin Rossiter also for pointing out the sheer cowardice of Morrissey. Because after all the semantic onanism of his statements, he's still refraining from saying "what everybody else is thinking".
Gowon Mozza, move that generous chin of yours and say it yourself.

I wrote the post you've quoting. Who's hiding? I'm certainly not. If you understand what I said, you'll know I was talking about Morrissey's personality - I wasn't defending his statement.

I do disagree with you, though, I don't think he's attention seeking - he's lashing out in anger at what he thinks is the true case. He either doesn't know or care whether he's being insensitive, nor whether we like him or not. Speaking the truth - as he sees it - exceeds everything else. I believe this is key to understanding Morrissey and why says the things he does...

No it's not. It's confirmation bias from a Nazi wanker. f*** off.
Why des have concerns about immigration automatically make you a 'Nazi.' You are so f***en juvenile, grow the f*** up. Having an opposin g viw on immigration does not automatically make one a Nazi, this is virtual signalling lunacy of a 3 hear old.

Now is the time for Johnny Marr, Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce to reunite with a new singer. Reform The Smiths. I remember Andy Rourke saying in a You Tube documentary about the band that they couldn't do it without Moz. That's just not true anymore.Not now. Morrissey has left the Smiths, as Moz once said to Andy when Andy was struggling with Drugs.Heartless fairy that he is.(I still love you Moz, even now.)

It's true. They don't need him anymore, and they could do it. Johnny's guitar with Andy's bass. Joyce on drums. Even I don't want to see Morrissey anymore and I have been a fan since the beginning in 83' or whatever.They could do a new album. Johnny could do the lyrics. He can take over on lyrics and vocal arangments now. I know he can, and they can do all their old stuff. I know there can be a Smiths again now that Moz has been in the headlines for the wrong reasons.

I have heard a lot of you say that you are done with Morrissey now, but its the Smiths that were so powerful for us in the first place. The band. The Lads. Are you with me on this Benny? It would hardly matter who they got to sing now. I'll do it for f***s sake. Also Morrissey should admit that he is gay. Just a good old fashioned gay guy. He should do it right now for his Karma. f*** what Mom thinks. Peace and Love all. Roger O

A little overly defensive, are we? The leftist doth protest too much.

This my friend is what the Left have been reduced to. They are all for 'diversity' of opinion until it doesn't match theirs. They they are reduced to virtually signalling and name calling. They vow to fight oppression but they want to oppress YOUR views. It is fascistic in tone yet the irony of it of course passes them by.

Peter is a child in a man's body, if you come on to his hateful online creche and DARE to disagree with him he is reduces to throwing f-bombs, hailing you as a Nazi and DEMANDING that you leave. Mature isn't it?

Morrissey is correct. Until the day, that those of you who are attacking his statement, start putting the facts in front of your overly-sensitive feelings, you'll be facing many, many more Manchesters. Until you face up to what you're uncomfortable confronting, you'll be an accessory to the continued violence.

PS - I don't know who this Martin Rossiter, or Gene, is either.

I agree with you about Moz.

I do know quite recently who Martin Rossister is and I like Gene.
What is a bit disappointing to me, is that this statement from Moz makes him saying now, that Moz is dead for him.
When he also says there were more statements from Moz he has doubts about or disliked.
Why did he wait that long if it is so important to him? And, the other statements of Moz seemed to me to be far more worrying. At least the one after Utoya.
If he didn't mention the other statements I would have thought, well fair deal, he doesn't like him anymore.
But now, I don't know anymore.

Bull ox blood wacker tit inn nn it! That is not backstage at the Troubadour in LA. Uncle Steve would never be in America with Marty, let alone LA. America is not the World.

I reckon sometimes what Uncle Steve claims as his Mexican LA gang. Boyle Heights, Florencia, White Fence, 38th street..I don't know. I think Brown Familia is the closest to Malibu.

Last edited:
Which just goes to prove you're a right-wing troll here to cause trouble. ANY Smiths or Morrissey fan knows who Martin Rossiter is. The fact you don't shows you for what you are. A musically illiterate shit-stirrer.

I've been a massive fan since 1984 and the only thing I know about Martin is that based off the article, he's a weak c***. Get off your high horse Mr Music Snob. And grow some nuts, obviously you're a weak liberal pansy by automatically typing "oh you're a right wing troll" while sitting down to pee.

Salman Abedi's father fled to the UK because he was an opponent of the Kadaffi regime. The UK was so kind and welcoming as to take him in and offer him protection and a new life. His son killed 22 people as a way of saying 'thank you' for all the chances he got in England that he would never have had in Libia.
So yes, immigration is partly to blame for what happened because Abedi's father was a member of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, an Islamist organisation. Why on earth do you allow Islamists to come and live in your country? Everyone knows Islamism is a vile fascist religious doctrine (and please note that I wrote 'Islamism' and not Islam). So I fully understand and support people who want a stricter immigration policy.

And Martin Rossiter must be absolutely delusional if he thinks that Abedi is not a Muslim. Of course, he is. Born and raised one. Just like the terrorists of Paris, Brussels, Nice, Berlin and so on.

Bull ox blood wacker tit inn nn it! That is not backstage at the Troubadour in LA. Uncle Steve would never be in America with Marty, let alone LA. America is not the World.

I reckon sometimes what would Uncle Steve claim as his Mexican LA gang. Boyle Heights, Florencia, White Fence, 38th street..I don't know. I think Brown Familia is the closest to Malibu.

Is your Doctor on holiday? Your post makes even less sense than normal.

Exactly right. Martin Rossiter and Gene are fantastic. I saw them in concert in Dublin during their 'Drawn To The Deep End' tour and it was like a really excellent Moz concert. Better in fact because Gene always had to prove themselves. They never got rich or complacent like Moz did. By the way Rossiter's solo album 'The Defenestration of St.Martin' is excellent, especially the song 'Drop Anchor'.
I am GUTTED that Rozzer feels this way about Moz. I take his words very seriously and am now wondering myself if I have unconsciously been an apologist for Morrissey. It was always socially dangerous to be a Moz fan. Now more than ever.

" I take his words very seriously and am now wondering myself if I have unconsciously been an apologist for Morrissey. "

No Acton, that's bullshit.
I know you are a great music lover and have Moz and The Smiths in high regards but you named a !of of great other music too and have been critical of Moz but always with argumentation, and still with interest in whatever music he made. And witty and funny.
That is not like an apologist for Moz!

I sense you ARE a bit disappointed, maybe because of Moz or Martin Rossiter but you make your own mind up and do not get disappointed by what they supposedly said.
It is all secondary to the music.
Cheers!

Has anyone asked what the various other tribute acts to Morrissey and The Smiths think of his latest faux-pas?

In other news Rick Witter from Shed Seven has also denounced Morrissey as a has-been.

Last edited:
I hope everyone is enjoying the phony manic defense machine at work. If only this much energy was expelled to project him as being a decent human being then he could have his goddam record deal so you could keep taking your cruises on his dime. Stop abusing your cash cow you energy vampires.

" If only this much energy was expelled to project him as being a decent human being ".
It would be spilled energy cause I think you know it would be boring. He doesn't want to be a decent human being.

He wants to get into the area where it is dangerous, I mean artistically. Where you are confronting yourself with something, a challenge that needs a completely other approach then that of a decent human being.

Maybe he doesn't have a very interesting life as he said (some envy him though, 5 star hotels and blah blah) but his fantasy, imagination is sublimated in his songs.

This my friend is what the Left have been reduced to. They are all for 'diversity' of opinion until it doesn't match theirs. They they are reduced to virtually signalling and name calling. They vow to fight oppression but they want to oppress YOUR views. It is fascistic in tone yet the irony of it of course passes them by.

Peter is a child in a man's body, if you come on to his hateful online creche and DARE to disagree with him he is reduces to throwing f-bombs, hailing you as a Nazi and DEMANDING that you leave. Mature isn't it?

Settle down there, Liberace.

If I say 'dude' or 'peeps' you going to hex with one of those plastic rubies?:confused:

No, she will bewitch you from a distance putting needles in a puppet. Beware buddy!
She is a dangerous devil!

I'm so glad Morrissey has called out Islam for what it is rather than the usual "It's a religion of peace" bullshit.

I'm not a Morrissey apologist. I agree with him.

Why should Morrissey pay lip service to a religion(not a race) who readily want homosexuals dead?

Nazism isn't a religion. Pedantry aside, though, I'm just as confused as you as to why he pays lip-service to it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom