Why I'm breaking up with Morrissey by Kevin Hegge - Now Toronto

Why I'm breaking up with Morrissey.

Excerpt:

"What I’m about to write is complicated because I haven’t talked about it much. But I thought it was time to acknowledge it publicly: I have been going through a divorce... with Morrissey.

Although I’ve tried to deny it, I was in a dying relationship. I knew it was over. Still I clung.

I write this confession ahead of the November 17 release of his 11th album, Low In High School, and in wake of a long list of problematic utterances I can no longer co-sign."

https://nowtoronto.com/music/features/why-im-breaking-up-with-morrissey/

Regards,
FWD.

One thing I really don’t understand about Morrissey is that he doesn’t even live in the UK. So why is he so bothered about UK politics, Brexit, immigration.
Yes his mother and sister live in England but I doubt if their lives are really affected by any of the above. It’s not as if saying any of these things will endear him to his audience or garner new recruits.
I have been a Morrissey fan for over 30 years . My wife is of Indian origin. During Quarry phase my wife was hooked as a fan. I can’t even talk about him now as I know that I will be charged with being the supporter of an apparent hypocrit. I even considered boxing all my Moz stuff and sticking it in the loft.
Pilgrimupnorth

If he just said things to get an audience to like him well a lot of us wouldn't be fans in the first place. As to only talking about or caring about places where you currently live, that doesn't make much sense to me. I don't live in Venezuela but I read about and care about what's happening there same as I do about the horror in Myanmar. Same as I do about the brutal gay purge in Chechnya. Hell im American and I'm interested in Brexit. Though I would have voted for remain based on my limited I can understand the feelings of a lot of people who wanted to leave. I'm sure very few of us or any of those who reviewed lihs actually live in Israel but sure seemed to have an opinion about it

If he just said things to get an audience to like him well a lot of us wouldn't be fans in the first place. As to only talking about or caring about places where you currently live, that doesn't make much sense to me. I don't live in Venezuela but I read about and care about what's happening there same as I do about the horror in Myanmar. Same as I do about the brutal gay purge in Chechnya. Hell im American and I'm interested in Brexit. Though I would have voted for remain based on my limited I can understand the feelings of a lot of people who wanted to leave. I'm sure very few of us or any of those who reviewed lihs actually live in Israel but sure seemed to have an opinion about it
I don’t think that Brexit can be compared to the true horrors in other countries.
I voted remain and it really confused me when M denounced remainers.
It was mainly the bigots and narrow minded citizens who voted to leave.

I don’t think that Brexit can be compared to the true horrors in other countries.

I'm very happy to tell you, leave won. Oh, and as of 16/11/2017, leave has STILL won. :lbf:

They thought we'd just rollover and have our tummies tickled, and they've suddenly discovered that the British Bulldog doesn't behave like that. :greatbritain:

Yeah the music on that album is something else.

What lyrics do you think are "clumsy if not ridiculous" Nikita?

Work hard and sweetly pay your taxes
Never asking what for

Police will stun you with their stun guns
Or they'll disable you with tasers
That's what government's for

The rich must profit and get richer
And the poor must stay poor

Each time you vote you support the process
(even though, its repeating gives something to the phrase, which, in itself, is just yawn)

Brazil and Bahrain
Oh, Egypt, Ukraine
So many people in pain

It sounds like it was written by some teenager thinking War is wrong, Peace is good.

Never asking what for

(even though, its repeating gives something to the phrase, which, in itself, is just yawn)

Brazil and Bahrain
Oh, Egypt, Ukraine
So many people in pain

It sounds like it was written by some teenager thinking War is wrong, Peace is good.

I liked a lot of it. Saying that police will stun you with the audacious ways they use there stun guns. The idea that government exists to control the masses for the benefit of the wealthy. The idea that people are expected to pay taxes but don’t really even know where the go or how they benefit those in power like the way the tax payers are paying trump rent in trump tower so that the secret service can protect him since he refuse to stay at the White House or how congressmen pay settlements out of tax revenue for there sexual harassment crimes. The government does seem to only care about the rich at least to a disppaportiknat amount. Countries do make a lot of money off of selling weapons. The voting process alone won’t change things and in some ways falsely justifies a precedent that doesn’t exist

That’s true imo but my point is that you can still care about places and politics where you don’t live and while no brexit isn’t as horrible as any of those atrocities I mentioned it’s also not a minor issue either. I think it wrong to say that brexit was won on a wave of bigotry. To some it was an issue of being able to decide for themselves how they wanted to run there own country. Not everyone who wants to control immigration is racist. It’s hard to keep this in mind when you see bigots mixed in to there side but you can’t paint them all so broadly. The remain side also ran a bad campaign in my opinion by making it seem like there was no other prosperous option but to stay. That they’d all die by starvation if they didn’t stay a part of the e.u and accept here terms of membership. It stunk of financial self interest by many of those speaking and defending staying in as they seemed to loose he most money as well. A majority of britons wanted to keep control of there laws through there own government and were told by people they didn’t elect that they couldn’t and if they wanted that control they’d have to face financial penalties. It’s a mess really but there seemed very little room for compromise. The e.u should remain a financial trading bloc and leave immigration out of the deal but it seem he’ll bent on becoming some sort of overarching government body

That’s true imo but my point is that you can still care about places and politics where you don’t live and while no brexit isn’t as horrible as any of those atrocities I mentioned it’s also not a minor issue either. I think it wrong to say that brexit was won on a wave of bigotry. To some it was an issue of being able to decide for themselves how they wanted to run there own country. Not everyone who wants to control immigration is racist. It’s hard to keep this in mind when you see bigots mixed in to there side but you can’t paint them all so broadly. The remain side also ran a bad campaign in my opinion by making it seem like there was no other prosperous option but to stay. That they’d all die by starvation if they didn’t stay a part of the e.u and accept here terms of membership. It stunk of financial self interest by many of those speaking and defending staying in as they seemed to loose he most money as well. A majority of britons wanted to keep control of there laws through there own government and were told by people they didn’t elect that they couldn’t and if they wanted that control they’d have to face financial penalties. It’s a mess really but there seemed very little room for compromise. The e.u should remain a financial trading bloc and leave immigration out of the deal but it seem he’ll bent on becoming some sort of overarching government body
Trust me. The British Public should never be allowed to vote on such decisions. Too ill informed, narrow minded, scared, easily swayed, badly educated, fearful of those not like them.,,,sound familiar??
Pilgrimupnorth

:rolleyes: I don’t align with his politics anymore either but I wouldn’t throw an artist under the bus the day before an album release for a $200 op-ed that’s been written five times before. Get a life.

Trust me. The British Public should never be allowed to vote on such decisions. Too ill informed, narrow minded, scared, easily swayed, badly educated, fearful of those not like them.,,,sound familiar??
Pilgrimupnorth

The only reason the powerful pay them any attention at all is because they can sway things just like this. If not they wouldn’t bother to invest in public education On the level they do now as they, the common man and woman, wouldn’t matter to them at all. Having he common man endowed with the power to vote on things consequential is essential to them even gettinnpandered towards. It didn’t help that that the remain side seemed to run a fear and shame campaign. You better not vote to leave or everybody starves and of course a vote to leave is declaring yourself a racist. Part of remains problem was that they were over confident and didn’t feel the need to address the leave side with any seriousness. They were only talking to those who already agreed with them. They also lost a lot of older labor voters for this reason and they can also remember a time before they joined the e.u and know the sky won’t fall, at least not forever, if they’re not a part of it. The e.u didn’t leave the uk any room for compromise on immigration and the I’m government wasn’t seriously doing anything about a certain groups economic issues and that overconfidence and neglect lost them the vote which was stupidly called for in the first place

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am just curious, how old are you?

I am old, something like 15 years older than you.
I won’t take it the wrong way and I know young people, just as old people generalize much but there are things that they can relate to, when you love music. Which you do and I do too.

Don’t dismiss Mozzers music yet as when you get older, maybe there could be that sudden moment or feeling or insight and you would appreciate him much more then now.

Or it can happen to you with any kind of music you didn’t like initially.

Maybe it was due to my own personal character and situation at the time but Worldpeace was such a cracker for me.

I guess every Moz-fan or music lover in general has that kind of experience.

Last edited:
Never asking what for

Brazil and Bahrain
Oh, Egypt, Ukraine
So many people in pain

Don't forget this laughable joke..
"Hooray, hooray
The bullfighter dies
Hooray, hooray
The bullfighter dies
And nobody cries
Nobody cries
Because we all want the bull to survive

Gaga in Málaga
No mercy in Murcia
Mental in Valencia
Then someone tells you and you cheer"

How could you sing along to that and not feel like a total tool?

Don't forget this laughable joke..
"Hooray, hooray
The bullfighter dies
Hooray, hooray
The bullfighter dies
And nobody cries
Nobody cries
Because we all want the bull to survive

Gaga in Málaga
No mercy in Murcia
Mental in Valencia
Then someone tells you and you cheer"

How could you sing along to that and not feel like a total tool?

I'm with you, I like Taylor Swift too ! :rock:

check these out...

'
I don't like your little games
Don't like your tilted stage
The role you made me play
Of the fool, no, I don't like you
I don't like your perfect crime
How you laugh when you lie
You said the gun was mine
Isn't cool, no, I don't like you (oh!)
But I got smarter, I got harder in the nick of time
Honey, I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time
I've got a list of names and yours is in red, underlined
I check it once, then I check it twice, oh!
Ooh, look what you made me do
Look what you made me do
Look what you just made me do
Look what you just made me
Ooh, look what you made me do
Look what you made me do
I don't like your kingdom keys
They once belonged to me
You ask me for a place to sleep
Locked me out and threw a feast (what?)

etc.... '

;)

May I ask you what solo Morrissey lyrics you like?
When I started serious record collecting in 1996, I of course got all The Smiths records a quite a few 12" and 7" singles, but mostly sought out all the solo stuff. I guess it was what I heard first, then found out about The Smiths, but it was when Suedehead premiered on 120 Minutes on MTV on a Sunday night. So from that single all the way to Quarry record which was a brilliant record. That's why I can't understand how it all went from Quarry to World Piece? It shows how much talent Alain, Gary and Spencer had. But to show you I am not a Moz solo hater, here is my M solo collection in my discogs collection. Quite a few test pressings, acetates, variants etc.. And lots I added to the discogs database. But you can see I haven't added much since 2007 and nothing in the last few years. In 07, I started on concentrating collecting The Smiths only, no more solo for me. But I keep my Smiths database in excel. So I was not a solo hater. https://www.discogs.com/user/jason29307/collection

I did not ask you to put your balls on the table, just to quote a couple of lyrics you like.

who says ?

Hey Ketamine, I just wanted to mention, I didn't mean to hit four dislikes on your post. I sometimes use a Kindle and it's hard to hit the thumb up or down with these sometimes. My bad, I was meaning to hit thumbs up..

Back
Top Bottom