Where/how did you meet your current/last partner?

Where/how did you meet your current/last partner?

• Friend of a friend

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • At work

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Internet dating

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Internet (other)

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • At a wedding

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • On holiday

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Approached (or was approached) in a bar/club

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Not telling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Never really been out with anyone properly

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters
Hmmm...that Internet hook-ups are a myth? That friends are terrible at matchmaking?

Single people who want to find the man/woman of their dreams are generally expected to go out 'on the pull'. A club, a pub, wherever, the only solution is just to go up to someone you like the look of and ask them out. You hear a lot about chat-up lines. Attractive female celebrities are frequently asked what chat up lines work best. If only you had the confidence, and the right phrase, the woman/man of your dreams is yours...
What complete bollocks! Hardly anyone meets their partner through simply approaching them (or being approached) in a bar or wherever.
Mr Steven Patrick Morrissey is guilty of perpetuating the myth by singing about the club where you could meet somebody who really loves you!
I think this poll supports my theory. Yes, some people meet their partners as strangers in a public place but they are a small minority. For most people it's at work, through friends of friends, maybe on holiday, increasingly on the internet, school/uni/tech/poly etc (apols for missing this; it's been a year or two since my A levels!).
So, to the poor lonely singletons on the board, do not feel the pressure to go out on the pull! Just put yourself in situations where you'll meet people naturally. Easy!

Single people who want to find the man/woman of their dreams are generally expected to go out 'on the pull'. A club, a pub, wherever, the only solution is just to go up to someone you like the look of and ask them out. You hear a lot about chat-up lines. Attractive female celebrities are frequently asked what chat up lines work best. If only you had the confidence, and the right phrase, the woman/man of your dreams is yours...
What complete bollocks! Hardly anyone meets their partner through simply approaching them (or being approached) in a bar or wherever.
Mr Steven Patrick Morrissey is guilty of perpetuating the myth by singing about the club where you could meet somebody who really loves you!
I think this poll supports my theory. Yes, some people meet their partners as strangers in a public place but they are a small minority. For most people it's at work, through friends of friends, maybe on holiday, increasingly on the internet, school/uni/tech/poly etc (apols for missing this; it's been a year or two since my A levels!).
So, to the poor lonely singletons on the board, do not feel the pressure to go out on the pull! Just put yourself in situations where you'll meet people naturally. Easy!

I'm not sure I follow you. Isn't a club a place where you'll meet people naturally? Or do you mean put yourself in situations where you'll get to know a group of people, and somehow a relationship could magically spring up from that? In my case (meeting Mrs. NRitH-to-be in a classroom), she was a complete stranger who happened to look cute, interesting, and intelligent. Sure, neither of us are the club-going types, but the net effect was the same as if we had been.

I have mixed feelings about dating and the internet. I know people who have met others that they are currently either are dating, engaged to, or married to through the internet.

However, there is a downside to using a medium in which you don't stick with your usual social circles. There are some real lulu's.

For example, if you want to meet that special someone who you are going to have to pick up from the bus stop on your first date, who you end up marrying 2 weeks later, and who absconds with thousands of your money, then Craig's List is the place.

Don't try to approach them on a bus because they will think you are a nutjob. I found out the hard way.
Bookshops are another no-no.

Met him at my place... I talked to a friend at msn, and she asked whether she could bring "Rob" to my party that night, and I said "yes, who's that?" "some guy" she said. I said, "he's mine", as a joke. It turned out we made out that entire night, and have dated since:o So, friend of friend

What about adult bookshops?

I thought we were talking about long-term relationships, not a reading room romp.

Then why didn't that nice chap in the bookshop start talking to me when I looked at the same books as him? I feel like I'm missing out. :p

Fact: Men do not connect "She's looking at the same book as me" with "She obviously wants some steamy lit-geek lovin'."
OK, some do, but they're usually pretty easy to spot (see previous quote).

Coiff.

My ex was the singer of the band I used to play in.

I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN. :D

I would, on the other hand, advise people to visit a club that still does an "erection section" of a night, when the lights are dimmed, and the music is slow, and the air whiffs of desperation. For the uneducated, it starts at 1.45am and ends at 2.00am. Fifteen minutes with you? ...

I met him as a waitress in a cocktail bar...

Do the door test

Last edited by a moderator:
I would, on the other hand, advise people to visit a club that still does an "erection section" of a night, when the lights are dimmed, and the music is slow, and the air whiffs of desperation. For the uneducated, it starts at 1.45am and ends at 2.00am. Fifteen minutes with you? ...

this is some great advice right here. :p

Back
Top Bottom