The official ART thread

I was going to go today and see some of it. The gallery is only a few minutes walk from my office, but I never got a break.

I might just have to take a half-day. :thumb:

Skiving off for art's sake? Do it with your head held high. :)

I adore Zdzislaw Beksinski's art.
All weird and bit disturbing but, I love his works :)

5zdzislawbeksinski0509.jpg

7232000.jpg

zdzislawbeksinski19784.jpg

1247980421.jpg

vdtbeksinski.jpg

http://www.beksinski.pl

Last edited:
I adore Zdzislaw Beksinski's art.
All weird and bit disturbing but, I love his works :)

Have you seen Barlowe's "Inferno"? These pictures remind me of it. The book is essentially his take on hell, really interesting. He usually doesn't do such gothic stuff, more fantasy, sci fi, and nature scenes. His paintings are awesome.

RPV62.jpg

BARLOWESINFERNO.jpg

Heres' a gallery with bigger, better pictures and links to other projects.
http://www.waynebarlowe.com/barlowe_pages/index_inferno.htm

I fell in love with the work of Will Cotton today! He paints candy and pretty girls. I like his cotton-candy cloud paintings. Here's a sample:

will1.jpg

will2.jpg

will3.jpg

will4.jpg

will5.jpg

These are a few of my favorites from a recent visit to the Detroit Institute of Arts. I saw the Avedon photo exhibit which was breathtaking. These photos aren't the best because I couldn't use a flash and I'm not a great photographer, but enjoy anyways!

And yes they're huge. Think of it as being up close and personal.

Here's Saint Sebastian, carved in wood by an unknown Austrian around 1500. Doesn't his face look like Oscar Wilde's?

sebastian2.jpg

Self-Portrait by Salvator Rosa:

rosa.jpg

Close-up of Monet's Gladioli:

monet2.jpg

Sampson and Delilah by Batoni:

sampson2.jpg

Judith and Her Maidservant with the Head of Holofernes by Artemisia Gentileschi:

judith.jpg

Melancholy Woman, Picasso:

picassomelancholy.jpg

Before Sunrise, Dwight William Tryon:

beforesunrise.jpg

Evocation of Butterflies by Odilon Redon:

redon.jpg

More...

Portrait of Postman Roulin, Van Gogh (I love this frame):

vg2.jpg

An Old Man by Jusepe de Ribera:

oldman.jpg

Close up of the Spanish Gates...

spanishgates2.jpg

...which lead to Diego Rivera's famous Detroit Industry mural (this is just the South wall):

rivera3.jpg

Egyptian Sacred Cat of Bast:

egyptiancat.jpg

I want these in my house. (Trefoil Vase 1905-07 by Wilhemina Post, Grueby Faience Company; Orange Berry Vase 1902 by Harriet Joor, Newcomb College Pottery; Rozane "Della Robbia" Vase 1906/1908 by Frederick Hurten Rhead, Roseville Pottery Company):

vases.jpg

Tree of Life Window - Franklin Lloyd Wright:

wright.jpg

Orrefors Bowl:

orreforsbowl.jpg

Just one more, I promise!

Zephyr Dancing with Flora by Benzoni (this just glows supernaturally):

flora1.jpg

Girl Bathing, by Richard James Wyatt:

wyatt.jpg

Eve, by Rodin:

rodinevebronze.jpg

The Age of Bronze, Rodin:

rodin.jpg

Look at his feet! *giggle*

armor.jpg

Greek Standing Youth:

youth.jpg

Beautiful heads (Jewish Boy by Medardo Rosso; Reverie by Elie Nadelman; Portrait of Charlotte Meissonier by Vincenzo Gemito):

heads.jpg

And let's end it all in Paris, because only stone and steel....

Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris by Childe Hassam:

hassam.jpg

AMAZING Je Suis Julie. I feel like I've been to the museum in my pajamas. :p

Incidently and super cool for me to see was the painting in the background of this one, I believe it's of Zeus? I once wrote several times a day to a (now defunct) mind babie blog and in one of my studies I referenced that painting. :p It was so cool to just see it minding it's own business in the background. The paintings are so much larger in real life, I love that about going to the museum.

Zephyr Dancing with Flora by Benzoni (this just glows supernaturally):

flora1.jpg

And regarding Zephyr and Flora, it never ceases to amaze me that an artist can take a single block of marble and make something so beautiful, moving, graceful, realistic, and soft. It's amazing what sculpters do. I remember a quote in art school, something about a conversation between a sculptor and a non-artist and when questioned how he does it says, "I simply take away what isn't the piece." It's that easy, kids! :p

These are all lovely Julie :thumb: I love Diego Rivera.

This is by Irish artist Paki Smith:
paki_smith_1.jpg

I only wish I could find more of his work on the interwebz. His journals are really interesting.

And some Degas, because why not. :)
degas001.jpg

degas_blue_dancers.jpg

^OH, I love Degas, too!

Y'all know how much I love modern artist Niagara, and today there is a new article about her, which I've just read, and it makes me love her even more! I have to go pick up a hard copy now.

http://www.metrotimes.com/music/story.asp?id=14621

CoverSmall.jpg

Niagara's inspiration rises from books and movies. "Movies play a big part in inspiring me. They keep getting better because everything in life keeps getting worse. I watch movies a lot when I paint, especially from the '30s, and I've been reading tons of books about the '30s and '40s and much earlier. It's so nice to go backwards. They couldn't make movies anymore that look like they did then, such perfectionism. … Of course, glamour isn't what it used to be."

Niagara's work is arresting, sexy and violent, but not gratuitous; there's enough bare flesh to be titillate but enough simple suggestion to retain dignity. Our imaginations are allowed to roam because, mainly, her work is full of life; it's fun — a kind of antithesis to academic art pretensions.​

09_BIG_Spell.jpg

Last edited:
Today, I am enjoying the work of Robert Lucander. :)
40.jpg

artwork_images_424467736_504563_robert-lucander.jpg

ROBERT-LUKANDER-AKTIV.jpg

I thought some folks in the LA area might be interested in going to this booksigning. I would go if I were there!:

book.jpg

Book Signing

THE TREE SHOW EXHIBITION BOOK

Saturday, January 30, 2010
from 1 – 3 pm

Mark Ryden will sign copies of his newest release "The Tree Show" (2009), a hardcover collection of recent works.

Art Los Angeles Contemporary Art Fair
Pacific Design Center
(taking place on the 2nd floor of the Pacific Design Center, the blue building, at the ARTBOOK booth, H10)

Pacific Design Center
8687 Melrose Avenue
West Hollywood, California 90069

...which lead to Diego Rivera's famous Detroit Industry mural (this is just the South wall):

rivera3.jpg

This is my favorite picture of Frida Kahlo. It's her at the DIA during the painting of the murals. She's up in that area that they used to call 'The Member's Lounge'...I don't know if it's still open to the public, but when I was in college in the 80's you could walk up the stairs but there was nothing up there but a couch or bench and a couple end tables. I want to have my picture taken in this exact spot sometime when I'm home and looking pensive.

frida.jpg

This is my favorite picture of Frida Kahlo. It's her at the DIA during the painting of the murals. She's up in that area that they used to call 'The Member's Lounge'...I don't know if it's still open to the public, but when I was in college in the 80's you could walk up the stairs but there was nothing up there but a couch or bench and a couple end tables. I want to have my picture taken in this exact spot sometime when I'm home and looking pensive.

frida.jpg

Fantastic photo, Gretchen! Thank you!!
She must have been standing up here, on the East side of the mural. You can see the reclining figure and large fist in the upper left corner of this photo:

rivera2.jpg

When I was there the stairs were roped off and there was a lady sitting at the information desk right next to them. Next time, I'll try to sneak up there ;)

And for those who are interested, here's the full North side of the mural (hard to see at this angle with sun, I know):

rivera1.jpg

And the West side, with the beautiful Spanish gates and Henry Ford scowling behind a desk in the lower right corner:

rivera4.jpg

Speaking of Diego/Frida, I am currently reading Frida Kahlo's diaries. Wonderful. :thumb:
FridaKahlo-Diary-Pages-04.jpg

Today for the first time I saw Salvador Dali's 'Bird With A Ruby In It's Beak' and I'm in love...
uccello_con_rubino_to_begin.jpg

So beautiful. :love:

I'm going on an artsy trip to Madrid next week, so hopefully I will return to Solo with muchos fotos from the Museo Prado, Thyssen Bornemisza, Reina Sofia, and other names I can't pronounce. :)

Tags
art no moz pix omg colorz wutizdat
Back
Top Bottom