RIP Andy Rourke (May 19, 2023)

aoJ0vqTsewg8x2mWZ71sf24kVGS.jpg

Oh man, this hurts. Tweet from Johnny:

Screenshot_20230519-155603.png

Related items:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just remembered that when Andy was photographed with the custom Fender, he Tweeted something like "Thank you Fender for rushing this through for me." At the time it could have meant anything but now, it seems he knew he didn't have a lot of time left. I have no idea how a person comes to terms with that. I get the impression from Sonny's post that Johnny returned the Rourke family's old favour to him and moved Andy in to spend time with him during those last months. God go with them all.
Johnny and Andy lived together these last months? And who’s Sonny?

Nice little segment. Rourke seems warm and easygoing as always. I think someone mentioned on here that Archie Swift passed away recently, too. He appears to have had a gruff but genial style.

"We had a couple of Mexicans in here last year." 🇲🇽 :)

Johnny and Andy lived together these last months? And who’s Sonny?
I don't know, I'm just saying that it's the impression I get from her post. Sonny is Johnny's daughter.

Didn't expect the melancholy to hit so hard today, but then I realised that there has virtually never been a day since 1983 when Andy's playing hasn't reverberated around my headphones, my bedroom, my car speakers, or even just inside my head.
Every bit as unique a player as Johnny was/is, his bass contributed MASSIVELY to the sound of The Smiths. And surely he should have been given writing credits for a few songs('Back To The Old House' for one, and most certainly 'Barbarism...'; no way did Johnny write that bass run!!)

I think a lot of the sadness also comes from the fact that this really is The End. The Smiths are finally laid to rest today. While it was very highly unlikely that the original 4 would ever grace a stage as one again, there was always that tiny grain of hope. Sadly, that's it my friends.

Rest In Peace Andy...Bass King🎸

There Is A Light....💔💔

Didn't expect the melancholy to hit so hard today, but then I realised that there has virtually never been a day since 1983 when Andy's playing hasn't reverberated around my headphones, my bedroom, my car speakers, or even just inside my head.
Every bit as unique a player as Johnny was/is, his bass contributed MASSIVELY to the sound of The Smiths. And surely he should have been given writing credits for a few songs('Back To The Old House' for one, and most certainly 'Barbarism...'; no way did Johnny write that bass run!!)

I think a lot of the sadness also comes from the fact that this really is The End. The Smiths are finally laid to rest today. While it was very highly unlikely that the original 4 would ever grace a stage as one again, there was always that tiny grain of hope. Sadly, that's it my friends.

Rest In Peace Andy...Bass King🎸

There Is A Light....💔💔
Yes, I share these thoughts. The knowledge that this is truly the end of the band as it was, and with it, all the history and, however unlikely, the hope. Incredibly sad. It's just absurdly impossible, I know, but oh how I wish this could prompt Morrissey and Marr to reconnect somehow. Life's so short.

Yes, I share these thoughts. The knowledge that this is truly the end of the band as it was, and with it, all the history and, however unlikely, the hope. Incredibly sad. It's just absurdly impossible, I know, but oh how I wish this could prompt Morrissey and Marr to reconnect somehow. Life's so short.
If this doesn't prompt them to at least be civil and stop sniping at each other, nothing ever will.

No words can ever describe what Andy gave to The Smiths, and all of us.
It’s just a horrific day for all who knew and listened to him.

Had a few beers at Alderley Edge May Fair and watching this with wet eyes, loved seeing it at the time and now it makes sense, they both knew what was coming and it was a chance for them to play together for one last time, how dreadfully sad yet poignant at the same time:(

Last edited:
Play it again, Andy ... wherever you are 💔
FweT5RnXoAERduY

So, our fears were true. This is disgusting. Devastating. One of my all time favorite bass players. For me, it’s him, Hooky and Simon Gallup.

It feels unreal, horrific, that a member of The Smiths has died.
100%. Could not agree with you more. It feels weird even thinking of playing a Smiths record but somehow it feels like the right thing to do. Tonight my friend and I (in separate houses) have played Meat Is Murder and Hatful Of Hollow in honour of Andy. As Moz says, Andy will live forever.

🌴🌴With our deep and most sincere condolences to Andy's family and friends. Most sorry you lost your good friend to Mike, Johnny and yes..Morrissey..of course ! This is a most sad moment...R.I.P. ANDY... Heaven got the best bass player ever. 🌴David, Molly, Zack, Maggy and Rocco...Park Blvd San Diego Smiths Gang🌴

I know it’s over…. Terrific bass player and author of some highlights of the smiths listening experience.

Just posting because it's sweet little interview and he made me laugh with "no one seems to mention Bill Wyman for some reason" even if he didn't mean it that way.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom