Paul Morrissey can't sing....

lilikoi

I borrowed this singing technique book (from 1998) from the library today and there's a huge photo of PAUL morrissey in there, and then under the vocal tips it says:

if your voice can't handle certain parts then change them so you can sing them. another technique is to accept your shortcomings and even exagerate them, like robert smith from the cure and paul morrissey from the smiths have done in a quite controversial but still successful way.

OUCH

:rolleyes:

So do you think they mean Paul or Steven? I've never heard Paul. But if they mean our Moz, which would those shortcomings be?

Perhaps sometimes growling in order to conceal an unstable voice during demanding live moments. And a very frequent use of the falsetto? Those are all I can think of.

So do you think they mean Paul or Steven? I've never heard Paul. But if they mean our Moz, which would those shortcomings be?

Perhaps sometimes growling in order to conceal an unstable voice during demanding live moments. And a very frequent use of the falsetto? Those are all I can think of.

they mean our moz - there's a picture of him in there. paul morrissey is not a singer but a movie director ;-)

not a mean thread - no - of course I don't agree with the book - it's foolish - thow I do believe mozzers voice did indeed get better and better. back in the smiths he was singing in a rather monotonous way indeed - which I also find great - but now he's really quite a singer.

Interesting. I wonder what he'd say about other famous singers with unique sounding voices, like Crazy Frog, for example ;)

I have friends who say, very apologetically, that they simply can't listen to Morrissey because they don't like his voice. Fair enough, to each their own!

Interesting. I wonder what he'd say about other famous singers with unique sounding voices, like Crazy Frog, for example ;)

I have friends who say, very apologetically, that they simply can't listen to Morrissey because they don't like his voice. Fair enough, to each their own!

he said many times that most singers can't sing and are absolutely awful. he's a bit harsh on everyone. (the only thing I really don't like about him that much)

Right... now you see I know nothing about films, which is a quite embarrassing. :p

he did those obscure andy warhol factory movies like trash and flesh etc... I really laughed when I saw that photo of moz in that singing book with paul morrissey written underneath :D

but the book is right: paul morrissey really can't sing :p

Paul Morrissey?

1123888516_l.jpg

:p

Oddly, the guy sings pretty well.
Ditto the one on the right.

they mean our moz - there's a picture of him in there. paul morrissey is not a singer but a movie director ;-)

not a mean thread - no - of course I don't agree with the book - it's foolish - thow I do believe mozzers voice did indeed get better and better. back in the smiths he was singing in a rather monotonous way indeed - which I also find great - but now he's really quite a singer.
Actually, Morrissey's 'monotoneous' singing was only present on early Smiths stuff and disappeared by the time "Meat Is Murder" was recorded.

If the writers of that book wanted an example of a GREAT (and very idiosyncratic) 'monotoneous' singer, they should have named Nico.

His voice has changed over the years, but even through the change it still, of course sounds beautiful.

If the writers of that book wanted an example of a GREAT (and very idiosyncratic) 'monotoneous' singer, they should have named Nico.

i couldn't agree more.
you're a big linder fan, right?
i've always thought of her as a nico that can sing
although i still adore nico
she's one my biggest vocal inspirations

She is a great romodel. A great vegetarian, profeminist, singer, photographer, and writer. I really admire her for the time she performed wearing a coat of animal skin and also put a pad on every plate with a read stain on each. I think it was an awesome way of showing her beliefs and her strong intellectualism.

Actually, Morrissey's 'monotoneous' singing was only present on early Smiths stuff and disappeared by the time "Meat Is Murder" was recorded.

I think this is a really good point. What we have here is the vocal equivalent of those British comedians trying to impersonate Moz by wearing baggy clothes and swinging glads. Must be absolutely maddening to see your early creative life go from caricature to accepted persona.

Personally (and I know many of you will agree), I have a hard time understanding when a friend complains about his voice. All hyperbole aside, I think his delivery is beautiful, and chilling, etc. His phrasing is sometimes stunning...

She is a great romodel. A great vegetarian, profeminist, singer, photographer, and writer. I really admire her for the time she performed wearing a coat of animal skin and also put a pad on every plate with a read stain on each.
...actually, a 'dress' of discarded pieces of raw meat from a restaurant.

Some people are really prepared to endure a lot for the sake of making an artistic/political statement. I could never do that. It must have been really nauseating. :eek:

She is a great romodel. A great vegetarian, profeminist, singer, photographer, and writer. I really admire her for the time she performed wearing a coat of animal skin and also put a pad on every plate with a read stain on each. I think it was an awesome way of showing her beliefs and her strong intellectualism.

wow - I wanna see this, maybe I can find it on you tube.
she sounds extremely cool - no wonder she's morrissey's best friend !

Back
Top Bottom