Johnny Marr responds to Morrissey's open letter via Twitter (January 26, 2022)

Last edited by a moderator:
The most tragic thing about this is that after all these years they are still moaning to each other about something as trivial as 'Golden Lights'. For feck's sake - let it go!

In fairness, I think that's basically what Morrissey is saying too - it's Marr who keeps dredging up the 'Golden Lights'/'Work is a Four Letter Word' anecdotes, and although on one level Morrissey is obviously saying "If you didn't want to play on it, you shouldn't have played on it" on another level, he's citing that particular song without any explanation, and yet we all know what he's talking about - which is his point. It's Morrissey who's saying "Let 'Golden Lights' go, for feck's sake!" and his more general point is "Let me go, and let the Smiths go, and live in the here and now, and trade on the merits of your solo achievements, for what they're worth". I'm guessing his fundamental grievance is basically "If you're not going to support me in public against all the haters, and worse if you're actually going to side with them, then please just don't discuss me at all".

Oh wow, he’s hip and uses social media instead of a good old fashioned letter.
His million fans were missing when his last single went in at a whopping No 99.
Maybe you can take your own advice and sit on e
his social media sites, rather than spewing the same old tired Morrissey complaining on here, day in, day out.

LePepe non existing singles made no 1:lbf:
LePepe knowing there was no such single thanked the bogus chart on his social media. thats how LePepe rolls, fake non existing stuff.:lbf:
I never seen that before a single that doesnt exist make no 1 leave it to LePepe
that FB page is dead no activityo_O last Moz went to NO 1:bow:
real single.:hammer:

I do. I've lived in south Manchester for 18 years. I heard about Morrissey meeting Marr in the pub shortly after it happened, years before it became public knowledge. I've never heard any terrible "career-ending" stories about Morrissey.

Just of curiosity, since you sound reasonably sane by the standards of this forum, how do you get to hear about the pub meet-up? Was it discussed much at the time, and by whom? I'm interested as to why it didn't become public knowledge until Marr mentioned it.

Just of curiosity, since you sound reasonably sane by the standards of this forum, how do you get to hear about the pub meet-up? Was it discussed much at the time, and by whom? I'm interested as to why it didn't become public knowledge until Marr mentioned it.
:)

how did he hear about it?? WTF?? how do you think? PepeLePew went around telling everybody. :ahhh:
the LePepe version is dubious at best, mostly made up, like most LePepe activity.:censored:

:hammer:

It was reported on this site, I think. Although I'm not sure it was generally believed.

A friend of mine knew someone who was there at the time. They even told me which pub it was but for the life of me I can't remember that now.

Last edited:
A friend of mine knew someone who was there at the time! They even told me which pub it was but for the life of me I can't remember that now.

Thanks. So what did your friend tell you? Was it just a sort of casual "Oh, you like that band The Smiths, don't you? I know someone who saw Morrissey and Marr in X pub the other day" or was it a die-hard fan who was really excited about what he/she had been told?

Thanks. So what did your friend tell you? Was it just a sort of casual "Oh, you like that band The Smiths, don't you? I know someone who saw Morrissey and Marr in X pub the other day" or was it a die-hard fan who was really excited about what he/she had been told?
It was someone from the Manchester musical underground! They'd either been invited along by Johnny or had got to hear about it and so just turned up. It seemed like it wasn't just Morrissey and Marr there. Anyway, apparently this person witnessed the whole conversation about the proposed "reunion". They actually quoted bits to me, but again I can't remember what they said now.

Last edited:
I actually do not know what that picture of M and Marr together, relates to or I think I did but I have forgot now (If anyone wants to PM me , I wont call Barb Woodhouse)
Also, I have no idea at all what this criminal thing is that was meant to have split up the smiths.

In truth there isn't anything now that would cancel M, for good. Hes loved too much and love will protect him.

I am amazed by the "fan" who said its been 18 months now since his mother died, so basically he should be fine and dandy.
What kind of a mind thinks things like that?
You never ever get over the death of a loved one, you learn to cope ..You do not move on .
Also, we are talking about his mum THE love of his life and we are talking about a Brit with Irish linage, we have deep emotions and they are many.
Its remarkable the kind of filth that passes for a M fab, these days

Uyy In Argentina were news that occupied half a page in an important newspaper, but it hurts that the note did not refer to the reunion of the two, it referred to the fight between Morrissey-Marr

The thing about the two of us is we heard and saw things in records that weren’t even there.
That makes three of us, Johnny! (I even saw a pink hippo in "if you don't like me, don't look at me" once, but it was only Morrissey in a sauna)(I may have been inadvertently blocking the door).
I reckon that IF our Moz was drunk and IF he haughtily enquired "do you know WHO I am?!!!" then the only rational explanation is that someone spiked his drink and he genuinely didn't know who he was himself. It's really obvious when you work it out.
I know!
I've always wanted to say that myself, but I'm too afraid people would think it's early onset doggydementia... :(

It's Morrissey who's saying "Let 'Golden Lights' go, for feck's sake!" and his more general point is "Let me go, and let the Smiths go, and live in the here and now, and trade on the merits of your solo achievements, for what they're worth".

And yet.... Morrissey has played 47 separate Smiths songs live as a solo artist. So much for "Trading on the merits of your solo achievements."

"Let me go, and let the Smiths go, and live in the here and now, and trade on the merits of your solo achievements, for what they're worth". I'm guessing his fundamental grievance is basically "If you're not going to support me in public against all the haters, and worse if you're actually going to side with them, then please just don't discuss me at all".
Exactly.

"Let me go, and let the Smiths go, and live in the here and now, and trade on the merits of your solo achievements" = how Moz wants people to view the letter.

"If you're not going to support me in public against all the haters, and worse if you're actually going to side with them, then please just don't discuss me at all" = what the letter is really about.

The hypocrisy of telling someone else to "move on" whilst he sits autographing Hand in Glove and writing pissy letters into the night, just to settle a score with an ex-bandmate... it's a bit much.

Last edited:
I am still shocked by Moz's letter to Marr. I think it was sensitive and profound, is that Morrissey got tired of receiving criticism and feels used by Johnny, who apparently names moz a lot but does not remember him with happiness, for someone like Moz who gives importance to certain values such as friendship, those mentions that Marr makes of him are more disappointments that he receives again and again, over and over again,... he got tired and I capture it in that open letter, he vented.........

Haslam..........the biggest c*** sucker on the planet.
It must suck to be Marr during an interview, the typical question he probably gets is:

"So you released a new album and you are planning a world tour, that's nice... Let's talk about something interesting anyway: Morrissey".

And I am not even being ironic.

A compatriot of mine made a video of Moz where Johnny attacked him by the neck with a bow... Moz posted it in central and it was published here too, I asked him why he had made Marr so bad with Moz and he told me that he finished reading autobio and realized that Moz leaves Marr badly off because Johnny claimed to be his friend, but he didn't defend him when Moz needed him, and that was more serious than the harm others did to him, because JMarr claimed to be his friend

She believes Moz leaves Johnny in a very bad position because he claimed to be his friend and did not prove it..... Reading now autobio I realize that it is true, ... J Marr invented the nickname Moz in a cruel way, to call it Moz making a play on words that derives from misero.osea unhappy and everything negative that has that word, it is not from a good friend, and when Moz was slandered Johnny looked away, he seems to be one of those people who want to look good with everyone, like a bit fake JM

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom